Canadian Rockies Cruisetour

sally4909

Is there a place on Cruisecritic about Canadian Rockies Cruisetours? I am looking into a cruise that includes the C Rockies and find plenty of information about the cruise part but nothing about the land portion. I called the Cruisetour Dept at RCCL and was told that all the info is on the website. I really didn't find much info at all. Has anyone taken the land tour that starts in Calgary, then Banff, Jasper, Vancouver, Victoria and back to Vancouver to join the ship? Differing from an Alaskan landtour where there is a tour director, this is called an independent tour on the VIA Rail. I'm beginning to have second thoughts about the landtour, especially after reading reviews of the VIA Rail system on Tripadvisor. Maybe RCCL has a special arrangement with VIA and this is a great landtour. Any help with info about the train, transfers to hotels, luggage, meals and included tours would be appreciated. Thanks for your help, Sally

Is there a place on Cruisecritic about Canadian Rockies Cruisetours? I am looking into a cruise that includes the C Rockies and find plenty of information about the cruise part but nothing about the land portion. I called the Cruisetour Dept at RCCL and was told that all the info is on the website. I really didn't find much info at all. Has anyone taken the land tour that starts in Calgary, then Banff, Jasper, Vancouver, Victoria and back to Vancouver to join the ship? Differing from an Alaskan landtour where there is a tour director, this is called an independent tour on the VIA Rail. I'm beginning to have second thoughts about the landtour, especially after reading reviews of the VIA Rail system on Tripadvisor. Maybe RCCL has a special arrangement with VIA and this is a great landtour. Any help with info about the train, transfers to hotels, luggage, meals and included tours would be appreciated. Thanks for your help, Sally

There is also the Ricky Mountainer Express. Could your tour be with them?

I would suggest the Rocky Mountaineer Express as A&L mentions rather than VIA. While VIA is fine, it's just a regular train service (although I think they may have an observation car), while the Mountaineer is an actual "tour" with meals, tour guides, etc.

I would suggest the Rocky Mountaineer Express as A&L mentions rather than VIA. While VIA is fine, it's just a regular train service (although I think they may have an observation car), while the Mountaineer is an actual "tour" with meals, tour guides, etc.

To further my comment earlier, my brother did it years ago wth RME and he loved it. He said the food and service was spectacular. They went with the higher package of service and said it was well worth it. They got off the train at night and stayed in hotels as part of the train package.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Maybe it is the Rocky Mountaineer and not the VIA Rail. RCCL's website is down now so I can't go back and read exactly what was written about the train. It's possible that I misunderstood and RCCL wrote "traveling via rail" versus "traveling by VIA RAIL." That certainly would seem correct and sure makes a difference to me. I have been on the Rocky Mountaineer on an Alaskan cruise tour and loved it. If this is the case, I still would love to hear what hotels are used and what tours are included. Thanks again.

We did this a year ago last June. The hotels are Fairmonts (old CN railway hotels) and most are grand. We had our own sleeper car (bunk beds) attached to an observation car. No meals are included and some of the hotels are out of town and the food can be pricey in them. There was 16 of us who started and eight finished the 21 day cruisetour. Overall it was an amazing trip.

This is what is written on RCCL's website.

"Canadian Rockies Cruisetours include overnight train travel onboard the Via Rail's Canadian Sleeper Plus Class. Upgrades for travel on VIA Rail are available for an additional fee."

So it does seem it is VIA RAIL, not the Rocky Mountaineer. Anyone been on this train? and land tour?

Thanks Gummie. Did you have any excursions included and did you have transportation to the hotels with baggage sent to your hotel room? The cruisetour that I am looking at is only 5 land tour cities and then the cruise begins in Vancouver. the land tour part begins in Calgary and is before the cruise. (Calgary, Banff, Jasper, Victoria and Vancouver.)

Thanks Gummie. I think I found the Cruisetour information on the RCCL site.It is Cruisetour 2CB and is quite detailed about hotels (Fairmonts), train and bus transportation and included excursions. Looks like a great Cruisetour but, wow, it is expensive. Bookings for this Cruisetour won't open until next Spring, so maybe the prices will be a little less when bookings first open. The only thing I don't like about this Cruisetour is that you are only on VIA Rail one night, not boarding until the afternoon. Not sure how much scenery you see on the train if it gets dark quickly.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Gummie. I think I found the Cruisetour information on the RCCL site.It is Cruisetour 2CB and is quite detailed about hotels (Fairmonts), train and bus transportation and included excursions. Looks like a great Cruisetour but, wow, it is expensive. Bookings for this Cruisetour won't open until next Spring, so maybe the prices will be a little less when bookings first open. The only thing I don't like about this Cruisetour is that you are only on VIA Rail one night, not boarding until the afternoon. Not sure how much scenery you see on the train if it gets dark quickly.

Depends on the time of year. If you are doing this in June/July it will be light quite late as you are pretty far north. I was just in Banff last week for a conference - staying at the Fairmont. It was spectacular. Also a short walk or taxi ride into Banff proper for dining and shopping.

My Hubby and I did this Cruisetour last year and it was fantastic. We flew from the UK to Calgary, and started the tour the next day. All the hotels were excellent, the coaches were very comfortable with very knowledgeable drivers.

There were stops and excursions included everyday. Food was included once or twice, but we were able to shop around for reasonable food when we wanted. We did travel on the VIA train, and that in its self was an exsperiance.

It was delayed arriving to pick up at Jasper so we had the option to walk/shop in Jasper on our own or take a bus tour around the area. ( no charge ).

We had a nice "room" that was turned down for us at night on the train. Our evening meal and breakfast were included and I have to say it was 4* so so good. The evening meal was served over 2 sittings we were on the 2nd, so sat in the Observation car (stunning views ) being served unlimited canapés and champagne.

We totally fell in love with Vancouver and British Columbia, the Hotel at BC was stunning.

The cruise on Radience around Alaska finished of a most memorable holiday.