Canceling Carnival Cruise with Vacation Protection

Mel23

DH and I are supposed to leave for our anniversary cruise 6 weeks from today. Unfortunately we now need to cancel our trip. We purchased Carnival's Vacation Protection Plan. I've never had to cancel a cruise before so I'm not sure how it works. We booked through a TA, but I don't want to go through her if I can avoid it. We have to cancel because we recently found out that I'm pregnant with baby #2 and I'm suffering from hyperemesis gravidarum (severe nausea/vomiting and fatigue). By cruise time I'll be at the end of the end of my 1st trimester, but there's no guarantee that I won't still be suffering from symptoms which could further be aggravated by the rolling seas (and smells of different people and foods). HG doesn't always go away at the end of the 1st trimester like morning sickness and could last the entire pregnancy. There's no way to know how long it will last for me.

I don't want to tell my TA because she is best friends with my aunt. I don't want my aunt to know yet because it's early and she won't be able to keep from telling my cousins. That would open a whole other can of worms that I just don't want to deal with, especially not right now.

My questions are:

1. How does the process work? Do I need to call Carnival, the insurance underwriter, or my TA to inform of my cancellation?

2. I go back to the doctor on Monday. Can I find whatever forms that need to be completed online to take with me?

3. Is it better to have completed forms before I make the call to whomever?

4. Is this going to be an easy process? I know that pregnancy is not an acceptable reason to cancel, but my illness related to pregnancy should be covered.

5. Has anyone cancelled for the same reason? Were you hassled because it was a pregnancy related issue? (I'm nervous that they could somehow not pay my claim and I don't want to lose all that money.)

Thanks for any and all help!

Edited by Mel23

I'd hold off on canceling just yet.

To get your money back from the insurance, you have to cancel for a covered reason. If you cancel now, and the insurance denies your claim, you get squat back.

Now, I'm not a doctor, nor have I recently stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, however, it sounds like you "may" have a covered reason. A possible determining factor is Is your licensed physician willing to declare in writing that you are or will be unable to travel and take this cruise?. If so, you may be on to something.

I would get that determination first. Then, you can start asking questions of the insurance company.

Please note,,, the insurance company phone reps will never give you a definitive Yes or No answer. That is way above their paygrade. They will offer help though.

If all else fails, you can always invoke the "Cancel For Any Reason" clause included in your policy. It will only provide a 75% cruise credit for future use but better than nothing.

Melissa,

All of what klfrodo said, plus.

Eta- I just checked the Vacation Protection plan and it says pregnancy complications are not covered unless hospitalization is required. I think you will be best off to cancel ASAP and take the half cash, 1/3 credit option.

1. Has your doctor said you must cancel? Or is this your own desire? It makes a difference as to what type of claim you will have. If not medically required, it is a non-covered reason. At this point, you get half back in cash and 75% of the other half (so 37.5%) as cruise credit for any reason cancellation. So you only lose 12.5 % if you can use the credit later. If medically required, you get it all back as cash.

2. Be aware of the cancellation penalty brackets. You are at 50% now, at 29 days you move to 75%, (and at 14 days you are at 100%). Do not delay past the next bracket date or you could lose partial coverage. For you that is 11 days.

3. If you must cancel, it can only be done through your TA. However, if you tell her not to tell anyone about your pregnancy, as your legal agent she is ethically bound to keep it private. If she blabs, not much you can do, but you have a good reason to not ever use her again, and reminding her of her position as your agent might do the trick.

4. Most of your claim form questions can be answered here

http://www.carnival.com/~/media/CCLUS/Images/pdf/vacation-protection-201205pdf.ashx

You can start your claim online at travelclaim.com, but you do need to cancel before starting the claim. I wish I could say it is an easy process, but it involves about 20-30 pages of paperwork. You will need copies of everything; proof of purchase of cruise, cancellation penalty in contract, proof of purchase of insurance, medical statement, medical records release, refund statement from TA, etc. (Some of these are not needed if you are not canceling for a covered reason, and it is a little bit easier process, but you don't get as much cash, and you only have one year to use the credit.)

Edited by cherylandtk