Cape liberty construction problem ???

FIRELT5

Sounds like a simple failure of communication that will ultimately be a minor issue (the pavers will all be reinstalled). I guess it's not too surprising considering all of the problems the Port Authority is having lately!

How was the city of Bayonne not aware that there is construction going on? Doesn't the PA have to submit plans and get building permits from Bayonne? And doesn't Bayonne have to monitor and inspect all the various stages of construction?

When they first announced the plans I was wondering how they were going to get the plans approved and start construction within a few months time.

Tell you what Dave.... How about we "dig" one of your deceased loved ones out of their grave... Don't worry we'll put them back in a few months. For some of us this is hitting a little close to home.

Uhm, No.

These aren't grave sites that they are digging up and placing back. They are brick pavers that have messages from family/friends and some with the names of the victims. I'm sure if they could leave them undisturbed they would, but apparently they must be moved while construction is being done.

They are worried about families coming to look for a certain brick and it being temporarily removed, not pay respects to an actual grave. No construction would ever exhume a body to build on land, let alone a 9/11 victim in New York.

Edited by hitaway4

The pavers aren't just for those that died on 9/11. I used to live in Bayonne and anyone could purchase a paver. We have one in memory of all those who passed away in our family. It wouldn't bother me if it had to be moved while they are building the new terminal. What they will probably do is just find a new location for them. From the pictures it looks like just a small percentage of them will have to be relocated, and I'm sure they will notify the families of the new location.

We had something similar where I live at the Jersey Shore. They a program when you could purchase a plaque for a bench at the boardwalk. They were all destroyed with Sandy and there is no word of them being replaced.

They also did the same think in my church, they had memorial plaques on all the pews. When they were remodeling the had to temporarily remove the plaques. No one that I know of complained.

The pavers aren't just for those that died on 9/11. I used to live in Bayonne and anyone could purchase a paver. We have one in memory of all those who passed away in our family. It wouldn't bother me if it had to be moved while they are building the new terminal. What they will probably do is just find a new location for them. From the pictures it looks like just a small percentage of them will have to be relocated, and I'm sure they will notify the families of the new location.

We had something similar where I live at the Jersey Shore. They a program when you could purchase a plaque for a bench at the boardwalk. They were all destroyed with Sandy and there is no word of them being replaced.

They also did the same think in my church, they had memorial plaques on all the pews. When they were remodeling the had to temporarily remove the plaques. No one that I know of complained.

I think that the issue is that some people are more emotional than others and that those close to the Terminal Plan could have been more sensitive to the sentiment of those that had purchased those. A better communication plan would have gone a long way.

While I am not affected by this, I do think it's important to be more sensitive and considerate of those families affected.

Tell you what Dave.... How about we "dig" one of your deceased loved ones out of their grave... Don't worry we'll put them back in a few months. For some of us this is hitting a little close to home.

Uhm, No.

These aren't grave sites that they are digging up and placing back. They are brick pavers that have messages from family/friends and some with the names of the victims. I'm sure if they could leave them undisturbed they would, but apparently they must be moved while construction is being done.

They are worried about families coming to look for a certain brick and it being temporarily removed, not pay respects to an actual grave. No construction would ever exhume a body to build on land, let alone a 9/11 victim in New York.

Right. I completely respect the emotion that this issue conjures up and by no means seek to minimize that, but comparing temporarily moving brick pavers -- which aren't going anywhere and are going to be put right back in place to digging up bodies? I think you've taken it a little too far. Might I suggest writing to the Port Authority or City of Bayonne if you feel so strongly about this issue? Flaming people on internet message boards won't accomplish anything.

Just my opinion, and reasonable people can disagree even on emotionally charged issues. There's no need to call people "idiots" as another poster did below you.

Edited by Dave85

Not a big deal Dave... Sorry about the "flame". I think I took exception to the "minor issue" part when I read the post, I don't think you meant it the way I took it. Directed at Hitaway4.... what grave sites are we reffering to.... do you think the physical remains of many of our loved ones were recovered???? that is why we have a ground zero memorial. For some of us this is our memorial in Bayonne. Either way the problem was the lack of information to those of us affected by this, it feels like a desecration of what we have and hold in some reverence, again similar to the ground zero memorial. I realize that the construction will take place (and a good thing too) but the lack of disclosure about the memorial is what is a little upsetting to some of us.

Not a big deal Dave... Sorry about the "flame". I think I took exception to the "minor issue" part when I read the post, I don't think you meant it the way I took it. Directed at Hitaway4.... what grave sites are we reffering to.... do you think the physical remains of many of our loved ones were recovered???? that is why we have a ground zero memorial. For some of us this is our memorial in Bayonne. Either way the problem was the lack of information to those of us affected by this, it feels like a desecration of what we have and hold in some reverence, again similar to the ground zero memorial. I realize that the construction will take place (and a good thing too) but the lack of disclosure about the memorial is what is a little upsetting to some of us.

Definitely didn't mean it that way, sorry for any offense. I wholeheartedly agree that they should have been more up front about their plans for the development so that there were no unfortunate surprises.