dawso 53

Hi everyone this is my first time cruising. I am a 61 yr old Nanna,taking my 17 year old grandson on RCL Explorer of the Seas 3 night sampler cruise from Sydney 29 Nov15. Looking forward to it but have some concerns that I hope someone can help with.

Firstly I understand the cash less cruising but unsure about grandson. I really don't want him able to access my credit card. So can I put some cash on his account with a limit? Can I sign him up with a debit card? Must it be credit?

Do I need to pay gratuities on top of cruise cost?

Does anyone know about arcade on board and how to pay for games? I am sure as he says he's a gamer at home he'll want to go there.

Will my grandson have to dress up for dinner, like trousers, jacket and tie?

Lastly (for now anyway) Is there a charge to go to Johnny Rockets hamburger place?

Thanks

Hi everyone this is my first time cruising. I am a 61 yr old Nanna,taking my 17 year old grandson on RCL Explorer of the Seas 3 night sampler cruise from Sydney 29 Nov15. Looking forward to it but have some concerns that I hope someone can help with.

Firstly I understand the cash less cruising but unsure about grandson. I really don't want him able to access my credit card. So can I put some cash on his account with a limit? Can I sign him up with a debit card? Must it be credit?

Do I need to pay gratuities on top of cruise cost?

Does anyone know about arcade on board and how to pay for games? I am sure as he says he's a gamer at home he'll want to go there.

Will my grandson have to dress up for dinner, like trousers, jacket and tie?

Lastly (for now anyway) Is there a charge to go to Johnny Rockets hamburger place?

Thanks

I'm no expert, but I'll tell you what I think I know:)

I seem to recall that on RCI when you book the cruise it asks you how you want your account setup. You can specify a credit card, debit card or cash. You can also put your traveling companion on your card, or not. I don't know what happens when your companion is a minor.

I think if you specify cash then Guest Services will be in contact for a top up if the account gets too big. If at the end of the cruise there is money left over, you go back on the last day and cash out. If you owe, you need to pay it out in US currency to close the account. Always try to do it early, as the queues at the Guest Services counter can be tedious.

I believe that gratuities are included in the cost of the ticket now. If you want to give more, they'll certainly take it, but you don't have to.

Don't know about arcade games as I don't think adults are allowed in there (could be wrong as I've never tried). All I know is that they aren't free. I assume they work on some sort of token system.

Dress up is only for formal nights. Even then not all passengers can be bothered. All you really need is smart casual. Anyway, from what I've seen kids are mostly happier eating in the Windjammer (as am I when given the choice:D).

Johnny Rockets does cost money. Less than $10 I think.

Hope that helps.

Edited by SinbadThePorter

Welcome to Cruise Critic dawso53

I dont have kids so cant tell you specifically about how the arcade works, only from what I have read. Your Grandson will need credit on his sea pass card to be able to use the arcade machines.

Have you done the Online Check-In? You can specify having a 'cash' acount, you dont need a credit or debit card. You just set it up as 'cash' for both of you, unless you're using a card for your account.

When you booked, your paperwork should specify that you've had the Gratuities prepaid in the cost of your fare. If they have been prepaid, there isnt any need to tip any further (tho the Americans would disagree with me!!) - although having said that, if you're going to order room service there is a mandatory fee for delivery between 12am - 5am.

Johnny Rockets is fun, has a cover charge of US$5.95 and that covers as much fries, onion rings burgers and desert as you can eat! If I remember correctly, drinks you have to pay for seperately.

If there's anything else you need to know dont hesitate to ask. We're also doing the same cruise!

Ahh yes, in terms of what to wear to the MDR ... A smart casual outfit, something you'd wear to a nice dinner out. No scruffy clothes and no shorts ... you will be turned away and made to change if you turn up in shorts!! (Forgot one evening to change, and got turned away to go change out of the shorts!)

Formal night (which will be the 2nd night on our cruise) - Not many people get totally dressed up in really formal wear. For your Grandson, a smart pair of pants and a smart collared shirt and smart shoes. Then depending on how formal you want to dress, either a nice evening sparkly top and skirt/slacks or go the whole hog and dress up to the nines!!

THanks for the welcome and quick replies.

Thanks Tillydog, Yes he has smart pants and collared shirt. Pleased I won't need to get him a jacket, hopefully it will be warm He does have a nice jumper. I have a few sparkly tops to choose from so that's good news.

Yes SinbadthePorter he probably will prefer windjammers buffet BUT Nanna would like to have one special dinner.

I guess my T/A s a bit slow as I have no paperwork yet, only for payment of criuse. Johnny Rockets also sounds good, small payment for eating there not bad, don't mind.

Still a bit unsure as to what way to pay. I have credit card but I believe could have extra charges for using this. could just pay with cash BUT do I just use Aussie dollars or do I need USD? So confused.

I guess my T/A s a bit slow as I have no paperwork yet, only for payment of criuse.

Have you done online check-in yet? The documents are only issued when that is completed (I would have expected them by now).

Still a bit unsure as to what way to pay. I have credit card but I believe could have extra charges for using this. could just pay with cash BUT do I just use Aussie dollars or do I need USD? So confused.

If you want to pay cash, they will accept either AUD or USD onboard. But as their currency is USD, if you pay in AUD they will convert the cash at their rate which isn't favourable to you. So if you want to pay cash, best to estimate the right amount - not too much as you'll then have excess and have to pay to convert back unless you have another US trip in the future and buy that upfront from e.g. Australia Post. Order online if you want to do this with them.

Otherwise paying with credit card will see on average an extra 3-4% added to the converted amount. Given the cost of cash anyway, it's not likely to be a significant difference from doing that, so that would be the way I'd go generally for convenience, unless you're thinking you'll spend thousands onboard e.g. excursions, spa treatments, drinks packages...

[Leaving the best til last!] There is a third way which is best off as of today - no guarantees about the future. As of today, you can buy cash in advance onboard from RCL, at a rate of .769. That rate is better than the cash or credit card rates. If you call RCL you can buy at that rate now and it will be credited to your onboard account. Multiples of $25 US. You pay from your credit card now.

You still need to estimate what you need since you're buying it now, but at least you don't need to worry about which alternative to choose.

Edited by The_Big_M

Hi Dawso53 and welcome to the cruise critic. I am on your cruise too. There is a (pretty quiet) rollcall for this where you can introduce yourself.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2079046

With your onboard account, you can use cash or credit card. If you use cash you could use USD or AUD. If you use AUD the ship will convert to USD and generally at a crappy rate, so I personally would get USD beforehand if you got the cash way. If you use your credit card your bank may charge you foreign transaction fees, just depends on the bank.

I use a 28 degrees credit card and it is completely fee free to own and fee free on overseas purchases such as paying for your cruise spending.

With your grandson's spending you could either use cash or link him to your credit card. Some of the Royal Caribbean cruises we have been on you have been able to link to the credit card but set a limit of how much they could spend and if they hit it, they are frozen and can't buy anything else.

The arcade has a machine where you can "buy" credit for the machines using your cruise card or maybe cash, can't quite remember. Adults are allowed in there.