Getaway and Ultimate Drink Package

I have searched and searched on this site about the drink package but can't to seem to find exactly what I am looking for.

1: Everyone says oh not much of a drinker so not worth it for me. I am a drinker, not a drunk, but enjoy drinking. I go out and can drink several in an evening. So is this a good option? I know to book beforehand to save money.

2: Does anyone know what drinks are not included? I know specialty restaurants drinks are included and the ice bar as well. Are all the bars such as howl at the moon, mojito bar and such covered?

3: It says drinks under $10 are included. What seems to be the average price? I drink vodka pineapple juice and orange juice? Would that be covered?

Thank you in advance. If you feel this should get asked somewhere else please let me know. Im new here. :confused:

Welcome!!!

I'm sorry I don't have a ton of answers I'm new too :D

But I would check out the Menus's at the different bars - here's Gambee's menu's they are for Breakaway but seem to be the best source for Men's that I've found http://www.cruisewithgambee.com/norwegian-drink-lists/ check out the prices of the drinks and see if it would work for you :)

I have not heard anyone say anything positive about the NCL drink package... However I HAVE heard great things about the Unlimited Dining Package :)

Good Luck I hope some people post better answers than me lol

Edited by cb3thatsme

I have searched and searched on this site about the drink package but can't to seem to find exactly what I am looking for.

1: Everyone says oh not much of a drinker so not worth it for me. I am a drinker, not a drunk, but enjoy drinking. I go out and can drink several in an evening. So is this a good option? I know to book beforehand to save money.

2: Does anyone know what drinks are not included? I know specialty restaurants drinks are included and the ice bar as well. Are all the bars such as howl at the moon, mojito bar and such covered?

3: It says drinks under $10 are included. What seems to be the average price? I drink vodka pineapple juice and orange juice? Would that be covered?

Thank you in advance. If you feel this should get asked somewhere else please let me know. Im new here. :confused:

I will give you the positive.

We have found it to be well worth the price. The ability to have pretty much have what you want when you want it is great. Not worrying about the price of each drink is great. Having a mimosa in the morning and wine with dinner among other drinks more than covers the price.

Only ultra premium drinks are not included. All of the bars are included. Regular drinks are around 8 dollars.

We had the UBP we got it for convenience of not having to sign we thought. On NCL you sign for every drink except so soda, so not convenient. The advantage if signing was they show the prices on your account . We drank a lot and spent around $500 so we didn't come close to breaking even.

2: Does anyone know what drinks are not included? I know specialty restaurants drinks are included and the ice bar as well. Are all the bars such as howl at the moon, mojito bar and such covered?Specialty restaurants are covered the ice bar was not. All of the other bars are included. We drank at the Mojito Bar almost every night. Best bartender at sea, Bong, is worth going to that bar alone.

3: It says drinks under $10 are included. What seems to be the average price? I drink vodka pineapple juice and orange juice? Would that be covered? The average price seemed to be around $7.50. We saw very few drinks in excess of $10 all week. Yours would be covered for sure. Also, a nice selection of wines for less than $10 a glass.

Please see answers above

Drinks in all the bars, venues, restaurants, etc. are included if price is $10 or less. Ice bar is NOT included.

Use this handy spreadsheet that WichitaStateCruise built, plug in the drinks you think you'd have on the cruise, and it will tell you whether or not you should purchase.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42797372&postcount=1

We loved it. We came out way ahead. We were able to try anything and everything the ship offered, and not worry about leaving it behind if we didn't like it, or if the ice melted, etc.

Edited by LrgPizza

• 1 month later...

We just got off the Getaway last week and we had the UBP, so I think I can answer most of your questions...

There is the benefit beyond "cost" when getting the UBP, which is not thinking about what your spending and just going with the flow and trying new drinks and abandoning ones you don't like (I did that several times).

The downside, however, is that bottles of wine are not included so you can't grab a bottle and go enjoy it in your room if you like. However, our work-around this was to bring a water bottle and we just stocked up on several glasses of wine, poured them into the water bottle and left that in our mini fridge in our room for when we wanted to enjoy a glass or two in the room.

Another supposed "downside" is that NCL's policy online says you can only orer 1 drink at a time and both one person can't go to the bar and order a drink for another person in your party with the UBP. They do NOT enforce this at all. As long as you have all the UBP cards (in our case 2), one person can go to the bar and order for both people AND the bartenders will serve each person more than one drink at a time.

All the bars, except the Ice Bar, are included. The restaurant Ocean-something (Zacharias-somethin'-or-other, some "celebrity chef" I never heard of), UBP doesn't work there either, from what I've heard. Otherwise, you're good.

