Best Beach on this Itinerary

JohnHall1965

I suspect that you may be on the wrong cruise.

Beach vendors are pretty much a way of life in Mexico. The vendors work hard to make a living.

Other than finding an excursion that will deliver you to a deserted area, you will most likely be afforded the pleasure of viewing the treasures (and not so much treasures) of the locals.

As for being "bothered" every 30 seconds...that might be an exaggeration, but yes, they do exist.

Personally, my Bride and I very much enjoy them.

Too, you can always stay aboard ship, and enjoy a mostly empty ship.

Beach vendors in Mexico? Say it isn't so :). So here is the reality (based on living a few months a year in Mexico). Beach vendors and hustlers are a way of life. Personally, I can say "No Gracias" in my sleep. When reading a book on the beach in Puerto Vallarta (where we live in the winter) I mumble "no gracias" more then a dozen times a day without even losing my place or train of thought. On the other hand, these vendors can be fun if you engage. In our country folks simply expect the government to support them....but in Mexico folks have to scramble to make a living. Beach Vendors are people too, and many of them are actually interesting and nice amigos.

About the only way to completely escape beach vendors is to find a private beach...which is very difficult in Mexico since nearly all beaches are public. In Puerto Vallarta (which does not have impressive beaches) a cruiser can take the Las Caletas tour which takes you to a private enclave (leased by Vallarta Adventures) which will get you away from the vendors....and arguably also away from the real Mexico. Las Caletas is the perfect tour for those that want to enjoy "make believe" Mexico and a wonderful make believe setting. Cabo also has some excellent beaches, but one must be prepared to travel a distance from the port to places like Chileno Beach or perhaps take a boat out to Lovers Beach.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

You can buy a daypass in Puerto Vallarta for some hotels like Krystal, Marriott, Hyatt (see older postings for details) and use their pool and beach. Vendors are officially not allowed there, but of course some will come and try to sell their stuff.

A simple no gracias will do.

Edited by Ine

Many folks are repulsed by Beach Vendors. They are easily handled, yet prey on intimidated cruiser beach goers. To most of us, they are part of the people watching show, easily handled (do not look at them or their items, wait till they are near and approach, a quick POLITE FIRM SOFT SPOKEN "gracias, no", then look away and don't look back. We advanced folks look at their items, and then from a distance, once eye contact is made, a negative shake of the hand, and stop looking at their items. The worse thing you can do is nervously buy something thinking that they will stop. They will circle like vultures and prey on your fear of them, in their mind, help you to overcome your fears of them and provide you with their terrific items (Mexican people are actually very kind and love bing helpfull)

La Paz - Playa La Tecolote - 5 miles opposite diretion from town (skip town, no bueno) here => https://www.google.com/maps/place/Club+de+Playa+el+Tecolote/@24.3363844,-110.3167382,283m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x86b02b5ae044086d:0x83588a463749438e!6m1!1e1?hl=en

Cabo - water taxi to Medano Beach ($3+ each way, plus $1 pier use ticket - keep ticket for return)

PV - $6 taxi to Malecon, beautiful 1/2 mile walk to Los Muertos beach (or $10 taxi ride). Stop on your Malecon walk at Oceano Bar (next door to Cheeky Monkey, $1 beers, $1 giant Margs, $3 giant home made basket of chips w/a large salsa bowl, beautiful upper level ocean and Malacon Views.... Then 5 PM LOCAL TIME (ships time is usually 1 - 2 hours earlier), $4 taxi ride up to 2:1 happy hour at Casa Isabel (google it, a !!! WOW !!! place)

Edited by bobnsofi

• 2 weeks later...
I suspect that you may be on the wrong cruise.

Beach vendors are pretty much a way of life in Mexico. The vendors work hard to make a living.

Other than finding an excursion that will deliver you to a deserted area, you will most likely be afforded the pleasure of viewing the treasures (and not so much treasures) of the locals.

As for being "bothered" every 30 seconds...that might be an exaggeration, but yes, they do exist.

Personally, my Bride and I very much enjoy them.

Too, you can always stay aboard ship, and enjoy a mostly empty ship.

Well I can tell you that we went to Mazatlan and paid for a private beach experience from a resort and the locals were lined up and that was no exaggeration to sell us useless trinkets . We stayed only about an hour and told no less than a hundred locals we were not interested

Thank you all for the reply's ! We did a 7 Mex Riviera on RCCL and had a really bad experience in Mazatlan on a "private" beach we paid for . So you understand where the question came from . We are just looking for a nice quite beach to sit on , Thanks