Balcony rooms for 3 but not 2?

I'm looking at Enchantment of the Seas for July 4th. When I try to select a balcony room for Me & the wife it says that Balcony rooms are not available for 2 guest. I called them about it. They confirmed that there are balconies still available but not for only 2 guest. I'm told to call back tomorrow when the "REVENUE" dept is open. Then I try on line to see if I could get one for 3 people... and No problem at all. How often does this happen? I never sailed RCI before. I don't have a long cruise history, just 3 on Celebrity, 1 on NCL & 1 on Princess.

I don't know how often it happens, but it's not uncommon for certain stateroom categories to have minimum occupancy requirements greater than 2 passengers. Those minimums may be relaxed if the staterooms remain unsold closer to sailing date.

I'm looking at Enchantment of the Seas for July 4th. When I try to select a balcony room for Me & the wife it says that Balcony rooms are not available for 2 guest. I called them about it. They confirmed that there are balconies still available but not for only 2 guest. I'm told to call back tomorrow when the "REVENUE" dept is open. Then I try on line to see if I could get one for 3 people... and No problem at all. How often does this happen? I never sailed RCI before. I don't have a long cruise history, just 3 on Celebrity, 1 on NCL & 1 on Princess.

I've never heard about RCI requiring 3 people in a balcony, but it also may be the time of the year. We took Enchantment two years ago and it was just my husband and I.

My only thought is, because of the 4th of July holiday they may not allow only 2 in rooms that are capable to hold 3 or more due to popularity. But again, that is just a guess. I really hope you get a balcony for just 2. Good luck!

Edited by Kayla103

I don't know how often it happens, but it's not uncommon for certain stateroom categories to have minimum occupancy requirements greater than 2 passengers. Those minimums may be relaxed if the staterooms remain unsold closer to sailing date.

That is what was implied on the call. Do all lines do this? Or mostly RCI?

I've never heard about RCI requiring 3 people in a balcony. We took Enchantment two years ago and it was just my husband and I. My only thought is, because of the 4th of July holiday they may not allow only 2 in rooms that are capable to hold 3 or more due to popularity. But again, that is just a guess. So odd though. I really hope you get a balcony for just 2. Good luck!

Royal started this a few years ago on certain highly desireable balcony staterooms, such as some corner aft balconies.

If they can get 3 in a cabin, rather than 2, they make more money! You could always book for 3, then cancel 1 later!

But this late I would expect to pay all now. It's just over a month away. I've never sailed RCI before. I did Celebrity 3 time & Princess & NCL 1 time each. Looks like I will stay with them. That's what happens when you squeeze the penny too much... you loose out all together.

Royal started this a few years ago on certain highly desireable balcony staterooms, such as some corner aft balconies.

Yep...We've had corner afts on our last 3 cruises. Tried booking the same cabin for next april while onboard the first of this month and was quickly told...NO!! No "maybe", no "let me check", just no, no, no. :(

Yep...We've had corner afts on our last 3 cruises. Tried booking the same cabin for next april while onboard the first of this month and was quickly told...NO!! No "maybe", no "let me check", just no, no, no. :(

Some have taken the chance of booking the stateroom with 3 people, and then cancelling the third person right before final payment date. The cruise line could move you at that point, but some feel it's worth the chance.

Some have taken the chance of booking the stateroom with 3 people, and then cancelling the third person right before final payment date. The cruise line could move you at that point, but some feel it's worth the chance.

We thought about it, but if we were to be bumped we might end up with a cabin we didn't want.