Which Dolphin Excursion?

Shanny94

This will be our 2nd cruise and I've always wanted to swim with the dolphins. I found 2 in Mahogany Bay, one is a swim and snorkel and the other is an active swim. The active swim looks like you get to ride on the fun and have the dolphin push you along through the water. Has anyone done these excursions? Which one is better? Thanks for any input.

Not exactly sure what ports you are going to ... but if Cozumel is included in your sailing ... I would recommend the dolphin swim in Cozumel. I would also recommend booking it individually through the park, instead of the boat.

Here's why: (1) The park offers the EXACT SAME stuff the boat does, but it does NOT include transportation. A cab to/from the park is $10 each way (up to 4 people). [Edit to note: The park is only a 10 min drive from the port.] The price difference is $60 PP cheaper and it does not cost that much to get to/from the boat. (2) The groups are SUBSTANTIALLY SMALLER booking through the park. IE, there were 6 people on the swim w/ our group as opposed to 12 to 14 per boat excursion. The equates to MORE in water dolphin time. (3) The park also gives you a dip in the Manatee tank and allows you to pet and feed the manatees.

The trainers and the park are much better in Cozumel in our experience.

Not exactly sure what ports you are going to ... but if Cozumel is included in your sailing ... I would recommend the dolphin swim in Cozumel. I would also recommend booking it individually through the park, instead of the boat.

Here's why: (1) The park offers the EXACT SAME stuff the boat does, but it does NOT include transportation. A cab to/from the park is $10 each way (up to 4 people). [Edit to note: The park is only a 10 min drive from the port.] The price difference is $60 PP cheaper and it does not cost that much to get to/from the boat. (2) The groups are SUBSTANTIALLY SMALLER booking through the park. IE, there were 6 people on the swim w/ our group as opposed to 12 to 14 per boat excursion. The equates to MORE in water dolphin time. (3) The park also gives you a dip in the Manatee tank and allows you to pet and feed the manatees.

The trainers and the park are much better in Cozumel in our experience.

Which park do you book through?

Which park do you book through?

Cozumel Chankanaab National Park is the facility in Cozumel. I don't think I can post links here ... but just do a search for it and then look at the options they offer ... the swim you want is the "Royal Dolphin VIP Swim".

It runs $179 w/out transportation from the park, but includes the manatees ... it's $229 from the boat w/ transportation, but doesn't include the manatees.

Thanks we are crushing in Sept out of Galeveston on the Breeze. It's Belize Mahogany Bay and Cozumel.

We took this cruise on the Valor out of Port Canaveral last March - 7 day. It was a wonderful trip.

If you haven't looked at plans in Belize ... I highly recommend looking up Banana Bank Lodge. It is NOT an excursion offered through the boat, you have to do it separately. But the experience was AMAZING! Probably the best excursion we've done in any port. A friend who cruised w/ us wanted to horse back ride so she actually found this one. I was skeptical at first. T

The owners are actually Americans from Montana. The property is located on 500 acres of Mahogany forest. The treck w/ the guide to the park was about 45 mins each way ... and interesting. The island itself is pretty poor. When we got to the resort, we had to take a boat across the inlet to the resort. They met us w/ snacks and drinks that were made from a local flower that grows on the island (to die for) ... we did the horseback ride (about an hour) around the grounds and then toured the grounds, which included monkeys and parrots (the DH and are are parrot owners) ... we met the husband and wife and they allowed us into her personal aviaries to play w/ her birds ... she's a painter and took us through their personal residence and her studio. We had lunch and then took a boat tour down the banks of the resort. There were ONLY the 3 of us on the tour and it was very personal. We had a blast and discussed rebooking this itinerary just to go back to this place!

Cozumel Chankanaab National Park is the facility in Cozumel. I don't think I can post links here ... but just do a search for it and then look at the options they offer ... the swim you want is the "Royal Dolphin VIP Swim".

It runs $179 w/out transportation from the park, but includes the manatees ... it's $229 from the boat w/ transportation, but doesn't include the manatees.

They offer discounts specials on their website too! We booked a 50% off special for the royal swim...So excited

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Back to the original question on the dolphin swim excursions offered in Roatan.

As I recall, one is located at Mahogany Bay. You can see the cages and the small lagoon from the ship. The other is located at Anthony's Key Resort in Sandy Bay. It is in the ocean water. And the habitat is much nicer than at Mahogany Bay. So it appears to be a much fuller experience as you are at the resort. Anthony's Key supplies the dolphins for Mahogany Bay. They also own and operate Maya Key.

• 2 weeks later...
I just did the Dolphin Action Swim at Anthony's Key (through Carnival) - it was an amazing experience that is well worth the money. You won't be disappointed.:cool:

We'll be in Roatan next month and while my hubby and son will be diving through Anthony's Key, my daughter and I were thinking of doing the Dolphin Swim there. Do you remember if they allowed you to relax at the resort after wards or were you shuffle back to port after?

Thanks!