Avalon affinity Germany

painter55

Live from affinity. Well almost. I think there was too much wine poured at dinner. Great time so far. We are on the Main-Danube canal. Lots of locks. Coming into Bamberg in the morning. Very rainy in Nuremberg today. Market was interesting, even in the rain. Apparently people enjoyed the historic tours, rally grounds and other stops. Lots of info. Let me know if anyone has questions.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Hope that you enjoy Bamberg as much as we did - we were there last month as part of our DIY land-based trip. The river scenery, from the vantage points of the many bridges, is very picturesque. Try to check out the breweries, and if you have time, taste a Rauchbier (smoked beer). Unique flavor; the malt is smoked so it is an interesting accompaniment to grilled Bratwurst.

Your post seems fairly free of typos so it doesn't look like too much wine was poured at dinner. Either that, or I've had too much with my dinner, so I missed them! :D Have a great cruise!

On the Main today. Heading to Würzburg. We are doing the Rothenberg tour tomorrow. Bamberg was awesome. What beautiful city. Not much of a beer drinker so the smoked beer doesn't work for me. Our guide said if you have 3 or more it tastes better.

I love these towns... When in Würzburg, if you stay into evening, walk down to the Alte Mainbrücke and grab a glass of wine from one of the walk-up bars. Stand on the bridge as the sun goes down, and people watch. Love Würzburg. But Rothenberg is fun too.

I love these towns... When in Würzburg, if you stay into evening, walk down to the Alte Mainbrücke and grab a glass of wine from one of the walk-up bars. Stand on the bridge as the sun goes down, and people watch. Love Würzburg. But Rothenberg is fun too.

We weren't in Würzburg long enough, but certainly enjoyed the city while we were there.

Here we are in Rüdesheim. The ship had some problems that delayed us getting to the rhein river and also because of the critical water levels in the Rhein. Because of the delay it was decided that we should give up going to Boppard and just stay longer in Rüdesheim.

We did the visit to the music museum. Some very interesting instruments collected there. Not for everyone but I enjoyed it. Then for coffee with brandy. Yum!! Visited various areas of town and had supper. Also tasty. Photo of the restaurant here.

beb1379450c10fcfa514669ee8fda29d.jpg

I must recommend the cable car. Amazing views from the top. All in all a great day.

Glad to hear that Rudesheim is as fun as it looked when we visited. We barely had an hour there before we went on the ship's tour, so we didn't have enough time to take the cable car. And we were there in the morning, so no time to have lunch or dinner at any of the restaurants around town, all of which looked great! We plan to visit again when we can spend more time.

Thanks for checking in, and hope the Rhein water levels don't interfere too much with the rest of your cruise.

Glad to hear that Rudesheim is as fun as it looked when we visited. We barely had an hour there before we went on the ship's tour, so we didn't have enough time to take the cable car. And we were there in the morning, so no time to have lunch or dinner at any of the restaurants around town, all of which looked great! We plan to visit again when we can spend more time.

Thanks for checking in, and hope the Rhein water levels don't interfere too much with the rest of your cruise.

We were able to stay from 1pm to 9.45pm. A few people have gone to do the German dinner. (We did our own.) We always enjoy trying local foods when we travel.

Strasburg today. Unfortunately not enough time. Avalon took us on the batoboat for a canal cruise that I thought would be fun. Too bad the boat was completely enclosed which meant we could not take photos. The glare from the glass was too much so we pretty much missed seeing the loveliest part of Strasburg. The cathedral, of course, was amazing. Too short. Oh well. A quiet afternoon on board as the ship moves to Schonau. Maybe a walk there? Or not. Thanks to avalon waterways for a great river cruise.

Tomorrow Basel, Switzerland and our vacation moves into stage 2. Zürich to Munich, pick up car, drive to Salzburg, Vienna, Verona and area, Barolo, back through Switzerland and fly out of Munich.

You are having a great time, and thanks for the update! Hopefully it gets even better with the driving portion of your trip. Looks like a great route you have planned!

Luckily we did not do the canal boats in Strasbourg. I saw them and thought that the enclosure would limit sightseeing. It's a nice city and a shame you didn't have the time to wander more... We were lucky and had time to go back on our own all afternoon.

Hmmm. We were on Avalon and we had the canal tour, we thought it was a great way to see the city. There were open sections for photography. It gave a great overview of the city. We then continued on a walking tour. I remember they sold delicious gingerbread cookies, they were soft and chewy. Brought a few bags home with us.

Hmmm. We were on Avalon and we had the canal tour, we thought it was a great way to see the city. There were open sections for photography. It gave a great overview of the city. We then continued on a walking tour. I remember they sold delicious gingerbread cookies, they were soft and chewy. Brought a few bags home with us.

That's what I thought they might be. Something with open sections. We did one in Paris that was similar to that and it was great. Being a photographer it just kills me, not being able to photograph.

Y

Luckily we did not do the canal boats in Strasbourg. I saw them and thought that the enclosure would limit sightseeing. It's a nice city and a shame you didn't have the time to wander more... We were lucky and had time to go back on our own all afternoon.

We were on our own (by choice) in Strasbourg and had a fabulous day! I would not have wanted to do the canal boat there as wandering the streets was lovely! While hunting for a lunch spot we found a cafe where everyone we saw (through the windows) was eating platters of carpaccio. Could not pass that up! A whole page of the menu was devoted to carpaccio, served in a variety of ways. We ended up ordering an extra large platter with a ball of fresh mozzarella in the center, drizzled with pesto. That along with crusty bred and a bottle of red wine made for a most memorable meal. :)

Edited by caviargal