Lost luggage

burke108

We just had a wonderful cruise on the Gem, NYC Christmas to the Bahamas, but one of our bags went missing. Anyone have experience with NCL and missing bags? We put our bags out the night before for pick-up after disembarking but when we got off the ship one bag was missing. The biggest disapointment is that our formal pictures were in the bag.

No experience with this, but I think you would have had to make a claim at the pier before you left. The people at the baggage claim area should have directed you to the place to report your loss. The airports have an office for this, so I assume the port would have something similar.

So, what were you told when you reported this?

What a horrible way to end a cruise!!! This did happen to our daughter once, but in her case she left it at the curb when we were boarding a taxi. I beleive she contacted NCL as soon as she got home (didn't miss it til then) someone had been kind enough to turn it in. That has been our only experience with lost luggage before or after sailing. I hope you did report it prior to leaving the area.

Nita

Two things to do.

One contact the pier - chances are someone else took your bag by mistake and will be back for their bag.

Manhattan Terminal Main Office

711 12th Avenue

at West 55th Street

New York, NY 10019

email: MCT@nycedc.com

Baggage Information: (212) 641-4477

Contact NCL

Customer Relations/Lost and Found (Post-Cruise)

1.866.625.1164 m-f 9-5:30

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/contactUs.html#6

Thanks for the number of the terminal. I'll call NCL tomorrow. I did fill out a form with NCL at the terminal. The bags probably came off the ship early, we had a suite and VIP debarkation, and I fear that it may have gone to the airport by mistake. Anyone know if NCL returns bags from the airport?

Also, we had a concierge who offered to walk us through debarkation. We didn't do this because we had a late bus pick-up and our concierge suggested that we stay on board until we need to leave. Do you think that it's worth calling him on the ship to see if he noticed anything?

Yep, sure have had experience with this. Same thing happened. Filled out the form and she assured me it was there. I said it isn't. We looked everywhere and our bus was waiting for us outside and the folks of course were angry at us for waiting but we had to fill out the report and it was hard to track someone down to do this. Then she said that if someone took it they will bring it back to get theirs. Yeah, sure, whatever. Still waiting.

Anyway, that phone number on the top of the claim report does not work.

My luggage went missing getting off the ship on 12/9 and its 12/30 and no luggage still. I wish you better luck as that one had all the good stuff like my better clothes and gifts and souvenirs and my dailies. This has never happened before and then my last piece of luggage did not make it onto the many plane changes but they found it and I did get that a few days later, but still waiting on the big one.

I wonder - if someone took the wrong bag by mistake, and then decided it was too much trouble to return it, that could be one reason the bag never shows up again. Maybe the person feared if they did return the bag they would not get theirs back and would be out one piece of luggage, so better to keep the bird in the hand.

Of course, that would be a very thoughtless individual, but I bet it does happen.

I wonder - if someone took the wrong bag by mistake, and then decided it was too much trouble to return it, that could be one reason the bag never shows up again. Maybe the person feared if they did return the bag they would not get theirs back and would be out one piece of luggage, so better to keep the bird in the hand.

Of course, that would be a very thoughtless individual, but I bet it does happen.

Yes, I thought of that also and wondered what excuse they would use to go back and get theirs as to why they had no luggage to return? Why wouldn't NCL question this and why would they just hand it over to the person when they came empty handed.

All I can say to that person is Karma is around and what goes around comes around. I cannot imagine doing that to someone.

Thats Great Burke108!!!

Will keep my fingers crossed for you cruisinAgain:)

Did you have insurance that covers lost luggage? not that it can replace your personal items. I only ask because iI now think it might be a good idea for us to purchase for our Febuary cruise.

We did not have insurance but I'm pretty sure that my home owner's policy would have covered some of it. Check yours first before you buy the cruise insurance if your only concern is lost luggage. Plus, I think it is very rare to lose luggage from a ship. I know others would disagree, but I don't think the travel insurance is worth it unless you have elderly or sick folks traveling with you. In that case the risk of canceling or having to transport off ship is well worth the cost of the insurance. I know because my mother-in-law was covered when she had to be air lifted from a Princess cruise.

We did not have insurance but I'm pretty sure that my home owner's policy would have covered some of it. Check yours first before you buy the cruise insurance if your only concern is lost luggage. Plus, I think it is very rare to lose luggage from a ship. I know others would disagree, but I don't think the travel insurance is worth it unless you have elderly or sick folks traveling with you. In that case the risk of canceling or having to transport off ship is well worth the cost of the insurance. I know because my mother-in-law was covered when she had to be air lifted from a Princess cruise.

Sorry to hear about your Mother in law hope everything went ok.

I did buy insurance on my last two cruises I will look into it again, You never know:)

Yes, thanks folks for remembering me and thank goodness burke108 got their luggage back or enroute. I did take out insurance thank goodness. After what I saw on this cruise so unexpectantly with all the evacuations due to the Norovirus (guess it hit some really hard for that) and then this lost of luggage I will always continue to take out the insurance since you never know when it will be needed.

Archived