Princess Check-In Times

makawe

Anyone off Princess lately especially Emerald noticed if the suggested check-in times have been enforced...i.e. have people checking in earlier than their suggested time been turned away.

We have a check-in time of 2pm, but were hoping to checkin as soon as we can.

Anyone off Princess lately especially Emerald noticed if the suggested check-in times have been enforced...i.e. have people checking in earlier than their suggested time been turned away.

We have a check-in time of 2pm, but were hoping to checkin as soon as we can.

with princess they dont enforce check in times, if you want to board earlier it shouldnt be a problem but once boarding starts it gets very busy, you can be onboard by 12 noon and go straight to your room and drop off your carry on and then have lunch...if you want to miss the rush come after 1pm

We sailed on Golden Princess out of Melbourne in December and no one enforced the boarding times. As platinum cruisers we were aboard within 30 minutes but others had to queue for much longer.

The week before our sailing, Princess bombarded us daily with texts and e-mails telling us that boarding times would be strictly enforced. There seems little point in doing this if they do not follow it through on the day.

Boarded on pre Christmas cruise recently and was talking to a terminal employee and from her observation over the years this how passengers board:-

25% of Px arrival is governed by how they travel to the city e.g. plane, train bus; :cool:

25% arrive according to their allocated time; :)

50% arrive when it suits them, usually early and head for the buffet.:p

Boarded on pre Christmas cruise recently and was talking to a terminal employee and from her observation over the years this how passengers board:-

25% of Px arrival is governed by how they travel to the city e.g. plane, train bus; :cool:

That sounds about right, enforcement of the times is rarely done so people will queue up anyway.

They don't enforce anything unless it saves them money.

Then why allow all those people on early, surely they would be spending more on food than what they would make on drinks.;)

But I didn't say they enforce anything that costs.

And I'm not so sure anyway.

Their financials show that they spend about $10 pp pd on food ingredients, that's about $3.50 a meal, so two drinks (maybe only one) and their at least break even.

I was shocked by the $10 on food till Mrs Gut and I sat down and talked it through, there are three of us, so that's $210 a week for our household, when you take out cleaning products, toiletries, and the like we probably spend less than that on ingredients and then Princess get the benefit of buying in bulk.

Then why allow all those people on early, surely they would be spending more on food than what they would make on drinks.;)

Not sure about that. Have you seen all the boarding day sailaway cocktails being sold? There's a fair margin in it.

But seriously, I don't think boarding time is being assessed for cost savings...

Though witness the recent change on at least some Celebrity sailings where people are kicked off earlier to address the reduced staffing!

But I didn't say they enforce anything that costs.

And I'm not so sure anyway.

Their financials show that they spend about $10 pp pd on food ingredients, that's about $3.50 a meal, so two drinks (maybe only one) and their at least break even.

I was shocked by the $10 on food till Mrs Gut and I sat down and talked it through, there are three of us, so that's $210 a week for our household, when you take out cleaning products, toiletries, and the like we probably spend less than that on ingredients and then Princess get the benefit of buying in bulk.

Yeah, those figures are realistic.

The somewhat surprising (though not really if you follow the practical changes rather than just the marketing) thing is how they've managed to reduce those food costs over the past few years.

What is happening with that?

Just another of those little changes they make...

People on at least some Celebrity cruises are now being told to leave their room by 7 a.m. on final day. This is presumed to be because assistant stewards are now gone , so stewards need the extra time to prepare for boarding guests.

They're also told to have the final luggage out before they go to dinner the previous day, so have to wear travelling day's clothes to dinner. It sort of makes you feel like the cruise is already over by bringing it forward so much, to my mind.

Though, as it seems unreasonable, and many people are complaining, I wouldn't be surprised if this gets rescinded. Though another poster here would seem to consider that "Celebrity quality" so maybe it will stay as well...

Just another of those little changes they make...

People on at least some Celebrity cruises are now being told to leave their room by 7 a.m. on final day. This is presumed to be because assistant stewards are now gone , so stewards need the extra time to prepare for boarding guests.

They're also told to have the final luggage out before they go to dinner the previous day, so have to wear travelling day's clothes to dinner. It sort of makes you feel like the cruise is already over by bringing it forward so much, to my mind.

Though, as it seems unreasonable, and many people are complaining, I wouldn't be surprised if this gets rescinded. Though another poster here would seem to consider that "Celebrity quality" so maybe it will stay as well...

Interesting. I suppose the guests being asked to be out of their cabins by 7am have asked for early disembarkation or have the ships shorex and/or airport transfers.

Interesting. I suppose the guests being asked to be out of their cabins by 7am have asked for early disembarkation or have the ships shorex and/or airport transfers.

It's a US thread, but it seems everyone is being asked to be out by 7:00.

What time do they dock then? What time is breakfast starting?

The usual times for those things. Just you have to be out of your room earlier. And pack and give up your luggage earlier.

Edited by The_Big_M

The usual times for those things. Just you have to be out of your room earlier. And pack and give up your luggage earlier.

So breakfast starting at 6.30 and people need to be out of cabin at 7, I can't see any issues with that at all.:rolleyes:

I guess their idea there is you take your hand luggage with you to the buffet/dining (since they don't suggest any alternatives). Makes departure day even more crowded and busy. And more fun for those who prefer self-disembarkation. Or maybe they'll just do what P&O did for that!

As said, I'd expect they'll be forced to revisit this.