Solstice & Cyclone Pam

hammo

We have just been told that Cyclone Pam has developed in the South Pacific and with our cruise heading to Noumea , Lifou and Isle de Pins this weekend , will Solstice sail into this or make other arrangements? Looks like it will be a rough cruise.:eek:

We have just been told that Cyclone Pam has developed in the South Pacific and with our cruise heading to Noumea , Lifou and Isle de Pins this weekend , will Solstice sail into this or make other arrangements? Looks like it will be a rough cruise.:eek:

From what we've seen in media here in NZ it's supposed to have moved on through by the time we sail. But we know cyclones are unpredictable and I guess our itinerary will be changed if not. I'm preferring to think that it will be the case and the seas less rough!! :confused::cool:

Hard to say at this point.

They have redirected other cruises originally planned to that region in the past week, so it's certainly possible. But they do it based on what conditions are expected to be like when you get there, so that's changed since those other cruises left.

We have friends on Voyager of the Seas sailing from Sydney to Fiji and back. They had to dock at Noumea and turn around because of the cyclone. Huge disappointment for all. They are now on their way to Hobart where they will stay overnight. People packed for Fiji not Hobart so they may have to buy some warmer clothes when they get there.

Ugh.. how disappointing. We're 99% sure we're cancelling our Great Barrier Reef cruise on Solstice and doing a land trip at another time of year. Not fun sailing in Cyclone season.

Which sailing was that? We are booked on Millennium this time next year sailing from Singapore to Sydney. Bad idea?

Which sailing was that? We are booked on Millennium this time next year sailing from Singapore to Sydney. Bad idea?

We're booked for March 2017 but i think we're moving it to a land trip in September/October 2016 we're very interested in Queensland and March is still cyclone, rain, humidity and jelly fish season :(. A lot of Aussies are always asking why ships do that route at the worst time of year so we've decided not to chance it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With Voyager being turned around and heading to Tasmania :eek::eek:instaed of Fiji , I'm not sure whether we should pack snorkles and flippers or heavy coats !

The cyclones are making big news here now so we are certainly concerned:(

Can anyone advise me on what options are available if our cruise to Noumea etc is redirected to a new itinerary such as Melbourne (Where we live ) and Hobart , where we dont want to go ( no offence Tassie ) . We are set to embark Saturday and the Cyclone Pam may still be a problem .

Yes , we were hoping Celebrity would be forthcoming with an update . What do we pack -- no point in packing bathers etc - shorts , tshirts & thongs if we are destined for Tassie . We should get a"heads Up" at least so we can plan . :confused:

Yes , we were hoping Celebrity would be forthcoming with an update . What do we pack -- no point in packing bathers etc - shorts , tshirts & thongs if we are destined for Tassie . We should get a"heads Up" at least so we can plan . :confused:

I suggest you pack for both types of weather, even if you go north, you may need a jacket.

At this stage it's too fluid for them to say.

Current forecasts for the 14th have both Nathan and Pam in the area. By the time your cruise is targeted to reach there is another few days later though and it's too early to call.

Cyclones are very unpredictable so it's not possible to forecast the situation a week out.

Thanks for the input Mic & Big M .

Its only 2 days till sail and with other ships being redirected I guess its reasonable to assume we will also as the cyclones look menacing . We dont mind where we go really , it will be great to be back on Solstice , its just that I feel some communication from Celebrity would be appreciated . Obviously most who are sailing are aware of the weather situation , certainly Celebrity are , and finding out at the last minute that the cruise we were expecting is no longer is problematic . We would like the opportunity to maybe try and make some onshore plans (day excursions) such as maybe hire car etc as it will be difficult to do that once onboard. 1000 passengers in the ilounge :eek:

Cruisers could also cancel any arrangements made and have a day or so to make new ones. Remember also Mic , at the moment our suitcases are geared for the South Pacific not Tassie ., Already includes rain gear , but it would look different if we were planning a cruise south instead of north ! We only get 20kg so its hard to pack for both - ask the missus !

Thanks for the input Mic & Big M .

Its only 2 days till sail and with other ships being redirected I guess its reasonable to assume we will also as the cyclones look menacing . We dont mind where we go really , it will be great to be back on Solstice , its just that I feel some communication from Celebrity would be appreciated . Obviously most who are sailing are aware of the weather situation , certainly Celebrity are , and finding out at the last minute that the cruise we were expecting is no longer is problematic . We would like the opportunity to maybe try and make some onshore plans (day excursions) such as maybe hire car etc as it will be difficult to do that once onboard. 1000 passengers in the ilounge :eek:

Cruisers could also cancel any arrangements made and have a day or so to make new ones. Remember also Mic , at the moment our suitcases are geared for the South Pacific not Tassie ., Already includes rain gear , but it would look different if we were planning a cruise south instead of north ! We only get 20kg so its hard to pack for both - ask the missus !

I understand, the packing issues, that flying in or out can cause only too well. Good luck and hopefully , you will get a nice cruise and a few ports where you can explore wherever they may be.

You should be fine - Pam & Nathan will be gone . We still do not know how our cruise departing Sat will turn out . I predict huge crowds at the bars if we are heading south !

You should be fine - Pam & Nathan will be gone . We still do not know how our cruise departing Sat will turn out . I predict huge crowds at the bars if we are heading south !

That would happen no matter which direction you sail, at least the cyclones should be gone by the time you get anywhere near them.:D