Valparaiso Hotel

PrincessLucy

We're going to be staying at the Hotel Acontraluz overnight in just a few days. When I get back from my cruise, I will come back here and post my comments about it.

They have a nice website with lovely photos and a cool 360@ tour of the hotel.

We're going to be staying at the Hotel Acontraluz overnight in just a few days. When I get back from my cruise, I will come back here and post my comments about it.

They have a nice website with lovely photos and a cool 360@ tour of the hotel.

Thanks so much. I appreciate it. Have a safe and enjoyable cruise.

We stayed at the Hotel Orly, which was very pleasant, free breakfast, coffee and tea available in the lounge all day and next door to several good restaurants, in a safe and clean area.

Just to clarify, the Hotel Orly is in Santiago. We also stayed at the Orly and concur with the above favourable review. But it is a long way from Valpo...

John

Just to clarify, the Hotel Orly is in Santiago. We also stayed at the Orly and concur with the above favourable review. But it is a long way from Valpo...

John

Thanks. I looked online and found that out! We're going to stay in Valpo.

I suggest that you consider Viña del Mar instead of Valpariasio. We were advised that Valpariasio is not as safe (crime). We stayed at the San Martin Hotel in Viña del Mar. It was nice, had a nice restaurant and close to the ocean.

I suggest that you consider Viña del Mar instead of Valpariasio. We were advised that Valpariasio is not as safe (crime). We stayed at the San Martin Hotel in Viña del Mar. It was nice, had a nice restaurant and close to the ocean.

How far is Vina del Mar from the Port? How did you get to the port, cab?

How far is Vina del Mar from the Port? How did you get to the port, cab?

We booked the hotel through SouthExcursions in 2011, when we ended our cruise from FLL. It is a few miles from the port, but I don't think anything around the port is very nice.

Taxis are not expensive in Chile.

Check it out on TripAdvisor.

Vina del Mar and Valparaiso are adjacent and essentially run into one another. We stayed in Vina (at the Sheraton, on Starwood points) the night before boarding a ship at Valpo in March 2013. It was only a few km -- perhaps a 10 min taxi ride -- from the Sheraton to the cruise terminal. However, in my opinion, Valpo is the more interesting place. If we had not already spent a few hours in Valpo following each of two previous disembarkations, we probably would have chosen a hotel in Valpo rather than Vina, so as to be better situated for touring Valpo. I have not re-checked Valpo hotel reviews recently, but seem to recall that Valpo has some hotels with good reviews somewhat up the hills from the downtown and port areas.

John

Edited by J-D

• 3 weeks later...

We're back from our cruise, and I wanted to post that we were very pleased with the Acontraluz hotel. It's one of the patrimonial hotels up in the hills overlooking the city and the Pacific. It only has about 8 rooms, and with the renovations to change it from a house to a hotel, has a nice mixture of old (furnishings, hardwood floors) and modern (bathrooms). They are "green" and use solar energy as much as possible.

Our room was on the main floor and our private terrace, with comfortable outdoor furniture, overlooked the Pacific. We had comfortable beds with nice quality linens. They offered great personalized service, and arranged for a car to pick us up at the Santiago airport, and for our transport from the hotel to the port the following day.

Edited by flamomo

• 4 months later...
We're back from our cruise, and I wanted to post that we were very pleased with the Acontraluz hotel. It's one of the patrimonial hotels up in the hills overlooking the city and the Pacific. It only has about 8 rooms, and with the renovations to change it from a house to a hotel, has a nice mixture of old (furnishings, hardwood floors) and modern (bathrooms). They are "green" and use solar energy as much as possible.

Our room was on the main floor and our private terrace, with comfortable outdoor furniture, overlooked the Pacific. We had comfortable beds with nice quality linens. They offered great personalized service, and arranged for a car to pick us up at the Santiago airport, and for our transport from the hotel to the port the following day.

In case anyone else is following this thread at a later date, the prices start at about $300/night at this hotel.

We stayed in Vina del Mar for two nights before our cruise. In our opinion it was the better choice compared to Valpo because of the surroundings ( beach, gardens and parks etc.) Valparaiso is more interesting if you want to see the historic houses and sights but it is not easily walkable.

We stayed at the Sheraton at a great price ( senior reduction) with included breakfast and loved that hotel because of its location and superb service. The San Martin ( nearer to the beaches and restaurants) looked good as well.

Fellow cruisers stayed at the Ibis hotel in Valparaiso because they really only wanted a budget hotel as a place to keep their luggage in and sleep the jet lag away. They said it was clean and comfortable and a good choice. The best thing in my opinion is its location - right at the entrance to the port.