MSC Splendida

drakie123

Hi,

We will be going on our first boat cruise in October and can't wait. Very excited but a bit nervous too. I just have a few questions and was hoping for a bit of advice and information.

* Can you please tell me the times for the 1st & 2nd seating in the MDR?

* Also is it possible to tell me which areas or activities are not free (I know the spa, 4D & formula 1 is not free)

* We will be at the following ports: Marseilles, Genoa, Naples, Messina & La Goulette. Is all of these towns in easy walking distance from the port or will we need to use a taxi or shuttle?

Thanks for the information and help. Can't wait to board the MSC Splendida, and counting the days:D

Depends on when you are sailing as times vary slightly from winter to summer schedules. First will start in the region of 6.15-6.45, second will be 8.45 -9.15.

Top 18 sun deck and speciality restaurants are extra.

Don't know about Messina but the rest are walking distance ex let Marseille. They usually dock at a Commercial Port quite a distance away from the old town. However really depends on what you want to do. There isn't much within walking distance at La Goulette. Most folk go on a tour or get a fixed fare taxi to go further afield to places like Carthage.

For the life of me, I can't remember how far it was in Marseilles - we (me, my husband, teenage daughter, grown son) must have taken a shuttle bus or something if it was a big distance.

I do remember enjoying walking along the waterfront and making a really good spur of the moment decision to take the little train up to Notre Dame de la Garde. We enjoyed the church and the journey to it. http://www.petit-train-marseille.com/circuits-petit-train-marseille-en.html

We only had an excursion booked in Tunisia, but then had to skip that stop due to weather and ended up in Sicily instead. We just took a shuttle at each port if we needed to and explored around on our own.

For the life of me, I can't remember how far it was in Marseilles - we (me, my husband, teenage daughter, grown son) must have taken a shuttle bus or something if it was a big distance.

I do remember enjoying walking along the waterfront and making a really good spur of the moment decision to take the little train up to Notre Dame de la Garde. We enjoyed the church and the journey to it. http://www.petit-train-marseille.com/circuits-petit-train-marseille-en.html

We only had an excursion booked in Tunisia, but then had to skip that stop due to weather and ended up in Sicily instead. We just took a shuttle at each port if we needed to and explored around on our own.

My cousin and I only found out about the little train when we were wandering around the old town in marseille. Excellent value (it was only €6 each a few years back) and loved the views on the way up. Also really enjoyed my lunch washed down with local Rose wine on the waterfront afterwards. We also found a yellow line painted on the pavements of the old town, which was a route to follow on foot to take you trough the artisan area and to some other interesting buildings.

I have been to Messina a few times and the port is in the centre. Just cross the road. You can take a tram to the museum, there are some paintings by Caravaggio but tiny museum with no postcards or anything to purchase. Buy the ticket for the tram at the Tabac shop opposite the port.

There is an information desk at the port.

However most people go to Taormina which is very pretty but touristy. I enjoyed the Godfather tour as it shows the church where Michael was married in the movie and the bar where he spoke to her father. Beautiful views.

In Marselles there is a free shuttle bus to the town, just follow the painted line along the path.

You can also use the local bus to get up to the Basilica Notre Dame de la Guarde. #60 from the harbour front or as mentioned the tourist train..

Naples you are also in the centre also Genoa.

As mentioned you would need an excursion or taxi in Tunisia.

I have been to Messina a few times and the port is in the centre. Just cross the road. You can take a tram to the museum, there are some paintings by Caravaggio but tiny museum with no postcards or anything to purchase. Buy the ticket for the tram at the Tabac shop opposite the port.

There is an information desk at the port.

However most people go to Taormina which is very pretty but touristy. I enjoyed the Godfather tour as it shows the church where Michael was married in the movie and the bar where he spoke to her father. Beautiful views.

In Marselles there is a free shuttle bus to the town, just follow the painted line along the path.

You can also use the local bus to get up to the Basilica Notre Dame de la Guarde. #60 from the harbour front or as mentioned the tourist train..

Naples you are also in the centre also Genoa.

As mentioned you would need an excursion or taxi in Tunisia.

In Marseille Be aware that MSC run a shuttle bus service to the harbour which cost €15 adult, €6 child in 2012. Don't get caught out if there is a FREE one

It is about 4 - 5 miles from the docks to the little harbour

The little road train from the habour is a good little excursion in its own right

Pete

I was in Marseille a few months ago and the free port shuttle was only on at the weekends. I was lucky. When you get off you can go straight to the cathedral then down to the old port, via the fort, and through the new museum( you have to queue to get in but do not pay, you go up to the top of the museum and follow the walkway) when you are at the port you can take the little train through "the panier" the old part, (which we were not too impressed with) or continue to the other side of the port to go up to Notre Dame de la garde on the little train. There is also a bus to go up. The train goes up the long route up for views but is quite short on the return journey. Getting back on can be a nightmare at times and if it was bad I would walk back down. If you have the free shuttle then remember where to get back on. A previous time I took the ship shuttle which dropped off on the far side of the port near the train for the church. I loved the trip up but was not keen on that side. I much preferred the Cathedral, fort and museum side.

Genoa is wonderful, just turn right, and continue. The harbour area is wonderful, but so are the city buildings with trompe l'oeil facades.

Naples, you can do Pompeii or Herculaneum or both by bus to the station and get the train.I was caught out once when there was a train strike but walked around "filthy" but with beautiful buildings Naples, to the archaelogical museum showing lots of exhibits from Pompeii. Just be careful and sensible, as Naples has a reputation.

La Goulette, you need to get a taxi to Tunis and Sidi bou Said ( spelling?)Instead of getting the fixed price taxi try walking down the road and haggling and make sure the agreed price is per taxi and not per person. The driver waits at each place and you pay at the end.

Try researching the "ports" part on the forum. There is a lot of info there. I print off maps before I go.

Hello, I'm new here but also cruising the Splendida in 3 weeks. Thanks for al the info, glad I've joined cruise critic just in time :)

Drakie, I'm boarding the Splendida in Genua on the 26th of october, are you on board in that week?

No, we are boarding in Barcelona on the 17th of October. Still a bit unsure about the towns we will be visiting, and what we intend to see. This cruise is a surprise gift that we received, and unfortunately our time for research is limited. So hopefully we will see as much as we can of each town. Have read about every bit of information on this forum, and also the tips everybody has been giving.

Making lots of notes along the way.Thanks again for all the information.:)

I'v worked out the entire itinerary with al the things to do, the cost and how to get there on your own but it is in Dutch...

If anyone wants it, I can mail it, but as I said, it is written in Dutch.

I also have such document on the itinerary of NCL Epic: Barcelona-Livorno-Chivitavechia-Napels-Palma de Mallorca-Marseille, I did this cruise in 2013. Also written in Dutch.

I'v worked out the entire itinerary with al the things to do, the cost and how to get there on your own but it is in Dutch...

I also have such document on the itinerary of NCL Epic: Barcelona-Livorno-Chivitavechia-Napels-Palma de Mallorca-Marseille, I did this cruise in 2013. Also written in Dutch.

Please could you send it to me (marche.cronje@gmail.com)

• 1 month later...

I´d like to receive it (liviadesouzamedeiros@gmail.com). Thanks