Silver Wind refurb

Merly

We are due to sail on the Wind in May next year, our first with Silversea. I saw that it had a refurb last year but now am somewhat worried by a review from May this year. The reviewer says that it lacks some of the nice touches you expect on a luxury cruise, it looks tired, the TVs are old and outdated etc. Can any recent Wind travellers give any more info please? Am I going to be disappointed?

My wife and I sailed on the Wind in April, from Monte Carlo to Rome. She is beautiful with understated elegance just like her sister ships. If reviewer you mentioned likes gaudy, then perhaps why they were disappointed. Nothing appeared "old" or "tired' to us. Didn't take specific notice of the TV as if was rarely on. We had a fantastic time with the wonderful staff and crew. Check out thread "Wind in top form" on page 3 of threads for reviews from June 2017. I would highly recommend and expect you will have a wonderful cruise. Bon Voyage!

My wife and I sailed on the Wind in April, from Monte Carlo to Rome. She is beautiful with understated elegance just like her sister ships. If reviewer you mentioned likes gaudy, then perhaps why they were disappointed. Nothing appeared "old" or "tired' to us. Didn't take specific notice of the TV as if was rarely on. We had a fantastic time with the wonderful staff and crew. Check out thread "Wind in top form" on page 3 of threads for reviews from June 2017. I would highly recommend and expect you will have a wonderful cruise. Bon Voyage!

Thank you for your reply. I will check that thread.

Can any recent Wind travellers give any more info please?
Merly,

I think you might enjoy the topics listed below with links to answer your questions:

Silver Wind in Top Form

Silver Wind Dry Dock

Silver Wind Cruise Video

Silver Wind Trans-Atlantic Voyage

In addition, Col. Wes is presently on the Wind in Norway. So, look for his topic on the main page. You can't miss it.

Best Wishes!

Luxury means different things to different people! Important to me is good service, good food, pleasant surroundings. The Wind provides all of these things but it is an older ship and does not offer the glitz and glamour of some more modern ships. Carpets, upholstery and drapes are in good repair and the outdoor spaces are also well kept. The Wind reminds me of the days of Ocean liners and there are touches in the Theatre and public areas which are in that style - a traditional, some might call it old fashioned, style.

The Wind (in mid-ship Veranda staterooms has a Philips flat screen TV but it is not a Smart TV and the number of useful channels is small - Fox News, Sky News, BBC World News, Sky Sports News is about it. Wifi is OK at the moment and the one free hour a day has proved adequate. I bought a 24-hour package at $25 when I needed to do some work.

Our room is a good size with a very comfortable bed and lots of seating by the windows. There is plenty of storage. The walk-in wardrobe is big and even I didn't manage to fill it. Our room is in very good repair except for the coffee table which looks a little scuffed but this is because they put a bigger top on it if you want to dine in your room and it has left marks.

My only criticism concerns the bathrooms. On our deck they are small and all have a small bath with choice of two showers (one fixed and one hand-held) over. The bath has a fixed shower screen up one end and plenty of hand rails. The showers are efficient and the hot watere plentiful but I would have liked the choice of a shower cubicle which I just find safer on a moving ship.

This is our first time on Silversea and we would be happy to return, even on the older of their ships. At the moment, the service is second to none and the food is exceptionally good.

We are due to sail on the Wind in May next year, our first with Silversea. I saw that it had a refurb last year but now am somewhat worried by a review from May this year. The reviewer says that it lacks some of the nice touches you expect on a luxury cruise, it looks tired, the TVs are old and outdated etc. Can any recent Wind travellers give any more info please? Am I going to be disappointed?

I see you are an RCI D+-- as are we-- our first SS was the wind last March and upon our return, we booked 2 more cruises with SS. We found the Wind delightful, the staff second to none and the condition of the ship top rate. The differences between large ship and small ship cruising are substantial all favoring the Wind class ship on SS. we are hooked and are not likely to leave SS anytime soon-- We really liked our Seabourn cruise but we Loved the SS cruise