House Fire Cruise Cancelled

gnorris51

Dear Folks on the July 8th QE2 cruise.

We enjoyed very much all the back and forth about the upcoming cruise. unfortunately lightening struck our house and its not habitable for three to six months - we were able to evacuate safely and save our dogs so nothing else really matters. Anyway just want to thank everyone who gave us info and ideas and we really hope you guys all have a wonderful cruise. Maybe we will be able to go another time.

Warmest Regards

The Murphys

Sorry to hear of your catastrophe. However, I'm glad that you and the dogs are ok.

Who knows, you might even manage to fit in QE2 before she goes if all goes well with your domestic recovery.

David

Dear Folks on the July 8th QE2 cruise.

We enjoyed very much all the back and forth about the upcoming cruise. unfortunately lightening struck our house and its not habitable for three to six months - we were able to evacuate safely and save our dogs so nothing else really matters. Anyway just want to thank everyone who gave us info and ideas and we really hope you guys all have a wonderful cruise. Maybe we will be able to go another time.

Warmest Regards

The Murphys

My condolances for your loss. Are you by any chance the J & J Murphy Antiques folks formerly of Ct. and TV fame and fortune?

So sorry to hear of your awful bad luck, As you say, at least you and the dogs are ok. What a shock for you. I do sincerely hope that everything is restored and repaired as well as possible but I suppose some things cant be replaced.

There will always be another cruise though and I hope we meet up on it. We`ll drink a toast to you on this one!

Wow! That must have been awfully scary. So glad to hear that the family is safe and sorry you need to cancel your trip. And I also hope that the house gets fixed even sooner than anticipated. Good luck!

Let me add my sympathies and best wishes for a quick "recovery." That is a horrible thing to go through.

I am sure that you will find a purpose somewhere down the road. I always try to believe that everything happens for a reason. Perhaps just knowing how valuable your family and pets are to you- more than any ""things" that were in the house. Close calls can give you a fresh look at what is really important. I am cruising and on Cunard today because I almost died a number of years ago. I wish you every blessing that life can possibly bestow upon you. You are surrounded by love. (From all of us)

Karie,

who cannot think how she would cope with such a scare and the subsequent losses.

Let me add my sympathies and best wishes for a quick "recovery." That is a horrible thing to go through.

I am sure that you will find a purpose somewhere down the road. I always try to believe that everything happens for a reason. Perhaps just knowing how valuable your family and pets are to you- more than any ""things" that were in the house. Close calls can give you a fresh look at what is really important. I am cruising and on Cunard today because I almost died a number of years ago. I wish you every blessing that life can possibly bestow upon you. You are surrounded by love. (From all of us)

Karie,

who cannot think how she would cope with such a scare and the subsequent losses.

karie,

how close did you come to almost dying?

glenn.

Dear Murphy family: I am sorry to hear of your loss. I am glad that you and your pets escaped safely, and I hope that each month will be easier to cope. (((Cyberhugs))) are being sent your way.

karie,

how close did you come to almost dying?

glenn.

I was in the ambulance. They started towards the hospital. They stopped and said, "You're not going to make it. We're taking you to (hospital Y)" Which was closer. My Doctor was waiting at the ER for hospital X, and Marc was on his way there. When they got me to hospital Y, the ER folks said, "Good thing you brought her here, She wouldn't have made it." They spent the entire night trying to stabilize me. O2, theophyline drip, solumedrol, and who knows what all. Finally decided to take me up to a floor and intubate me. I was on a respirator for a couple of days, IV drips, tons of Sol-u-medrol (Prednisone drip) until I could breathe on my own. Diagnosis was "complete Respiratory failure." Biggest concern was heart failure. No oxygen getting to muscles. (the heart is a muscle. it needs o be oxygenated to function) I was getting plenty in, but my body could not use it. Could not exchange blood gases (release CO2, absorb O2) Tests while in the hospital, btw, proved that I had irreversible damage from smoking. Ironic. I only smoked a total of 9 years.

When I was finally able to go back to work, a friend had just returned from a cruise (on one of the smaller Cunard Crown ships. Was showing her pictures. I started to say, "I always wanted to do that, but couldn't afford..." Light goes on. "Life could be short. What are you waiting for?" We've cruised pretty much every year since. Even when money was practically non-existent, (1 month on strike, so no income, everything was breaking down- transmission, well pump, etc) That year we scrimped and saved and took a 4 day Carnival.(ugh)

The rest, as they say, is history. That first cruise, btw, was on Cunard Crown Jewel. 7 day Caribbean.

Case closed!

(The other major apocryphal moment in my life- life changing- was when I crashed an airplane- Decided Gosh, Life could be short. Do I really want to live it the way I am? Got divorced, learned to skydive, met Marc, etc.

Karie,

who has done some amazing things. all you have to do is to want to do it!

Go for it!

