Seeking advice on Mediterranean cruise, new to the forums.

whodack

First time poster here.

My wife and I are looking to take a 6-9 day cruise in June. Trying to find a cruise line for us. We've cruised several times before, but it's always been Caribbean. We're at a different stage in our life looking for advice on which cruise line to choose.

What we're looking for:

• Mediterranean cruise.
  • Our budget is under 12k.
  • Age - Late 30s
  • Adults only. We have three children and are trying to have a "Get away" vacation.
  • Large ship.
  • Not too crowded.

I'm cross-posting this to a handful of the cruise lines we've heard about. Can any provide info for this cruise line, or suggest a better one given our criteria above?

Thanks!

First time poster here.

My wife and I are looking to take a 6-9 day cruise in June. Trying to find a cruise line for us. We've cruised several times before, but it's always been Caribbean. We're at a different stage in our life looking for advice on which cruise line to choose.

What we're looking for:

• Mediterranean cruise.
  • Age - Late 30s
  • Adults only. We have three children and are trying to have a "Get away" vacation.
  • Large ship.
  • Not too crowded.

I'm cross-posting this to a handful of the cruise lines we've heard about. Can any provide info for this cruise line, or suggest a better one given our criteria above?

Thanks!

Cunard will fit you criteria:

They do Mediterranean cruises

Depending on grade of cabin you chose, and whether the 12K includes airfare or not, you should be able to do the trip on your budget

The average age may be over late 30s, but we have found that we have have a great time socializing with other passengers who are older and younger than us, so age should not be an issue

We have travelled on Cunard both with and without our children. We have never felt that the ship was over run by youngsters.

I'm not sure what you mean by "large" ship. All three Queens seem large to me, with several bars and dining venues so you don't feel you have to do the same thing every day.

Even when full, I've not felt the ships to be crowded.

We have done Mediterranean cruises on Holland America and Cunard. Both lines were wonderful, and I think meet your criteria. I prefer Cunard as the ships seem to be more elegant and there isn't as much in the way of constant background music and announcements. I would suggest that you think about a longer cruise however, most of the better itineraries involve at least a 12 day voyage.

First time poster here.

What we're looking for:

• Mediterranean cruise.
  • Age - Late 30s
  • Large ship.
  • Not too crowded.

Thanks!

Hi whodack. Is your 12K budget all inclusive (airfare, transportation/transfers to and from the plane/ship, over-night hotel costs prior to ship's departure, gratuities, port fees and taxes, tours, on board charges)? Or are you asking about a 6-9 day Med cruise where the passage fare is approximately 12K?

Cunard ships aren't Adults only, there aren't usually a huge number on board but if it's important to you it might be better to choose another line.

Good point.

Just my opinion, but I think the OP needs the services of a good travel agent.

Cunard fits the bill for all but adult only. So Cunard would not be suitable for the OP.

There is a vast amount of information on CC on all the lines from folk who have sailed and even are sailing.

I don't believe a TA could ever be of much help in comparison. The OP should start reading.

David.

We did a QE med cruise last fall, Venice to Rome, 13 days. This is one cruise where the cruise line doesn't make much difference, nor does the cabin. Instead, find itinerary you want and the dates and then match the cruise line to those.

The ship is just overnight transportation, a place to crash, and a place to eat when you're not ashore. Done right, it's a physically challenging trip. You're up by 7 am, off the ship by 830 not back until late afternoon.

We saw more people napping over their dinners on this cruise than we ever had on other cruises. The staff in the night spots aboard ship complained that the lounges were dead every night (so no tips).

BTW, the "shoulder" season, late-Oct early-Nov was excellent. Warm but not stifling, smaller crowds.

check the vacations http://www.*************.com/ to go website to compare itinearies and prices. We've used them for years.

Also, think about pre and post cruise stays. This is one trip you don't want to miss because of a bad connection. For something different, consider Monastery Stays. http://www.monasterystays.com/ (you don't have to a member of their faith). We used them in Venice and in Rome. Excellent facilities, quiet (no TV) and secure. Most want you in by 10 pm. In Rome we were within easy walking distance of the Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps, the Porta Pia literally right outside our door. The Sisters had a 6 bedroom guest house with private baths & wifi (google translate is your friend). Breakfast was light, but good. They arranged our pick-up on departure and were up at 3am to ensure it all went well. Their order trains teachers in the 3rd world.

Didn't mean to go on. My point is that there are excellent facilities all over Italy without having to go the Hilton route.

Also consider arranging a private driving tour of the Amalfi coast. We used share a shore excursion to find people on our ship who wanted to join in (the ship's excursions overlapped for Pompeii and Amalfi, so otherwise we'd have to choose. Arranging our own, we got both...although it was a bit of a dash to see Pompeii and get back before departure).