Excursions Myanmar

Chris Holland

Hi,

I am going on my first cruise this December on Holland America on the Asian adventure.

I am trying to organise a couple of day tours while we are in Yangon, but the ones that arn't organised by the ship. I have contacted a few companies about this and received some responses.

But once I received was a little odd.

It states that "We also need a document on behalf of cruise Management which indicates that they allow the authorization for our company for ground handling of 05 persons visiting around Yangon.

If not, we had to add 120$/pax (i.e: 100$/pax as government tax+ 20$/pax for ground permission fees). Kindly note that these charges go directly to Ministry of Tourism Authority in Myanmar."

Does anyone know if this is correct?

Also any recommendations for tour companies?

Thanks,

• 1 month later...

We have just returned from our cruise when we were docked for three days in Myanmar.

To answer some of the questions:

1. The ship provided the visa

2. The weather was unbelievably hot and very humid. An air conditioned car is essential.

We used a fabulous guide called Tony. His English was very good and he organised a modern air conditioned car and driver and for a very reasonable price. We had the most fantastic time looking round Yangon (Rangoon), Bago and Thilawa.

Tony suggested places to see, to eat, things to buy but, at the same time, took into account all of our wishes.

His email address is: tonyhlashwe@gmail.com

I couldn't recommend him more highly.

Two things to consider purchasing:

1. Opium weight sets with scales. These are small, they snuggly fit in a small wooden box like a chess set, and are knock offs. Originals made in Shan state cost well over $100 since they are over a century old and the real deal. But knock offs look exactly the same, easy to carry home, are widely available on the street and are relatively cheap.

2. Rather than a full set, buy an animal bronze opium weight - such as duck, horse or dragon. These are unusual gifts and (again) are very small and light weight.

To be more specific, these weights were used to balance homemade scales in order to give a proper price on opium deals. Animal shapes were cast, in bronze, in different weight measurements (1-5-10). You can buy a whole set, say, of ducks in different weight sizes or just a heavier weight in, say, a dragon shape.

You could also buy a longyi, the long "skirt" worn by men and women throughout Burma. Similar to India and Malaysian "pants" worn by men. Most Burmese own 15-20 longyis and textiles used are pretty good quality with different colors and patterns. There is a distinct difference between a men's and woman's pattern and color which your guide can identify.

Scott Market in Yangoon has hundreds of stalls that sell them or can buy them everywhere on the street throughout Burma. Typically $10 for a tourist gets a top quality longyi. Of course, whether you wear it after the visit is another story! We bought several at Inle Lake and were very pleased.

A must stop is POMELO next door to the famous Monsoon Restaurant (on Theinby Road?)...your guide will know it.

POMELO is run by ex-pat volunteers, a non-profit effort, that sells tribal handicrafts at very reasonable prices. The money goes to help poverty stricken areas like Rahkine state where there are many political and religious conflicts.

The shop has textiles, jewelry, toys from 20 different Burmese tribal areas. We purchased several unique silver necklaces, hand woven shawls were made with unusual purple berry dye and cheap hand made toys for kids. I highly recommend a visit after lunch for gifts in all price ranges and they take credit cards! Much better experience and quality than Scott Market.

Plus, its for a good cause operated by ex-pats doing a great job!

• 1 month later...
We have just returned from our cruise when we were docked for three days in Myanmar.

To answer some of the questions:

1. The ship provided the visa

2. The weather was unbelievably hot and very humid. An air conditioned car is essential.

We used a fabulous guide called Tony. His English was very good and he organised a modern air conditioned car and driver and for a very reasonable price. We had the most fantastic time looking round Yangon (Rangoon), Bago and Thilawa.

Tony suggested places to see, to eat, things to buy but, at the same time, took into account all of our wishes.

His email address is: tonyhlashwe@gmail.com

I couldn't recommend him more highly.

