Beach/Camel Rides in Tunis, Tunisia

We will be docking at the Port in Tunis for 1 day as part of an 11-night Mediterranean Cruise

We are hoping to have a Beach day whilst there

Can anyone confirm how far it is from the Port to a family Beach & if it is easy to get there?

We are also hoping to have a Camel ride whilst there - my 7 year old Son thinks this will be a highlight of our trip!

Can anyone confirm if they are available & the approximate cost?

Any help would be appreciated!

When we ported in Tunis, the camels showed up before the ship even cleared for disembarkation. We paid 10 euros for a camel ride for the two of us. We got quite a long ride (longer than my bad back wanted!), including lots of photos taken with our own camera in front of different backdrops. (Follow the Photos link in my signature if you want to see examples.) We were the first people off the boat and did the camel ride right away, and I think we got a longer ride than people who did the camel ride later or after excursions.

I have had total knee replacements on both knees. How did you get on and off camels? I have great agility with my knees but do not want to have to be forced to do too deep of a knee bend, but then, I want to do it!! I have had a ride on an elephant but never a camel. Fun?:confused:

The camels are trained to sit down with their legs folded under them while the riders get on and off. It's still a bit of a step up, but not too bad. They did have some steps nearby, but my husband was able to get on without assistance. I *would* have been able to get on, but just as I was getting ready to step up, the camel handler suddenly scooped me up and lifted me onto the camel. :eek:

Yes, it was a fun ride! It's a good memory, and some of our favorite pictures are from that ride. Give it a try if you're interested; I think you'll be able to manage without any deep knee bends.

Susan,

You are great!! another question-do they lead you around with a rope attached to the camel or are you on your own? In Belize, I fell of the horse-not hurt except for bruises and my dignity-but not a pretty sight!!

Thanks!

Camel ride is very interesting! I will definitely let my son 14 & daughter 12 to try it out for sure. Wondering how much is for 4 people, I guess we need 2 camels?

Thanks very much Susan! Great pictures.

We have been told that the closest family beach is at Gammarth (approx 30mins away)

We are thinking about getting a taxi from the port and having a beach day while at Tunis

My only slight worry is over currency. You cannot obtain Tunisian Dinars prior to arrival at Tunisia and it is illegal to leave the country with any in your posession. Would have to draw money out of an ATM but not sure how to work out what would be required as wouldn't want to have any left over. Im not sure if they would accept Euros or not?

The taxi drivers at the port all quoted rates in euros. The camel driver asked for euros, as well. And we heard that the merchants in the bazaars were accepting euros.

As we left, the merchants in the port shopping building were happy to exchange our leftover dinars for euros. They were pretty discreet about it, so I'm not sure they were supposed to do it, but it was very easy.

We rode the camels at the port also and it was the highlight of our cruise. we had a wonderful time. The picture of us each on a camel is hanging on my wall! it was great.

they also scooped me up and plunked me on the camel and then helped me off - no problem at all.

i did not have euros so they took a $20 instead of the 10eu price. no problem. it was well worth the price!

just a warning about the men w/ the flowers inside the immigration area - they rush up to you and hand you a flower. they were standing right up by the immigration desk. i thought it was some kind of local welcome - well it wasn't and the guy wanted money. i had to argue with him to return the flower instead of paying for it. it was not a good way to start.

the camels are on the dock and you get to them before you enter the immigration area.

also, on our tour we were taken to a "museum" that was really a rug store and were hassled quite a bit to buy one. not pleasant.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

We will be at port in Tunisia in March. We have an excursion booked through our cruise ship and hope to have enough time to ride a camel. Did anyone else experience this situation? We're you able to ride the camel before the excursion? Are the camels there all day until the ship departs?

• 2 months later...