Newbie Here to Everything Cruising!!

5talents

Hi all! I just joined this forum and it's a little overwhelming! I will spend the next week reading everything. My husband and I are planning an Alaskan cruise for our 30th anniversary in June. We have never taken a cruise or been to Alaska. We are planning on traveling on Princess and taking the Southbound Voyage of the Glaciers. Anyone want to try to give me the "not to be missed" highlights? Like I said, I know there is a treasure trove of info on here, I'm just wondering if there is something I need to know now to plan. Thanks!

Hi all! I just joined this forum and it's a little overwhelming! I will spend the next week reading everything. My husband and I are planning an Alaskan cruise for our 30th anniversary in June. We have never taken a cruise or been to Alaska. We are planning on traveling on Princess and taking the Southbound Voyage of the Glaciers. Anyone want to try to give me the "not to be missed" highlights? Like I said, I know there is a treasure trove of info on here, I'm just wondering if there is something I need to know now to plan. Thanks!

Welcome!

We are on the June 11 Star Princess southbound and it is pretty full! Do you have a date in mind? Will you be doing a pre-cruise land tour?

Highlights for our first Alaska cruise were Glacier Bay, whale watching with Orca Enterprises in Juneau, train and tour with Chilkoot Charters in Skagway, and the totem areas in Ketchikan.

It is best to purchase an Alaskan tour guide -- just do a search on Amazon or go to the library.

Hubby and I went to Alaska 7 months ago for our 50th birthdays. Two things...and you'll probably see this on many other threads about Alaska:

Layers! Early mornings in port can be quite chilly...40 degrees and windy. But by the afternoon , it may be almost 70 and your down to short sleeves. Our Glacier Bay day was cold and rainy. I had on a long sleeve shirt, a sweater, and a thick, waterproof jacket and was still cold. I saw numerous folks standing at the rails, to see the glacier, wrapped in blankets and wearing their Carnival bathrobe as a coat. It's all about the wind. 50 degress and no wind is way different than 50 degrees and 15 mph wind.

Shoes: The best thing I took was my sturdy, water resistant, hiking shoes. My regular sneakers were fine for the ship but, with rain, all the walking, and some "nature type" excursions, the hiking shoes were great. They kept my feet dry and warm.

Be sure to check out the weather forecasts for each port before you leave and that will help a little in your planning.

It was our first trip to Alaska but hopefully not our last. It was beautiful!

Have a great time!!

My husband just booked us for June 15th-22nd! We are sailing on Princess but I'm not sure which ship. I can't wait! I have a lot to learn before then. We are definitely interested in excursions, so I will be researching those.

My husband just booked us for June 15th-22nd! We are sailing on Princess but I'm not sure which ship. I can't wait! I have a lot to learn before then. We are definitely interested in excursions, so I will be researching those.

Next step is to decide if you want to spend time on land exploring the area around Anchorage by renting a car and booking hotels. There are several day trips you can do from Anchorage if you have a car. http://www.alaska.org/things-to-do/scenic-drives

If you are simply cruising make sure you arrive a day early NOT the day of your cruise.

There are several ways of getting from Anchorage to Whittier where the ship departs.

Vancouver is a beautiful city and worth making time to explore :)

I think you are on the Island Princess. The excursions you will find under the tab and can be booked on-line under your booking. It's best to read through them all and decide which appeal to you. Many can be booked through independent contractors who usually provide smaller groups.

Anchorage (Whittier), Alaska

Wednesday, June 15

8:30 PM

Hubbard Glacier, Alaska (Scenic Cruising)

Thursday, June 16

3:00 PM 8:00 PM

Glacier Bay National Park, Alaska (Scenic Cruising)

Friday, June 17

9:15 AM 7:30 PM

Skagway, Alaska

Saturday, June 18

7:00 AM 8:30 PM

Juneau, Alaska

Sunday, June 19

6:30 AM 4:00 PM

Ketchikan, Alaska

Monday, June 20

10:00 AM 6:00 PM

At Sea