Picture-A-Week-2015 - Week 02

pierces

It's BOTH cold and snowy here in Central Ohio. Most all of the school districts are closed for the day. Lots of traffic slow-downs. Need proof and evidence? Plus, this gives us even more reasons to head south to warmer, sunnier weather in just over two weeks. Saturday, Jan. 24 for Barbados and then getting on a 17-day Amazon River cruise.

Have an 8:30 am breakfast this morning and here's a few of my iPhone pictures to give any update and reason for why doing a later January cruise to the Amazon will be smart.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 167,815 views. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

First, is getting ready to go down our steep driveway with the snow-covered trees all around. Second, looking towards our home's screened porch with the lighted Christmas tree shining. Third, down our main, ravine road to head towards my breakfast meeting. Trees look magical with the snow covering Fourth, a look at traffic going down High Street, the main north-south road in town.:

Jan2015AA24_zps02aec2ce.jpg

Jan2015AA25_zps9549c35b.jpg

Jan2015AA26_zps35dfc05d.jpg

Jan2015AA27_zps9cca239f.jpg

Gas price update? Here it is at $1.71.9 this morning in Central Ohio!! How low can things go for a gallon of gas? No complaints here! Finally, arrived at the place for breakfast. It's a French-styled place called La Chatelaine. Here you can see their glass display case with all of the "goodies"!! Look nice?:

Jan2015AA28_zps8c062933.jpg

Jan2015AA29_zpsa506448c.jpg

It's BOTH cold and snowy here in Central Ohio. Most all of the school districts are closed for the day. Lots of traffic slow-downs. Need proof and evidence? Plus, this gives us even more reasons to head south to warmer, sunnier weather in just over two weeks. Saturday, Jan. 24 for Barbados and then getting on a 17-day Amazon River cruise.

Have an 8:30 am breakfast this morning and here's a few of my iPhone pictures to give any update and reason for why doing a later January cruise to the Amazon will be smart.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 167,815 views. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

First, is getting ready to go down our steep driveway with the snow-covered trees all around. Second, looking towards our home's screened porch with the lighted Christmas tree shining. Third, down our main, ravine road to head towards my breakfast meeting. Trees look magical with the snow covering Fourth, a look at traffic going down High Street, the main north-south road in town.:

Jan2015AA24_zps02aec2ce.jpg

Jan2015AA25_zps9549c35b.jpg

Jan2015AA26_zps35dfc05d.jpg

Jan2015AA27_zps9cca239f.jpg

Gas price update? Here it is at $1.71.9 this morning in Central Ohio!! How low can things go for a gallon of gas? No complaints here! Finally, arrived at the place for breakfast. It's a French-styled place called La Chatelaine. Here you can see their glass display case with all of the "goodies"!! Look nice?:

Jan2015AA28_zps8c062933.jpg

Jan2015AA29_zpsa506448c.jpg

Beautiful tree.

We also have snow and high winds.

The lowest our gas was $2.44 about a week ago. Thanks to our governor it will rise anywhere from 10 cents to 15 cents per gallon -- another state law -- to pay for roads. We are at the end of the pipe line so we get the 15 cent hike.

I much rather see the snow in photos than to drive and shovel it. It sure does look pretty. And that pastry and cake display looks so yummy. Thanks for posting the pics, TLCO:Dhio.

Krazy Kruizers: Beautiful tree. We also have snow and high winds. The lowest our gas was $2.44 about a week ago. Thanks to our governor it will rise anywhere from 10 cents to 15 cents per gallon -- another state law -- to pay for roads. We are at the end of the pipe line so we get the 15 cent hike.

Appreciate these two nice follow-ups and comments on the photos' date=' winter snow, gasoline prices, etc. [b']Going to get really cold here tonight[/b] in Central Ohio. It will be nine below F here this evening with a "real feel" of nineteen below. Really cold!! Can't wait till we are enjoying sun and warmth, Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo back-to-back sailing with Silversea Silver Cloud!

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. We are now at 191,653 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Still bummed about this Imgur hosting saga - wish I could get an explanation why CC won't allow it. These are too good not to share so I went back to Google+ for a few:

Hiking this morning:

cactus01.jpg

Not watching where I'm going:

oops01.jpg

Cool when you find little things people put out for some reason or other:

angel01.jpg

Saguaro:

cactus03.jpg

Trying out my shiny new 10-18mm wide angle:

sr03.jpg

Looks like these guys didn't get invited to any New Year's events. Whatever the reason, this pallet of bubbly has another fifty weeks until the next opportunity to serve...unless someone launches a ship.

p14209669-5.jpg

Dave

This was taken yesterday (Saturday), and unfortunately neither the weather nor the eagles were very cooperative with my photographic efforts

P1000329.JPG

Man, the day I get one, let alone 3 bald eagles in a shot - I'll be a happy boy! Great shot, glad you shared it.