... unfortunately lightening struck our house and its not habitable for three to six months - we were able to evacuate safely and save our dogs so nothing else really matters...

Good to hear that you are all well (Cunard fans aren't all that common you know, so take care). With a fair insurance settlement and an efficient builder, perhaps you will be able to spend those three months on a world cruise. Hope so.

Paul

I was in the ambulance. They started towards the hospital. They stopped and said, "You're not going to make it. We're taking you to (hospital Y)" Which was closer. My Doctor was waiting at the ER for hospital X, and Marc was on his way there. When they got me to hospital Y, the ER folks said, "Good thing you brought her here, She wouldn't have made it." They spent the entire night trying to stabilize me. O2, theophyline drip, solumedrol, and who knows what all. Finally decided to take me up to a floor and intubate me. I was on a respirator for a couple of days, IV drips, tons of Sol-u-medrol (Prednisone drip) until I could breathe on my own. Diagnosis was "complete Respiratory failure." Biggest concern was heart failure. No oxygen getting to muscles. (the heart is a muscle. it needs o be oxygenated to function) I was getting plenty in, but my body could not use it. Could not exchange blood gases (release CO2, absorb O2) Tests while in the hospital, btw, proved that I had irreversible damage from smoking. Ironic. I only smoked a total of 9 years.

When I was finally able to go back to work, a friend had just returned from a cruise (on one of the smaller Cunard Crown ships. Was showing her pictures. I started to say, "I always wanted to do that, but couldn't afford..." Light goes on. "Life could be short. What are you waiting for?" We've cruised pretty much every year since. Even when money was practically non-existent, (1 month on strike, so no income, everything was breaking down- transmission, well pump, etc) That year we scrimped and saved and took a 4 day Carnival.(ugh)

The rest, as they say, is history. That first cruise, btw, was on Cunard Crown Jewel. 7 day Caribbean.

Case closed!

(The other major apocryphal moment in my life- life changing- was when I crashed an airplane- Decided Gosh, Life could be short. Do I really want to live it the way I am? Got divorced, learned to skydive, met Marc, etc.

Karie,

who has done some amazing things. all you have to do is to want to do it!

Go for it!

i thought it must be close by the way you usually write.

you seem to live life to the full and don't have a bad word to say about anyone except when we get a bit snobby.

i admire you,

glenn x

To the Murphy's. So sorry to hear of your 'Lightning Strike' Glad you and the dogs are fine. This is the place for making friends in cyberspace who really care what happens to you. I'm sure everyone wishes you well

Coolgran

i thought it must be close by the way you usually write.

you seem to live life to the full and don't have a bad word to say about anyone except when we get a bit snobby.

i admire you,

glenn x

Aw, Gee, shucks.:o

Thank you, Glenn!

Karie,

who is blushing as she types. I'm not used to people admiring me!

Dear Friends, and we do think of you as friends

All of your good wishes have made us very humble. To think just a casual forum could bring forth such care and concern. You are all very special. It has been a difficult time, standing on the sidewalk and seeing your house burn is hard but we were indeed blessed not only by safely getting out but by the support and good wishes of people like all of you. We will indeed plan to sail on the QE2 before she leaves Cunard. It has always been my dream and was to be a birthday present from Jim. Instead of celebrating on Crete that day we instead will celebrate wherever raising a glass to so many who have expressed their concern and support.

We are very very grateful for your kind words - each of them is special to us.

warmest regards,

Genie and Jim

Dear Friends, and we do think of you as friends

All of your good wishes have made us very humble. To think just a casual forum could bring forth such care and concern. You are all very special. It has been a difficult time, standing on the sidewalk and seeing your house burn is hard but we were indeed blessed not only by safely getting out but by the support and good wishes of people like all of you. We will indeed plan to sail on the QE2 before she leaves Cunard. It has always been my dream and was to be a birthday present from Jim. Instead of celebrating on Crete that day we instead will celebrate wherever raising a glass to so many who have expressed their concern and support.

We are very very grateful for your kind words - each of them is special to us.

warmest regards,

Genie and Jim

What a delightful attitude.

I wish Jim the most meaningful birthday ever.

And quick repairs/replacement.

Just think of the things you've said over the years... GE I wish we had done this this way- House design. Placement of light switches, type of flooring, etc. I know I have,. Although this is a tough way to re-design.

Good luck

Karie,

whose heart cries for you.

Genie and Jim

I have been away from the boards for a few days. So sorry to hear about your tragic fire but relieved to know to that no one was injured. I sincerely hope that you can rescedule your QE2 trip. Do keep us posted. My best wishes to both of you as you start to rebuild your lives and your home.

Beth

I'm so sorry to hear of your fire and cancelling the cruise. Just imagine what would have happened if you had been on your cruise at that time.

Hopefully you were able to save what you could.

Did you have cruise insurance?

Since the house is not habitable you should book another cruise after you get the workers started.

Archived