There are VERY FEW drinks that are over $10. A few glasses of wine, the top-shelf spirits and maybe a cocktail, but none of the ship's advertised signature cocktails are more than $10. They range between $7 (special day) and $9.50 or so.

One more piece of advice you can take or leave, we always left an additional $1 per drink when we ordered (stocked up on singles before we left). The bar staff remembered us after Day 1 and we very attentive and happy to help throughout the rest of the cruise.

My husband and I got the drink package on our 4 day Sky cruise. We loved having it! It was awesome! It's very easy and every drink we ever wanted was included. We did not get off the ship for 2 of the port stops (Nassau and Freeport).... So we were able to use out drink package the entire trip.

Lots and lots of people on that cruise had the drink package. We all agreed what a great deal it was. The bartenders think it's smart to have as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had it in May and LOVED it.

I had 15 drinks on the first day (I know) - LOL! Most of them were weak pool drinks and then smirnoff ice... plus that was spread over about 14 hours.

I would often get a drink to take back to the room at the end of the night and didn't always finish it. Loved not worrying about that.

We broke even around day 4. We didn't get off the ship much just lounged by the pool then went to the clubs and activities at night. Loved it!

you last 2 are my kind of people! hahaha I wouldn't even think to pour it in a water bottle for later. I'm going to have to try that.

I can see myself drinking 15 drinks in the first day. It's the "let the vacation start!" attitude.

Thank you all!!! It seems to be very worth it. I can't wait. Just over a month!

you last 2 are my kind of people! hahaha I wouldn't even think to pour it in a water bottle for later. I'm going to have to try that.

I can see myself drinking 15 drinks in the first day. It's the "let the vacation start!" attitude.

Thank you all!!! It seems to be very worth it. I can't wait. Just over a month!

Phew! I was worried I was gonna get called a drunk! haha

I mean it's easy to have your 3rd in hand by the time you're on the ship for an hour (and then maybe take a bit of a break after that). I remember we then ate and made some friends and explored the ship and would stop at a bar whenever someone was empty or near empty - lol

I did *not* have 15 drinks on the other days LOL

We drink the premium gins, Beefeater, tanguary etc. Do you think they would be included in the drink package?

Thx

I think now that they upped it to $10 it will.

Before my husband couldn't get a martini with hendricks (unless the bartender was nice and rang it as 2 shots)... then he would have to get gordon's or beefeaters.

Ditto for martinis - some made me downgrade to Smirnoff. Some just rang it up a special way.

But that was when the limit was $8.50. $10 opens up a LOT more options

Thank you all for your help!! Forgot to respond, sorry! I didn't even think of not feeling like I wasted money if I don't like a drink or if the ice melts. that makes so much sense. I am getting the package for sure!

Exactly!

It's not for everybody and it's true that "breaking even" is one thing to consider. But the freedom to try new things, get a drink when ever and where ever you want without any concern of additional expense makes it a deal - as far as we are concerned!

For instance, I've never tried most of the signature drinks in the speciality restaurants - like the Speakeasy Martini at Cagney's - because I've been afraid I won't like it and will have wasted my money. :( The UBP that that "fear" out of the equasion.

Not sure I'd feel that the UBP is a good plan on a port intensive or family focused cruised. But when it's just DH and me and the ship is our "destination" (we've been to all of the ports MANY times) then it seems to make perfect sense for us! ;) :D

One of our really fun nights was when we each got the slot play coupon for $25 (I am sad those are gone)... and then we'd put $5 in, play it, go get a drink, and repeat. We actually ended up only spending about half our money that night because we ended up in Bliss and then who knows where. :)

Exactly!

It's not for everybody and it's true that "breaking even" is one thing to consider. But the freedom to try new things, get a drink when ever and where ever you want without any concern of additional expense makes it a deal - as far as we are concerned!

For instance, I've never tried most of the signature drinks in the speciality restaurants - like the Speakeasy Martini at Cagney's - because I've been afraid I won't like it and will have wasted my money. :( The UBP that that "fear" out of the equasion.

Not sure I'd feel that the UBP is a good plan on a port intensive or family focused cruised. But when it's just DH and me and the ship is our "destination" (we've been to all of the ports MANY times) then it seems to make perfect sense for us! ;) :D

It's just me sat to sat and only 3 ports, so it's be worth it. Those 3.5 days Im on the ship with no ports I can drink most of it. I figure have a few drinks, get food, have a few drinks, get food.. Continue. hahaha I can sober up since food is almost always available.

It's just me sat to sat and only 3 ports, so it's be worth it. Those 3.5 days Im on the ship with no ports I can drink most of it. I figure have a few drinks, get food, have a few drinks, get food.. Continue. hahaha I can sober up since food is almost always available.

ABSOLUTELY!! Drink, eat, relax and repeat..... :p ;) :D