Cab fare in Galveston

islasisterchick

We are staying in Galveston March 5 at a hotel that has free parking, but no shuttle. It appears a lot of streets are closed down for Mardi Gras through Sunday March 6. I believe that means that taxi rides will cost more as they are charged by distance. Is there any other transportation alternative? Or is it just best to grab a taxi? Our hotel is less than 2 miles from the port if you go straight down 25th, but we'll have to go around downtown and the Mardi Gras traffic. So any suggestions? We have 2 cars, so we don't want to pay $100 in fees for the lots, but there are 6 of us and luggage so that means 2 taxis unless they have van taxis. A taxi company quoted me $3+$1 per extra person +$.060/mile which comes to $20 each way for the six of us, but then I've heard lots of people say its $25 for one taxi each way. Anybody have recent experience? Thanks

I paid $16 one way and $15 or $14 the other way. The first guy took off the scenic way, and I was like whoa...I just want to go to the port.

If you have 6 people, drive them and drop them off and then come back and park the cars. One person can take the taxi back. Or take 4 and drop them off and the driver plus the other two can take the taxi...no reason to need a big taxi for 6.

For short cruises ... I just move my car to EZCruiseparking ...its not worth the cost of the taxi when its only $35 total to park and have better shuttle service. I only used the taxi when its a 7 day.

There are plenty of streets that go through to Harborside Drive and the pier that do not add distance. The downtown district will have streets closed as well as Seawall for the noon parade, but this will not prevent access to the port.

Where are you staying? I can give you directions.

I'm staying at the Sheraton Four Points. So what's the best way to avoid closed streets? Thanks

Archived