Istanbul Culinary Tours

Any recommendations? I've noticed the top rated tour operators each have several choices of neighborhoods and themes including Kabab Krawl, Market Tours and Breakfast in Europe/Lunch in Asia. We're just interested in a good representation of the cuisine and food ways of Istanbul.

Any recommendations? I've noticed the top rated tour operators each have several choices of neighborhoods and themes including Kabab Krawl, Market Tours and Breakfast in Europe/Lunch in Asia. We're just interested in a good representation of the cuisine and food ways of Istanbul.

I don't know if these are tours, but someone I corresponded with about Istanbul mentioned he was going to use a guide from "Culinary Backstreets." They apparently have either a website and/or a Facebook page. It sounded like the kind of thing you are talking about - i.e., not a guide book but a person who takes you around the backstreets of Istanbul!

Edited by roothy123

Thanks for the response. Culinary Backstreets is one of the highly recommended companies and they have multiple tours. Some that focus on certain neighborhoods and some that traverse the Bosphorus. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with culinary tours and can comment.

We first used a "partner" of Culinary Backstreets in Shanghai and have been hooked on food tours every since. Last summer in Istanbul we used them for a tour and absolutely loved every minute. You will see and appreciate parts of Istanbul that you never see or experience on a standard tour or on your own. We will be taking a different tour with them in a few months.

Additionally, we have stayed at Sirkeci Mansion hotel in Istanbul which offers free walking food tours. The tours were different and both were wonderful. It's about so much more than just the food. Do it.

We did Culinary Secrets of the Old City. Our first choices were booked up, so I do recommend securing your place as soon as you decide. In May, we're doing Two Markets, Two Continents -- the company is very professional in handling the reservations and the tours. You'll have a great time.

• 3 weeks later...

We are taking one of the Culinary Backstreet tours in May. Found them very professional when enquiring and booking. My wife is mainly vegetarian but does occasionally eat seafood. They suggested a suitable tour that would cater for her needs as some of their tours are more suited to carnivores:D

Love Turkish food, can't wait to be guided through markets and eateries;)

That's all we seem to do while cruising....eat:)

Just as well it's a walking tour so we can burn off some of the calories.

Paul

Thanks Tickle. Which tour are you actually signed up for. I don't eat red meat and want to get my money's worth!

The tour we're taking is "Hidden Beyoglu"

It starts about 1km from the cruise ship terminal, very convenient.

Our meeting place is a cafe where we will sample some breakfast food.

Paul

2 Markets-2 Continents was our 'Foodie Fix' Tour. Oh my... It started at North end of Galata Bridge..close to Cruise Terminal at about 9:30/am. It was more than food and tea and coffee, it was a wonderful day amongst the locals also eating and chillin'. Everybody knew our guide, Ipik. Lotsa hugs and smiles all 'round. We were a group of 6. All food eaten was included in the Tour $Price$, no exceptions. A bonus was the Ferry across the Bosphorus Straits for views to die for. We ate and drank tea and walked and snooped...and ate even more, I think we hit 9 backstreet food stalls or restaurants 2 huge fresh food markets and some lovely Coffee/Tea shops...for 6hrs.!! And Yes, you could buy whatever you wanted for 'sampling later', chatting with the vendors at every stop. Fun. Very, very clean and neat everywhere. Don't attempt to begin with a full stomach...Ha!! Sensational in all regards. Some places we would have NEVER found without our guide, Ipik Baltutan, who was our hip knowledgable walking encyclopedia for everything ISTANBUL and Int'l food. I will rate it 'Wow'. Locomotiveman Tom

Thanks for the feedback. Now, I honestly cannot decide between 2 Markets, 2 Continents and Born on the Bosphorus. They both take the ferry and explore markets on both sides but the description of Born on the Bosphorus sounds a little more interesting however the meeting place seems further away. We are staying at Four Seasons Sultanahmet and I am not sure how dificult it will be to get to that meeting place.

Has anyone done Born on the Bosporus and can comment?

Thanks for the feedback. Now, I honestly cannot decide between 2 Markets, 2 Continents and Born on the Bosphorus. They both take the ferry and explore markets on both sides but the description of Born on the Bosphorus sounds a little more interesting however the meeting place seems further away. We are staying at Four Seasons Sultanahmet and I am not sure how dificult it will be to get to that meeting place.

Has anyone done Born on the Bosporus and can comment?

After you book, you will receiver a pdf with very specific directions as well as a link showing the meeting point on google maps. The directions include best way to get to the meeting point via tram, taxi or walking. Shouldn't be a problem no matter which tour you choose. You could just have your hotel explain to the taxi driver exactly where to go. Do allow extra time for traffic if you go by taxi. We prefer the tram to avoid the traffic jams.