Aruba and Curaçao ports

kelly.campbell

In Aruba your family can take the public bus to Palm Beach. Palm Beach offers lots of activities to keep your kids content.

More beach info http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2030062

In Curacao we were a family of 10 (on a Christmas cruise) and spent the day at Playa Porto Mari. I was unsuccessful in renting a car for the day so we just opted for a taxi from the cruise terminal to PPM. No problem prearranging a return pick up with the same driver.

PPM was an excellent option because it offered about the best of what serves for a beach in Curacao but it also offered snorkeling.

I would love to see Playa Porto Mari, but I'm concerned with the transportation issue. Is it fairly easy to get a taxi at the port? Do the drivers wait at Porto Mari, or do they come back?

Anyone have an issue with their driver not returning? I've heard of this happening at other ports when longer taxi rides are involved. :(

Pat

There were tons of taxis and the driver was more than willing to come back for us which he did. Even on the off chance that the driver did not come back there were other taxis there hoping for a fare and I am positive that someone at the dive shop or bar/restaurant would gladly call one for you.

Though Boxing Day is a national holiday, we have found over the years on the Dutch Islands like Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao, it is more or less a day of rest. When tourism is your main source of income and the holiday falls during the busiest week of the year you work on the holiday?

hi arubalisa,

just to clarify because i have not been able to get confirmation on this. the the public bus from the port will be running? Yes and if so do you know the time schedule??

for curacao, do you remember what you paid for the taxis? I have read your review about PPM, so i was thinking that or playa abao would be our destination? But i don't want to pay a fortune to just sit on a beach- i am find enjoying an empty ship, if you know what i mean?

thanks, cj

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

It's late... But the OP has returned! The "heart" patients couldn't take the heat in Aruba, so they shopped and saw the sights within a mile of the ship. The youngest and I saw lots of sights and traveled the island. Tons of fun! When we got to Turks... We grabbed a photographer from the ship and took family pics on the beach. They turned out BEAUTIFUL and there was no sitting fee!

We ventured out again at Christmas (on the Magic) and are awaiting July for the Freedom.

It's late... But the OP has returned! The "heart" patients couldn't take the heat in Aruba, so they shopped and saw the sights within a mile of the ship. The youngest and I saw lots of sights and traveled the island. Tons of fun! When we got to Turks... We grabbed a photographer from the ship and took family pics on the beach. They turned out BEAUTIFUL and there was no sitting fee!

We ventured out again at Christmas (on the Magic) and are awaiting July for the Freedom.

Hello there!

I'm so glad you returned and posted results. It's good to hear you had such a nice experience. Thanks for letting us know how it all turned out.

Happy cruising!

Edited by JimAOk1945