Lots of queen’s grill and q5 grade stateroom questions!

PrincessPete

Hi all, we are from near London andhave booked a 5 night stay in New York over New Year 2017 and then are sailingback on the Transatlantic voyage on Queen Mary 2 on 3 January 2018. We havesailed on the Queen Mary 2 several times, the last being four years ago when wewere upgraded from Princess Grill to a Q5 Queen’s Grill cabin on a round trip NewYork/Caribbean voyage. The experience was so brilliant that we have booked a Q5cabin for this forthcoming trip.

We would be most grateful forresponses to any of the following questions, please:

STATEROOM

A friend told us they thought tea andcoffee making facilities are now in the staterooms. Is that correct? Tea isimportant to us Brits although last time the room service was so efficient it wasdelivered before we would have had time to make it anyway!

The second stateroom question concernsthe settee which, from the brochure pictures, now appears to be placed at thefoot of the bed. From my recollection it was previously against the wallfurthest from the bed and gave a great view looking out over the balcony. Itseems in its new position not to offer such a good view. Any comments? Can thesettee be moved to a different angle to give a clearer view of the sea? Obviouslywe do not expect to be able to spend much (any?) time on the balcony at that timeof year but do like just sitting there looking at the sea.

Finally, I am partial to theoccasional beer – can that be provided in the complimentary minibar as an alternativeto the wine etc mentioned in the brochure? I seem to recall it was no problemlast time.

QUEEN’S GRILL RESTAURANT

We had a great time in the restauranton the last trip and on a couple of occasions the wonderful Maitre D’ Osmanasked us “would you like anything special for dinner tonight” (as if the a lacarte menu itself did not have enough choice of luxury dishes!). Is that kindof service still offered and is the food overall still as amazing?

This may seem a small point but it isimportant to me. Looking at pictures of the refurbished restaurant (which looksmagnificent) I noticed that the chairs do not appear to have arms, unlike thosein the Princess Grill. Having arms on a chair is vital to me due to a back condition needing support from my arms – is it likely they would be able to accommodate that request?

BOAT DRILL

Is the boat drill at New York always heldbefore the ship sails, therefore allowing us to see the Statue of Liberty from thebalcony as we sail by? I would hate to be attending the muster and find we werealready out of sight of land for the next week!

Many thanks for any responses and we willbe most grateful.

Kind regards.

Peter and Beverley

STATEROOM

A friend told us they thought tea andcoffee making facilities are now in the staterooms. Is that correct? Tea isimportant to us Brits although last time the room service was so efficient it wasdelivered before we would have had time to make it anyway!

There is a kettle for boiling water and a capsule-style coffee maker in the Q suites.

The second stateroom question concernsthe settee which, from the brochure pictures, now appears to be placed at thefoot of the bed. From my recollection it was previously against the wallfurthest from the bed and gave a great view looking out over the balcony. Itseems in its new position not to offer such a good view. Any comments? Can thesettee be moved to a different angle to give a clearer view of the sea? Obviouslywe do not expect to be able to spend much (any?) time on the balcony at that timeof year but do like just sitting there looking at the sea.

The new layout ist confirmed. There is, however, a lounge chair with footrest with a view towards the window, and you can ask the Butler if the sofa can be moved a bit.

Finally, I am partial to theoccasional beer – can that be provided in the complimentary minibar as an alternativeto the wine etc mentioned in the brochure? I seem to recall it was no problemlast time.

Normally, in QG, you get what you ask for. Should be no problem.

QUEEN’S GRILL RESTAURANT

We had a great time in the restauranton the last trip and on a couple of occasions the wonderful Maitre D’ Osmanasked us “would you like anything special for dinner tonight” (as if the a lacarte menu itself did not have enough choice of luxury dishes!). Is that kindof service still offered and is the food overall still as amazing?

