Great House Plantation Tour or Rafting on the Martha Brae?

GoochDSA

My wife and I (no kids) will be cruise DCL in September. We are torn between the Great House Plantation Tour and the Rafting on the Martha Brae excursions. They seem to be very different, which doesn't help. Does anyone have any experience with either of these tours (either through DCL or any other cruise line)?

Any thoughts, opinions or reviews would be greatly appreciated.

TIA! :D

They are two different types of activities. I've read about the Great House Plantation tour, but I think I would recommend the bamboo rafting on the Martha Brae. Just seems so "different" and cool. The rafts that they use are pretty unique and the "pilots" sing songs and tell stories along the way.

Would the rafts accommodate two larger people? the pictures I have seen look like cozy seating with two smaller people. I did not see weight restrictions on the tour description.

Yes, they will so you shouldn't have a problem.

The day we did Martha Brea, the river was "running fast" so we were actually on the raft for only about 20 minutes. Lots of driving on a bus to get there for a 20 minute ride. :rolleyes:

LuLu

Yes, they will so you shouldn't have a problem.

The day we did Martha Brea, the river was "running fast" so we were actually on the raft for only about 20 minutes. Lots of driving on a bus to get there for a 20 minute ride. :rolleyes:

LuLu

That depends on where you dock of course. We are both bigger people and had no problem. We enjoyed it immensly.

We did our own river rafting. We walked through the port at Falmouth and followed the signs to the taxis, which are all regulated and which have to have permission to enter the port. We negotiated a price for the return journey - we did not pay him for the rafting. The driver was excellent and it was a very pleasant 20/30 min drive. When we got there we were ahead of the tours and paid for the rafting direct. Or driver said he would wait for us down river and take us back to the ship - we did not pay him at this stage.

We had a wonderful relaxing trip down the river without the company of dozens of other people, and I can really recommend this. It took about an hour as we drifted slowly down the river. The driver was waiting for us and drove us back to the ship. At no time did we feel at all unsafe.

We have also done the afternoon tea the Good Hope Plantation which we loved. In fact we did it again in June when on Oasis. It is a wonderful historic house with real atmosphere. The views from the gardens are stunning. Tea was served outside on the verandah, where tiny humming birds flew overhead, sipping sweet water from a special container strung in the rafters. It's about 30/40 mins drive and the driver points out things of interest on the way. We booked this with RCI.

Hope you enjoy your cruise - either of these tours is great. If you do book a ship tour of the Martha Brae rafting experience then hang back a little and try to get on one of the last rafts, so that you are not in the middle of lots of other rafts. this will give you a more peaceful journey.

Edited by ellie1145