Private Taxi versus Safari Taxi to Cane Garden Bay

newf1982

Hi there. Travelling with two small children (ages 2 and 7) and want to visit Cane Garden Bay. Looking for reviews/experiences with taxi transportation. I'm thinking I would feel more safe in a private (i.e. enclosed) taxi) than I would in an open-air safari style taxi.

Does anyone have any experiences to share?

We don't have young kids, but I would suggest you ask the taxi coordinator, or better yet stop by the visitors center at the dock and ask the nice ladies to direct you to a sedan or van taxi and they will take care of you. The enclosed taxis are available and you shouldn't have a problem.

Enjoy Tortola!

Hi there. Travelling with two small children (ages 2 and 7) and want to visit Cane Garden Bay. Looking for reviews/experiences with taxi transportation. I'm thinking I would feel more safe in a private (i.e. enclosed) taxi) than I would in an open-air safari style taxi.

Does anyone have any experiences to share?

We always take a private taxi to CGB rather than the safari taxis. For us, time is of the essence and the safari taxis will not leave the port until they are full IMO. So, we ask for a private taxi and almost always we get another 2-3 people jump in with us, which then makes the cost the same as a safari taxi and we get there well ahead of the safari group.

Yes just for anyone else interested, taxi fares haven't changed since 2010 and they are based on a per-person rate. Full price for one to CGB or Brewers Bay is $48 round trip, for two people $24pp RT, and for 3 or more full-fare adults $16pp RT. But it also depends on the experience you want, many folks like the open-sided safari for the ride and views that affords. Others with young kids are more interested in safety seats or belts a sedan or van taxi would provide.The safari taxes do fill up before leaving but they are very efficient as they do this every day.

The fare for your 2 yr old is free and 1/2 price for your 7 yr old so with the safari the fare would be $40 round trip total. With the private taxi not sure what up your fare would be since the kids are not full-fare but as mentioned if you have 3 adults the adult fare is $16pp RT.

We've stayed at Myett's when staying on Tortola, and would suggest getting lounges and umbrellas there, and having lunch there or at Tony's next door.

Enjoy your day!

Edited by blue_water

Yes just for anyone else interested, taxi fares haven't changed since 2010 and they are based on a per-person rate. Full price for one to CGB or Brewers Bay is $48 round trip, for two people $24pp RT, and for 3 or more full-fare adults $16pp RT. But it also depends on the experience you want, many folks like the open-sided safari for the ride and views that affords. Others with young kids are more interested in safety seats or belts a sedan or van taxi would provide.The safari taxes do fill up before leaving but they are very efficient as they do this every day.

The fare for your 2 yr old is free and 1/2 price for your 7 yr old so with the safari the fare would be $40 round trip total. With the private taxi not sure what up your fare would be since the kids are not full-fare but as mentioned if you have 3 adults the adult fare is $16pp RT.

We've stayed at Myett's when staying on Tortola, and would suggest getting lounges and umbrellas there, and having lunch there or at Tony's next door.

Enjoy your day!

Blue Water, do you recall the cost of loungers and umbrellas at Myett's? And up to what age for kids is fare 1/2 price?

Thanks!

Sorry can't help with the lounge/umbrella prices as we get then free when staying there, but others have posted the prics and you can use the search function to find those posts here.

You can find the published taxi fares here -

http://www.bvivacation.com/transportation/tortola-taxi-fares-rates.php#.WOE3nZH3af0

3 yrs and younger are free, 4 - 10 yrs are 1/2 fare.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Hello,

Are the cost the same for the enclosed taxis and the open larger taxis?

How long is the drive to Cane Garden Bay?

What is at this beach?

Thanks

Yes, 20 min taxi. fares are regulated and are based on the number of people for all taxis.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2451323