A mile from cruise port

My husband and I are departing Vancouver for an Alaska cruise in early May. We will be staying at the Empire Landmark Hotel the night before. Is walking to the cruise terminal feasible? We are both in our late 20s and walking a mile is not a big deal. However, we will have the luggage with us, not sure how that will change things.

If walking won't work, is a cab the best alternative? About how much do you think that will cost? I've only been in a cab once before in my life and it was an awful experience (same for my husband) that I would like to avoid repeating, but we will get over it if a cab is the best option. I have not traveled much outside of California, so I'm a bit overwhelmed!

My husband and I are departing Vancouver for an Alaska cruise in early May. We will be staying at the Empire Landmark Hotel the night before. Is walking to the cruise terminal feasible? We are both in our late 20s and walking a mile is not a big deal. However, we will have the luggage with us, not sure how that will change things.

If walking won't work, is a cab the best alternative? About how much do you think that will cost? I've only been in a cab once before in my life and it was an awful experience (same for my husband) that I would like to avoid repeating, but we will get over it if a cab is the best option. I have not traveled much outside of California, so I'm a bit overwhelmed!

taxi would be about $15 - 20 CDN .

I would recommend a taxi especially with luggage .

I also highly recommend taking a taxi. We stayed at the Blue Horizon Hotel, which is close to the Empire Landmark Hotel and the taxi fare was very reasonable (less than $10.00 Canadian dollars for us), so your fare should be approximately $10-$15 Canadian dollars. We had no problems with taking taxis twice in Vancouver. It was money well spent and so much easier than walking to the cruise terminal with luggage.

If you're physically capable of trundling your bags a mile and it's a nice day, it's not a difficult walk - and a cab will run you about $10 including tip as long as you ask to be dropped off NEAR the terminal (e.g. at one of the hotels like the Pan Pacific on top or the Fairmont Waterfront across the street). If you actually get taken underneath to the official taxi drop inside the pier the meter will tick up another buck or two while you crawl along with all the other cabs!

We have a few dodgy cabbies like everywhere else, but the distance is so short that as long as you can remember a couple of street names ("take Broughton to Pender") there's just no scope for even a super-dodgy cabbie to put one over on you! Here's a route and pricing on TaxiFareFinder - a very handy site, and extremely accurate here as all cabs use the same rates by law.

I am sorry you had a bad experience in a taxi. We have taken cabs in Vancouver and surrounding areas and never had a problem. I would recommend taking a cab, because if the weather is less than desirable, it could be a really long walk.

I am sorry you had a bad experience in a taxi. We have taken cabs in Vancouver and surrounding areas and never had a problem. I would recommend taking a cab, because if the weather is less than desirable, it could be a really long walk.

That's a good point, I hadn't taken the weather into consideration. I certainly don't want to walk several blocks with my luggage through wind and/or rain.

As for the taxi issue, I have a bit of a hard time giving up control. I like to do things myself, like carry my own bags, drive myself, etc. I have to keep reminding myself that this is a vacation, I need to relax and let go of some of that control!

That's a good point, I hadn't taken the weather into consideration. I certainly don't want to walk several blocks with my luggage through wind and/or rain.

As for the taxi issue, I have a bit of a hard time giving up control. I like to do things myself, like carry my own bags, drive myself, etc. I have to keep reminding myself that this is a vacation, I need to relax and let go of some of that control!

That annoying guy with the hat and all the stripes on his shirt is going to be in your face all the time you're trying to drive the ship... if taking a cab helps you ease into the swing of having others do the driving it's probably a good idea;-)

Are the cabs big enough to handle 4 adults with each adult having a large suitcase or should we walk? We are staying the night before at the Delta Suites in June. Also flying in to Vancouver.

You can always request a van taxi. All Vancouver companies have them. They are the same price as a regular taxi and easily hold 5 plus luggage.

Are the cabs big enough to handle 4 adults with each adult having a large suitcase or should we walk? We are staying the night before at the Delta Suites in June. Also flying in to Vancouver.

From the Delta you should be ashamed not to walk unless you have mobility issues, the weather REALLY sucks or those bags are REALLY heavy. It's less than 600 yards to Canada Place - likely faster to walk than wait for a cab, especially if you do need a minivan which only make up ~17% of local fleets and are much in demand on cruise mornings.

There's a bit of a debate going on at the moment as to how many people and bags of what size will actually fit in a Prius - but unless your big bags are actually not that big or you want to sit with luggage across your laps in the back seat, I'm on the side of take a minivan for four cruisers with a large case each. Or load a Prius with all the bags and one person, then the other three can walk unencumbered and probably beat the person in the cab!

How do I reserve a van taxi from the YVR airport to our hotel? Is there a company you can recommend or do we just get one when we arrive at the airport? I think we will take your advise and just walk from the hotel to the cruise port. I didn't realize that it was such a short distance.

How do I reserve a van taxi from the YVR airport to our hotel? Is there a company you can recommend or do we just get one when we arrive at the airport? I think we will take your advise and just walk from the hotel to the cruise port. I didn't realize that it was such a short distance.

Just go to the taxi stand outside the customs doors. Request a van taxi instead of a regular cab. Probably a couple of minutes wait for one to arrive.

Same flat rate as a regular taxi.