Poker Tournaments Questions

Coachyo

So heading out in June on 1st cruise on NCL Escape.

Do they have poker tournaments during the weekend?

How many?

How many people enter?

What is usual money position?

Do I need to enter ASAP or after on board?

Any other info you think may be helpful appreciated.

Thanks, YO

Poker info

-$80 entry

-2000 starting chips

-unlimited $80 re-buys for first 2 levels(30 min each) 2000 chips

-$80 add-on at end of 2nd level 4000 chips

-blinds start at 100/200 and double each level except after 400/800 it goes to 500/1000

-top 3 paid no matter how many enter

-25% rake on all money collected

-usually 2 to 6 tables to start

-usually between 40-150 total entries with rebuys and add ons

-first place can range from $850(the smallest I have seen) and $4450(the largest I have seen and won)

-usually last 2-3 hours

-horrible tournaments

With all of this said, they are the easiest tournaments to cash in if you know how to play and are not afraid to rebuy when you get a bad beat(and you will with so many bad players). A lot of calling an all in with an ace or even a king. Very soft players. have fun

Poker info

With all of this said, they are the easiest tournaments to cash in if you know how to play and are not afraid to rebuy when you get a bad beat(and you will with so many bad players). A lot of calling an all in with an ace or even a king. Very soft players. have fun

I'm not a poker player (except for video poker;)) but my son goes on one or two NCL cruises a year and it is normal for him to cash in at least one, but usually two, tournaments during the week. Yes, he sometimes re-buys but it has paid off well for him.

These poker tournaments are a crap shoot you get 10 big blinds so you need to get lucky in the first two levels to chip up , I dont see any value in rebuying for what might be just 5 big blinds.

If you are a good poker player you will make a lot more in the cash games.

the rake is a joke but its the only game in town.

In saying that I will still play in the tournaments because I just cant help myself and i am in vacation mode and I always meet some cool people as its the same people that play poker every night so i find some poker guys that will listen to my bad beat stories over a beer or two.:D

Skeeter195 & IrishMac,

thanks for the info. It certainly is a crap shoot, with this structure you need patience but mostly luck especially early to get past the chasers and clueless wonders.

But of course as you said it's the only game in town and I am going to be in vacation mode. And boy do I have some bad beat stories....

Did I tell you when I had pocket AA's and....... :D

Thanks for the info and good luck, YO

• 1 month later...
Skeeter195 & IrishMac,

thanks for the info. It certainly is a crap shoot, with this structure you need patience but mostly luck especially early to get past the chasers and clueless wonders.

But of course as you said it's the only game in town and I am going to be in vacation mode. And boy do I have some bad beat stories....

Did I tell you when I had pocket AA's and....... :D

Thanks for the info and good luck, YO

i was going through the posts and see you sailed , any news on the poker ? ( Im on NCL Jade in July. How did you get on ?