Still bummed about this Imgur hosting saga - wish I could get an explanation why CC won't allow it. These are too good not to share so I went back to Google+ for a few:

Hiking this morning:

cactus01.jpg

Not watching where I'm going:

oops01.jpg

Cool when you find little things people put out for some reason or other:

angel01.jpg

Saguaro:

cactus03.jpg

Trying out my shiny new 10-18mm wide angle:

sr03.jpg

Great pictures

Now busy preparing for our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo back-to-back sailing with Silversea. Saturday's "adventure" was going to REI or Recreational Equipment, Inc. They are an interesting national cooperative retailer focused on clothing and equipment to use in a wide range of extreme and more normal outdoor activities, sports, etc. They have two locations here in Columbus, plus a wide-ranging website. Visited all three as a part of our efforts, preparations and research.

We walked in, their staff was very helpful in answering our questions for the unique needs when going to super hot and humid areas such as the Amazon River basin with the added worries on bugs, bites, etc. First key lesson? Avoid cotton!! Need good "wicking". Long sleeves and pant legs can be important . . . with the right materials!! Also learned more about the various Deet-based products, applying them, etc. Great learning experiences!!

And, YES, had to buy some new clothing to take care of these needs and challenges. Some items were on sale, others not. Good news? Rang up more airline frequent flyer points by spending and spending.

Coming home in our ravine area, we ran into real wildlife. See below. There is a herd of eleven deer that had been inside of our fenced backyard area a few days ago. We wondered where they were roaming around on this Saturday. Then, wow, here they were right in front our home as we returned from REI, shopping, etc. I grabbed my iPhone and got a few visuals. Hard for them finding food with the snow and super cold weather. But, they are working at it.

Enjoyed a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 91,904 views for this posting

It was late in the day as we were returning home Saturday and I only had my iPhone handy. But this one picture gives a little sample of the herd of deer in the ravine nearby to our home late in the afternoon. The location is in the middle of this city of 800,000+ people, but we have lots of deer and wildlife here.:

Jan15AA4_zpse2ba73e2.jpg

Some comfort food? Here was last night's fare at the Iron Grill BBQ & Brew, our regular neighborhood place in North Columbus. We did their Sunday night special. First, the salad. Gotta have the greens? Second was the pork loin with mashed potatoes, plus I had an extra helping of gravy added for my flavor needs. Very good!! Only $9.99. Then, the owner brought us out her home-baked apple pie with ice cream. Nice to share dessert for the four of us at our table and it was on the house, too, compliments of the owner. Nice finishing touch!:

Jan15AA13_zpscaa335d7.jpg

Jan15AA20_zps0c5292b0.jpg

Jan15AA15_zpscf3c408c.jpg

Here is something a little different than travel, flower and/or food pictures. Last night after dinner and watching Downton Abbey on PBS, I headed down to our state's historic Statehouse in Columbus, Ohio. It was built 1839-58. Not that old by Europe standards, but it still has had lots of history, famous people passing through, etc.

Exactly at midnight, a new Governor's term starts in our state. This was the more private, official oath of office last evening. This was done in Ohio's State Senate chambers. Then headed to the Governor's ceremonial office that is called the "Lincoln Room". There, the Governor had a smaller group, did a Champagne toast, etc. The bigger, ceremonial oath ceremonies happened today. Now to watch the Ohio State versus Oregon National Championship game.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 168,566 views. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here is the official oath of office ceremony with the Supreme Court Chief Justice on the left. This is in the State Senate chambers last night as the clock was approaching midnight. On the right are the Governor's wife and two daughters.:

Jan15AA16_zpsd2a93c72.jpg

Then, it is a small-group Champagne toast in the Lincoln Room of the Ohio Statehouse. This office and the table in the foreground are where in early 1861 that Abraham Lincoln sat with the Ohio Governor when he was on the way to Washington, DC. At this exact location, the telegraph message came through that the Electoral College and House of Representatives had made official and final that Lincoln had been elected as President. This is the same office that William McKinley used as Governor before he become President. Plus many other Presidents, the famous, etc., have visited here. Lots of history in these types of interesting locations. In the second picture, the guy at the right posing with the Governor and his wife is Mark Kvamme, a former partner at Sequoia Capital, the Silicon Valley venture capital firm involved with Apple, PayPal, etc.:

Jan15AA17_zpsbe6d8a20.jpg

Jan15AA18_zps9bde307b.jpg

Jan15AA19_zps2d00055c.jpg

• 2 months later...