Shopping in Puerto Limon

lscole

I will be in Puerto Limon in Jan and so far I think I'm going to do the canals in the morning and the train in the afternoon. I wanted to know is there any shopping around the pier? What is there to buy? Is town right at the pier ?I'll probably have about 2 hours between tours.

Thanks

There are 2 different piers you can dock at. We docked at Puerto Limon and there was some very good shopping at the end of the pier with local venders that offered very nice wood carvings, coffee, and some of the usual things.

The other pier we saw on our tour. There was nothing there.

Linda,

There's a shopping area set up at the exit of the pier area before you go "into town"... this is the port to do your "souvenier shopping" on the Brilliance sailing... you'll see the same things you see in Panama BUT the prices are cheaper and the selection nicer... LOADS of carved wood items... wooden puzzle boxes that are really reasonable canes and other handcrafted items. I know you'll be sailing a week or so after we return so I'll take notes and let you know ASAP when I return this time (did it this New Years too).

Carolyn

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am a coffeeholic - Aside from purchasing the deal from Cafe Britt on the Brilliance ( 20 bags of Costa Rican Tarrazu and Tres Rios) about 16# for $99 bucks including free shipping and a coffee grinder, we were told that the coffee on the pier "Might not be fresh" BALONEY!

There were several vendors hawking coffee and one woman said. Senior -

Onebag for $5, 2 for $7.50 $3 for 10 and I'll throw in a 4th if you buy 3 - Ok so for $10 dollars I get 4 17oz bags of coffee ( ground) - I was surprised the customs guys didnt arrest me. To make a long story short - when we got home I opened one of the bags as we were out of coffee and had a pot of some of the best coffee we had with the exception of the Jamaica Blue we bought in Ocho Rios - at a cost of $2.50 yet.

Almost out of coffee so I may just have to go back to Costa Rica.

My wife has reflux and coffee bothers her - not this stuff - she can drink it without sugar and sometimes without cream.

Rosewood trays are also a super bargain - Wish I bought more - Got a real beaut for $15.00

Also bought a great CD from one of the Marimba players on the pier for $8.00

If you have time then walk to town about 2 1/2 blocks from the pier to the supermarket, the coffee price is cheaper than around the pier. At this store (very nice and modern) has many other brands too, you can pay for your purchase in US Dollars. The security guard at the pier can show you the way to it (he did to me). Many tour guides want you to trade at the pier but the walk is a easy ones so if there is enough time just try.

We were in Limon this past April and can't wait to go back again next year at the same time.

Happy cruising

• 10 years later...
If you have time then walk to town about 2 1/2 blocks from the pier to the supermarket, the coffee price is cheaper than around the pier. At this store (very nice and modern) has many other brands too, you can pay for your purchase in US Dollars. The security guard at the pier can show you the way to it (he did to me). Many tour guides want you to trade at the pier but the walk is a easy ones so if there is enough time just try.

We were in Limon this past April and can't wait to go back again next year at the same time.

Happy cruising

Hi ChattTenn - Your post here was the most recent and it's 10 years old - so I hope YU or someone else sees it.

I have 4 hours plus to do someing in Puera Limon after our 4 1/2 hour tour on Jan 18th. Unfortunately it is a SUNDAY! Do yiu think the supermarket will be open? And other than yiur tour, what else did you do at the port stop.

Steve

• 8 months later...
We will be in Puerto Limon on a Sunday. Are the shops open? Any other attractions closed on Sundays?

Thanks.

First, yiu will LOVE the Equinox We were on it in January and the itinerary was great! As for Puero Limon, this is not a shopping town. And there is virtually nothing to do in downtown area. That's why you need to take a tour .

But YES you can shop for gifts and ESPECIALLY COFFEE! Attached to the Port terminal is a Market. They sell crafts and food and COFFEE! (Honestly, don't leave Costa Rica without coffee. It is not only high quality but cheap at about $5.lb). Now I'm adventurous and went for a wal;k outside the port area - I especially wanted to find a supermarket (where coffee is generally cheaper - it will be in Colombia if that is a stop) There is a baseball field and a lot of empty streets. I made a You Tube video of our day in Puerto Limon and will be happy to share it. I can't remember if CC blocks the URL but I'll try.

Feel free to follow up with questions. I can also HIGHLY recommend some great PRIVATE tours I took in four of our ports if yiu haven't made plans yet. They were MUCH cheaper and more personal.

In Costa Rica we did take X's tour and I would not recommend that. I can tell you what tour others were happier with.

Here is the Puerto Limon video link:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve in Philly

Would love some more info on your PRIVATE tours we are in Puerto Limon, Cartegena, Georgetown, Cozumel and Colon so any tips appreciated if you have been to any of these ports, we are on the Celebrity Equinox in early Feb next year.

Thanks Irene

Hi Steve in Philly

Would love some more info on your PRIVATE tours we are in Puerto Limon, Cartegena, Georgetown, Cozumel and Colon so any tips appreciated if you have been to any of these ports, we are on the Celebrity Equinox in early Feb next year.

Thanks Irene

Hi Irene. Yiou are on the Same Itinerary we had on the Equinox in January (2015) except we went to Grand Cayman instead of Georgetown and we went to Belize City - which I loved.. We took the ships tour in Costa Rica and, were frankly somewhat disappointed. All other ports were private tours which were more personal and a LOT cheaper - and the money stayed local.

I realize this is further afield than the thread here and I'll answer your question but would suggest that you look on threads for the specific ports you mention.

Here are the private tour companies I used. I suggest yiu contact them ASAP as some fill up. And you pay when you get there: Except for Cartagena I was able to put a group together of 5 to 7 more people so we were small. And had plenty of room in a van and got to do things like go to grocery stores.

Cartegena - We used Marlevy. (Dora the Explorer is the only other). Marlevy had two buses (maybe 30 people) and was on our bus. Cartegena, Colombia – 7:00AM – 4:00PM

5 hour tour with Marelvy. Starts at 7:30 and ends about 12:30. Price $63 – pay there. marelvy@gmail.com. Tell her I sent you please. She's wonderful!

Colon Panana: booked the Gatun Locks, Fort and Rain Forrest Tour with My Friend Mario (Canal, Locks and Rainforest). $65 – pay at time of tour.. I'm glad I did this one. You get to see great things. My wife took the ships tour through the looks. It is NOT air conditioned, 7 1/2 hours and yiu don't see much. Check the reviews on Mario and yiu'll see why he's #1. A unique experience.

In Cozumel I wanted to try scuba diving and still see the Mayan Ruins. (I am not a water person but we were there an hour and yiu didn't have to go in. This was one of our best tours. Just 6 of us. It was a 5 hour island tour with Arturo of Safe Tours and Includes lunch. Price was $59.99 plus $9.95 for Mayan Ruins. You make a $9.95 deposit (and Arturo give 10% to a local charity). He is very responsive by email and even has a toll free (from US) #.

Email Arturo at: info@safetourscozumel.com and tell him I said Hi. BTW, my name is Steve Ramm.

Well there you have it. Feel free to send a private message and also share this on your roll call.

To give you an idea of what to expect you can see the Youtube videos I made of each tour. I'll post link here and hope CC doesn't block it.

Cozumel:

Cartagena:

Colon: panama:

Puerto Limon:

Steve