Currency for Israel ?

Ex-Airbalancer

Generally, no. Tourist oriented businesses (such as hotels, car rental agencies, etc.) might be willing to take foreign currency, but often with a very bad exchange rate. Shops, restaurants, taxis, public transportation and the like will likely only accept NIS.

However, it is possible to pay with credit cards in many many locations and ATMs are plentiful.

Your reluctance appreciated.

In touristy parts, goods are often priced in euros & shekels.

You'll get by with euros or plastic for most things, including taxis & vans at the port. And for a taxi from Jerusalem to Ashdod we all ended up using a mix of euros & shekels.

I wouldn't be so confident about USD.

Best bet is probably wait til you're in port, & get shekels from an ATM.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

We were in Israel 18 months ago and shekels were the required currency from what I remember. We went to Ako by train and went into a big restaurant by the sea, but there were some problems about paying by card, so I would suggest you had the shekels available or asked before ordering.

If you are there over a Friday or Saturday and intend to travel independently be aware that their public transport, especially trains, do not operate on the sabbath which starts at sundown on Friday. We were there on a Fri/Sat and travelled independently to Ako on Fri. The trains back to Ashdod finished about 2pm as it would have been sundown before the journey terminated in Tel Aviv if leaving after that. We did stay on, but had to get a shared taxi, (called a sheroot, but that is probably the wrong spelling), back to Ashdod with a taxi down the hill to the port - we also got a taxi to the 'sheroot' stop as we would have had no idea where to go to catch one. Some buses continue a bit longer and there may be some local buses on the sabbath in Ashdod but I am not sure. Money change bases closed as well of course.

Shared taxis are far cheaper than ordinary taxis, which are very expensive in Israel, yet are a very good method of transport and seemed to be used by many local people. They are minibuses in good condition and the fare is passed forward to the driver via other passengers, one of whom spoke very good English and helped us understand the system and advised us where to get off.

We did the standard trip to Nazareth and Galilee on the Saturday which operated normally.

On our last cruise to Israel, most touristy places took our dollars. Even the small vendors in Jerusalem and Akko. We didn't really care about exchange rates, we just bought small items as gifts anyway.

We have traveled to Israel many times, by ship and land. More recently by ship, 2011 on NCL, 2009 on Cunard, going again on Celebrity in October this year.

My DH lived in Israel 45 years ago, speaks Hebrew. We have not had any probem using US dollars for short visits. If we need to buy some skelels, he often does so from a taxi driver or sidewalk cafe vendor. Often taxi drivers have a variety of funds from different tourists.

We spent 3 days in the Haifa on our last trip, I know we made purchases and took taxis using dollars. We even went to a local post office in Haifa at the port area and mailed packages to family all over Israel... again we paid in dollars. We never us a credit cards except in hotels.

If we need to buy some skelels, he often does so from a taxi driver or sidewalk cafe vendor. Often taxi drivers have a variety of funds from different tourists.

I'm sorry, but this is really illegal... Anyone trading foreign currency must be registered and certified per the amendment to the "Prohibition on Money Laundering" law from 2002, for obvious reasons.

I understand the people on vacation don't want to worry about their money as much, but don't understand at all why they would like to waste it on some "Pitzutzia" guy's bad (if not arbitrary) change rates. At best, this is nice tax-free pocket money for the said guy. At worst, this is contribution to organized crime.

I'm sorry, but this is really illegal... Anyone trading foreign currency must be registered and certified per the amendment to the "Prohibition on Money Laundering" law from 2002, for obvious reasons.

I understand the people on vacation don't want to worry about their money as much, but don't understand at all why they would like to waste it on some "Pitzutzia" guy's bad (if not arbitrary) change rates. At best, this is nice tax-free pocket money for the said guy. At worst, this is contribution to organized crime.

We are not talking about high finance here, more like petty change. Most small businesses we have made purchases at were willing to take US dollars. Works for us, being in port for a short time.

When Tourists come to the US from Israel do you really think they expect us to take there Shekels?? Be a good tourist and not an " ugly" American, get some local cash or use your credit cards.

The tour group we are using only quote their price in USD not shekels, so how can you blame the tourists