This may seem a small point but it isimportant to me. Looking at pictures of the refurbished restaurant (which looksmagnificent) I noticed that the chairs do not appear to have arms, unlike thosein the Princess Grill. Having arms on a chair is vital to me due to a back condition needing support from my arms – is it likely they would be able to accommodate that request?

There are chairs with arms, and some without. Ask for an armchair. The service and food is as good as ever, and Osman is still the same.

BOAT DRILL

Is the boat drill at New York always heldbefore the ship sails, therefore allowing us to see the Statue of Liberty from thebalcony as we sail by? I would hate to be attending the muster and find we werealready out of sight of land for the next week!

The Boat drill is always before departure.

Hi all, we are from near London andhave booked a 5 night stay in New York over New Year 2017 and then are sailingback on the Transatlantic voyage on Queen Mary 2 on 3 January 2018. We havesailed on the Queen Mary 2 several times, the last being four years ago when wewere upgraded from Princess Grill to a Q5 Queen’s Grill cabin on a round trip NewYork/Caribbean voyage. The experience was so brilliant that we have booked a Q5cabin for this forthcoming trip.

We would be most grateful forresponses to any of the following questions, please:

STATEROOM

QUEEN’S GRILL RESTAURANT

BOAT DRILL

Kind regards.

Peter and Beverley

Hello Pete & Beverly.

It will probably save me lots of typing to just paste in a link to my blog which recorded a trans Atlantic in a Q5 in December...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2017/01/02/queen-mary-2-remastered-trans-atlantic/

And to answer your question on the suite layout, a photograph is worth a thousand words...

30954435863_c1fd6dcbee_z.jpg

PS. Now that's what i call an upgrade: your previous one that is.

30954435863_c1fd6dcbee_z.jpg

PS. Now that's what i call an upgrade: your previous one that is.

Great photos as always SR!

Unlike the suites on Holland America Koningsdam, it looks as if the designers for QM2 chose to put the sofa(settee) facing the telly instead of under it. Perhaps it can be moved if the OP wanted that.

Cheers!

Thank you so much for the replies to date - and if I may especially thank Richard for those amazing photos, and loved the blog!

May I ask an extra question in the hope someone will see it, rather than opening a new thread - what time is embarkation likely to be for Queens Grill passengers in New York? I believe the ship normally sails at 1600 hours so just wondering how early we can embark.

Many thanks again and kind regards.

Peter

Thank you so much for the replies to date - and if I may especially thank Richard for those amazing photos, and loved the blog!

May I ask an extra question in the hope someone will see it, rather than opening a new thread - what time is embarkation likely to be for Queens Grill passengers in New York? I believe the ship normally sails at 1600 hours so just wondering how early we can embark.

Peter

On New York departures we usually went to Red Hook to arrive at noon, and have always been on board in plenty of time to enjoy lunch in the Queens grill at I think about 2 p.m. On my last couple of boardings it appears that Cunard has become more efficient at boarding, but I suspect it ultimately revolves around when the last departing passenger is off. Boarding in Venice is a sloooooow procedure, but I notice that at airports in Italy too.

Peter

Hi Pete.

As a Queens Grill passenger and, assuming you are going to be as excited as I usually am, I'd arrive no later than 11.30 am.

You will have priority embarkation so make sure you have some form of confirmation handy when you enter the terminal.

BOAT DRILL

Kind regards.

Peter and Beverley

Hi again Pete.

Now if it was me I would be up on the Grills Deck for that sailaway joining in the party and seeing a much better all-round view including the Coast Guard security boats and helicopters and of course that iconic view of Manhattan...

10905620626_4431cc532a_z.jpg

Indeed, I'd stay up on deck to watch her sail under the Verrazano Bridge.

Edited by Solent Richard

Does anyone know if Grills passengers have access to afternoon tea on embarkation day in the lounge?

It depends on whether the ship is "in transit" or not. If it's the start of a new voyage I believe the answer is no. However, on QV in the Mediterranean when multiple voyages overlap, we've found afternoon tea is available on embarkation day.