Leaving soon for Rome & 10 nights on Divina. Any tips...

Stockjock

I tend to pack heavy. What do I need for 10 nights on Divina and a couple nights in Rome? Is it humid there? Are mosquitoes an issue?

I've only been to Europe once, and I'm told that shorts and such are not very common, or not as common as in the USA. True?

Never been on MSC, and I'm a bit nervous by the negative reviews, although my GF and I are pretty easy-going and can usually have a good time no matter what.

Any other thoughts or suggestions? We have a balcony cabin on the 13th deck and we're very much looking forward to this cruise. I work for a major Wall Street firm and am definitely ready for a getaway, given recent market volatility.

Thanks in advance!

Hi. You don't say when you are sailing but the forecast to the end of September is very good with temps in the mid to high 20s. I can't speak to humidity. Haven't heard of a mozzie problem in Rome but there may be some.

Shorts and sandals are very common, on and off ship. Just remember, churches in Italy may insist on long pants, covered shoulders etc. Many provide shawls for ladies to cover up.

MSC Divina is a beautiful ship. Balcony rooms are very nice. I highly recommend the Allegrissimo package if you like a drink. MSC is not as 'in your face' as Royal Caribbean or NCL, more relaxed service. They prefer you order your drink through a waiter/tress so you may have to wait at busy times. No cold towels or drinks on return to the ship on a hot afternoon!

Food was very good, in my opinion, as a beef eater but DW was not impressed with the fish. The buffet is quite good and folks rave about the pizza! Ethnic corner is usually quite good.

Entertainment is excellent in the main shows. Around the ship, there are usually trios and duets with dancing in one or two places. Sundecks get crowded with chair hogs at large as on other lines.

Overall, MSC provides a very affordable product with just a few compromises over the larger lines. Go with an open mind and you might be pleasantly surprised. Do not take very negative reviews too seriously.

Edited by CruiseIreland

Thank you for the reply. I've seen several people mention the Allegrissimo drink package, but I believe it's $35 per day. So we're talking over $700 per couple for 10 days. Isn't that a bit pricey?

I paid $456 for 8 days on Carnival for one person.

The Divina is a beautiful ship. I felt the MDR food was OK, but the buffet (surprisingly) was quite good, and that is where we ate most of our meals. We also ate a LOT of the pizza from the buffet, and once bought our own pizza at the little Italian place, which was a nice, quiet place to hang out and enjoy a drink or two.

Enjoy your trip. I would love to go back on the Divina.

The Divina is a beautiful ship. I felt the MDR food was OK, but the buffet (surprisingly) was quite good, and that is where we ate most of our meals. We also ate a LOT of the pizza from the buffet, and once bought our own pizza at the little Italian place, which was a nice, quiet place to hang out and enjoy a drink or two.

Enjoy your trip. I would love to go back on the Divina.

Yes, the pizza was excellent in both places. Tough decision to make for dinner....free pizza in buffet or spend a little extra and get the best pizza on the ship.

Is it true that pizza through room service is free also?

No, there is a charge unless you're in YC. I think it's about €7. I don't eat pizza which is why I don't know the price. DH loves what's on offer in the buffet and is happy to go there to get some. There is a 'pyramid' shaped card in the cabin which has the info about room service pizza displayed.

As other posters have said, you can get Eataly pizza in the wine bar for a fee - prices range from €5.50 for Marinara, €6 for La Margherita Originale, to €10.50 for La Bianca Con Cotto San Giovanni and La Bianca Con Crudo Di Parma E Rucola. There is also One Metre of Pizza €18. I took a photo of the list last week on Divina. It's not good enough to upload here, though.

Thank you for the reply. I've seen several people mention the Allegrissimo drink package, but I believe it's $35 per day. So we're talking over $700 per couple for 10 days. Isn't that a bit pricey?

It depends on the itinerary. In some regions the drinks package is Allegrissimo @ €26, whereas in the Caribbean, South America and eastbound TAs it's known as More For Less @ $35. In fact, on my TA from Brazil it was even dearer! You can see the different pricings and which regions each of the drinks packages relates to on the MSC website.

In your case it will be Allegrissimo @ €26. If you wait 'til boarding to purchase it, there'll be a 15% SC added. At current exchange rates that may still work out a fraction cheaper than prepaying in $$ beforehand. The € has gotten a little stronger recently - had you purchased some Euros when it was weak you'd have done even better!

Edited by Beamafar

I added the package. What was interested was that when I called MSC USA, they quoted me $35 per person per day ($700 total for 10 days). Looked on their website and yes, sure enough $35 per person per day.

But...I sniffed around a bit and found a way to add it to my cart (pay in Euro on the ship later) for 26 Euro per day.

At today's exchange rate, that's $700 if you pay in USD now, or $587 if you pay in Euro on board. A difference of $113 USD, which is substantial.

Edited by Stockjock

I added the package. What was interested was that when I called MSC USA, they quoted me $35 per person per day ($700 total for 10 days). Looked on their website and yes, sure enough $35 per person per day.

But...I sniffed around a bit and found a way to add it to my cart (pay in Euro on the ship later) for 26 Euro per day.

At today's exchange rate, that's $700 if you pay in USD now, or $587 if you pay in Euro on board. A difference of $113 USD, which is substantial.

I didn't find it that way, but I just decided tonight to buckle down and pay for Sorrento ahead of time and the Allegrissimo Carnet card 18 drinks for $84. I'll likely wait to add the laundry package because they want $32 for 25 euros, which is more!

I didn't find it that way, but I just decided tonight to buckle down and pay for Sorrento ahead of time and the Allegrissimo Carnet card 18 drinks for $84. I'll likely wait to add the laundry package because they want $32 for 25 euros, which is more!

18 drinks for $84 isn't half bad.