JFK EWR to Manhattan

tross1970

Looking to fly into Either JFK or EWR and use public transportation to get into Manhattan for the night prior to our cruise leaving out of the Port of Manhattan. If air prices are comparable, which is easiest and most cost effective way to get into Manhattan as well as any recommendations for hotel close to port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Looking to fly into Either JFK or EWR and use public transportation to get into Manhattan for the night prior to our cruise leaving out of the Port of Manhattan. If air prices are comparable, which is easiest and most cost effective way to get into Manhattan as well as any recommendations for hotel close to port.

What is the exact date you need a hotel? What is your hotel budget? How many people?

I would focus first on finding a hotel within your budget. If that's not possible, then flying in EWR and staying there will likely give you hotel options within your budget. Staying in JFK hotels is not recommended.

A basic public transit method to Manhattan from both airports is airtrain to trains which go to New York Penn Station. Another option is airport bus. From JFK just taking the Airtrain and regular subway is also an option.

Staying anywhere in midtown Manhattan, which would include the NewYork Penn Station area, will be a short taxi ride to the port.

What is the exact date you need a hotel? What is your hotel budget? How many people?

I would focus first on finding a hotel within your budget. If that's not possible, then flying in EWR and staying there will likely give you hotel options within your budget. Staying in JFK hotels is not recommended.

A basic public transit method to Manhattan from both airports is airtrain to trains which go to New York Penn Station. Another option is airport bus. From JFK just taking the Airtrain and regular subway is also an option.

Staying anywhere in midtown Manhattan, which would include the NewYork Penn Station area, will be a short taxi ride to the port.[/quote

There are 3 of us and we would arrive on 9/8/17. Would love to find something around $200 but not sure if that is possible. Would like to be close to the port but anything with a quick cab ride is fine. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Staying anywhere in midtown Manhattan, which would include the NewYork Penn Station area, will be a short taxi ride to the port.[/quote

There are 3 of us and we would arrive on 9/8/17. Would love to find something around $200 but not sure if that is possible. Would like to be close to the port but anything with a quick cab ride is fine. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

September is high season. I'm not seeing anything I would suggest in the $200 range. Hotwire is having a sale, but when you pick the bed size (higher price for 2 doubles), and add on the taxes and fees, a $200 hotel becomes $288.

I'm seeing a number of acceptable hotels at EWR that would be about $150 including tax.

Still don't understand the need to be close to the port, which is out of the way on the Hudson River on the west side. What are you planning to do in NYC? If you're not going to wander around, you might as well stay at EWR and take the airport bus into Manhattan the next morning.

Thank you all for help. Decided to stay the night in Newark at the Hampton...$132/ night and take the train into the city for the day to explore and have dinner at Carmine's.

Thank you all for help. Decided to stay the night in Newark at the Hampton...$132/ night and take the train into the city for the day to explore and have dinner at Carmine's.

Sounds like a plan!

• 4 weeks later...

Do you know if there is an airport transfer bus from LGA to the Brooklyn port? ( for Regal Princess ?? )

If so, do you know the cost per person? TIA

Are you on the Sunshine to Canada/NE? 9/9? We are too! Can't help much with your question - we live in NJ and use an airport limo service. - just wondering if you are in our roll call. It's quite a good size.

Sounds like you have gotten some good advice on where to stay.

I will suggest if you are planning to visit the 9/11 Memorial or the Statue of Liberty to get tickets in advance on the websites.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

x

Not asking about Princess transfers. Asking if there are airport shuttle buses like supershuttle or primetime in other cities. They are usually more reasonable than the cruiseline rates

Supershuttle exists in NYC, but it's generally not recommended because as a shared shuttle, it can go to several destinations before dropping you off. Cruisers are a very very small number of people in relation to the number of airline passengers coming into the New York airports on the morning of any cruise. No one on this board is going to recommend a shared shuttle from LGA to the Brooklyn Cruiseport on the morning of a cruise. Car Service is the best recommendation because it is a fixed price instead of a metered ride which can be significantly affected by the current traffic conditions.

What is your exact date and plane arrival time?

Supershuttle exists in NYC, but it's generally not recommended because as a shared shuttle, it can go to several destinations before dropping you off. Cruisers are a very very small number of people in relation to the number of airline passengers coming into the New York airports on the morning of any cruise. No one on this board is going to recommend a shared shuttle from LGA to the Brooklyn Cruiseport on the morning of a cruise. Car Service is the best recommendation because it is a fixed price instead of a metered ride which can be significantly affected by the current traffic conditions.

What is your exact date and plane arrival time?

You are so right. Did not think of the possibility of a shared shuttle going to other locations other than the port. Based on information you have shared, a car service is the best choice. Thank you for all your help and info provided.

Did this last year but spent 3 overnights in the area before the cruise. From EWR you can catch a bus and it will bring you to Port Autority in Manhattan. Easy ride but might get stuck in some bad traffic. It looks like this is normal for NYC so just be patient:) as far as hotel in Manhattan everything was very expensive so we staid in New Jersey Super 8 and in the morning of the cruise we took a taxi. I believe we paid 50$ or even less.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Forums mobile app