We are on the Volendam arriving in Thilawa Port on February 7 2015. I know the wharf is some distance from the entrance gates. Do you know if there is a free port shuttle bus from the ship to the entrance gates? I did read on Wikipedia that there is a shuttle bus in the port but haven't heard anyone on CC mention it.didn't. On our previous visit on the Azamara Journey (our favourite cruise line) there was shuttle buses provided from the ship to the Traders Hotel Yangon for free. Four of us travelling together are also using a guide & driver, Than, recommended by Tony as he was already booked. Where did you meet your guide?, @ the ship or @ the Port entrance gates?

We are on the Volendam arriving in Thilawa Port on February 7 2015. I know the wharf is some distance from the entrance gates. Do you know if there is a free port shuttle bus from the ship to the entrance gates? I did read on Wikipedia that there is a shuttle bus in the port but haven't heard anyone on CC mention it.didn't. On our previous visit on the Azamara Journey (our favourite cruise line) there was shuttle buses provided from the ship to the Traders Hotel Yangon for free. Four of us travelling together are also using a guide & driver, Than, recommended by Tony as he was already booked. Where did you meet your guide?, @ the ship or @ the Port entrance gates?

Hi,

I can't answer your question, but am sailing with you on the Azamara Quest trip in December, and am planning on using Tony as a guide when we go to Yangon in 2016. I hope you will be able to take some time on the cruise to share your experiences with Tony.

Looking forward to meeting you. BTW- Azamara is our favorite cruise line, as well.:)

A must stop is POMELO next door to the famous Monsoon Restaurant (on Theinby Road?)...your guide will know it.

POMELO is run by ex-pat volunteers, a non-profit effort, that sells tribal handicrafts at very reasonable prices. The money goes to help poverty stricken areas like Rahkine state where there are many political and religious conflicts.

The shop has textiles, jewelry, toys from 20 different Burmese tribal areas. We purchased several unique silver necklaces, hand woven shawls were made with unusual purple berry dye and cheap hand made toys for kids. I highly recommend a visit after lunch for gifts in all price ranges and they take credit cards! Much better experience and quality than Scott Market.

Plus, its for a good cause operated by ex-pats doing a great job!

Thank you so much for posting this. We will make sure to visit and purchase there during our visit in February. This shop sounds similar to one that a guide in Manila took us to - all goods were produced by small businesses or disabled people.

Hi,

I can't answer your question, but am sailing with you on the Azamara Quest trip in December, and am planning on using Tony as a guide when we go to Yangon in 2016. I hope you will be able to take some time on the cruise to share your experiences with Tony.

Looking forward to meeting you. BTW- Azamara is our favorite cruise line, as well.:)

I think we have met before on the Quest perhaps HK/Singapore 2011? If I remember rightly you organized the Meet & Mingle complete with name tags for everyone. After the cruise we bumped into you @ the train station. Really looking forward to Xmas & New Year on the Quest. We're based in Perth WA so for a change we won't have too far to travel. Plan to stay in Bali for a few days before the cruise. Look forward to catching up again.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you so much for posting this. We will make sure to visit and purchase there during our visit in February. This shop sounds similar to one that a guide in Manila took us to - all goods were produced by small businesses or disabled people.

POMELO has a website: http://www.pomeloyangon.com/ if you would like more information about this worthy visit. They have moved in the past year, so be sure to find their correct address on the website.

I think we have met before on the Quest perhaps HK/Singapore 2011? If I remember rightly you organized the Meet & Mingle complete with name tags for everyone. After the cruise we bumped into you @ the train station. Really looking forward to Xmas & New Year on the Quest. We're based in Perth WA so for a change we won't have too far to travel. Plan to stay in Bali for a few days before the cruise. Look forward to catching up again.

Hi,

Sorry it took me so long to answer. You are right--we were on the same HK/Singapore cruise--and I did organize the M&M! You have a great memory! I will look forward to seeing you again, and once our plans get firm, maybe we can meet in Bali for a drink before the cruise. We will be there 2 days before, and are staying in Dua Nusa.