Insulin and flying to cruise

rjack22

This will be my first time flying since I have been on insulin pens.

What do I do with my pens when going through security? Do I have to take them out of my carry on and put it in the basket? I have no other liquids so I will not have a quart zip lock bag. I'd like to just leave the box of pens in my carry on but I have no experience with this.

Can anyone advise me on what to expect?

You don't have to take them out of your carryon. Shouldn't be a problem.

A side note...you can bring a bottle of water through security, place it on the belt, and when it is scanned tell them that you are diabetic. You have a right to have the water. They may rub it down with explosive detecting paper or ask you to drink some. Sometimes they do, sometimes not.

M.

The only time I have ever been asked anything about diabetic medications, either with syringe or in pen form, is by one TSA agent who asked me how happy I was with Victoza. Also, read your print outs very carefully, most pens or vials do not need medication if used in 30 days or less.

And (this is very helpful) many airlines offer sharps containers that look like over sized test tubes. Safe disposal of syringes, needles and lancets have always been a problem and these are very helpful. I usually beg an additional sharps container from a flight attendant to take with me on shore excursions.

This will be my first time flying since I have been on insulin pens.

What do I do with my pens when going through security? Do I have to take them out of my carry on and put it in the basket? I have no other liquids so I will not have a quart zip lock bag. I'd like to just leave the box of pens in my carry on but I have no experience with this.

Can anyone advise me on what to expect?

As with any injectable medication, it's a good idea to keep a letter from a physician (on letterhead), stating that the med is "medically necessary". There is no need to give a diagnosis or any confidential personal information.

And keep the pharmacy label, either attached, or if it's been separated, then just keep it with you.

And although you don't need to "show" the meds (the way one does for the small liquids), it's a good idea to keep it near the top, so you can easily get to it if asked, without needing to rummage through the full contents of the carry on or purse/etc.

It's just easier to "be prepared", and to make any explanations (or searches) as easy as possible.

GeezerCouple

The only time I have ever been asked anything about diabetic medications, either with syringe or in pen form, is by one TSA agent who asked me how happy I was with Victoza. Also, read your print outs very carefully, most pens or vials do not need medication if used in 30 days or less.

And (this is very helpful) many airlines offer sharps containers that look like over sized test tubes. Safe disposal of syringes, needles and lancets have always been a problem and these are very helpful. I usually beg an additional sharps container from a flight attendant to take with me on shore excursions.

This is good to know, about the little sharps container.

Thanks.

I'll ask next time, even if we don't need to use it right then.

This will be so much easier for general travel.

How would one dispose of this if at a hotel, or even on the plane?

Do you give it to the flight attendant for disposal?

And in a hotel, would one make special note to give it to housekeeping?

Our physician uses needles that have a cap such that it isn't pulled off. It slips open sort of diagonally, and after use, the top snaps back on and cannot be opened again. (Well, not by accident, which is the - oooh NO pun intended - point !!)

I just can't get them at any pharmacy. YET. Some pharmacy somewhere should be able to order these.

Very frustrating.

GeezerCouple

My sister uses syringes with needles. She uses a device called a Needle Clipper to get rid of her needles. You can get them at Walgreens in the area where diabetes monitors are found.

The needle clipper safely takes off the needle and puts it into an area of the clipper device where you can't get to it. It is very safe. Once the needle is clipped, you can just toss the syringe in the trash. The needle clipper holds about 1500 clipped needles, and costs about $5. Its very small, about 1" by 3-1/2"/

You can also purchase this device online, but you have to pay shipping then.

M.

My sister uses syringes with needles. She uses a device called a Needle Clipper to get rid of her needles. You can get them at Walgreens in the area where diabetes monitors are found.

The needle clipper safely takes off the needle and puts it into an area of the clipper device where you can't get to it. It is very safe. Once the needle is clipped, you can just toss the syringe in the trash. The needle clipper holds about 1500 clipped needles, and costs about $5. Its very small, about 1" by 3-1/2"/

M.

Thanks.

I'll take a look for this.

GeezerCouple

My pen is good for a month's usage, but requires a new needle for each use. I can recap the needle, but I sure wouldn't want to carry around a bag full of recapped needles when the solution was as easy as asking the room steward for a sharps container.

When I am in a restaurant or elsewhere, I carry a small pill container and place the used, capped needle in the pill container until I get home. I do the same thing until I get to my cabin if I am on shipboard.

Some airports and other public restrooms have sharps disposal systems on the wall of their restrooms near the sinks, as well.

M.

Needles from pens cannot be accessed after the pen has been used. I would think you could even just bring them back home to dispose. I take Enbrel in a pen and plan to bring my empty pens back home with me to my Sharps container.

• 2 weeks later...

M.

Hi all

As this device contains biohazard, please dispose of it responsibly. (just a bit of additional info to that Mindy has posted)

They are very easy and safe to use especially where it can be a bit difficult to get rid of needles such as aircraft.

https://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page.aspx?cat=7002&id=7416

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

Most airport rest rooms have sharps containers. Almost any hotel will supply one on request. (Some of the real budget ones might not) Even some airplane lavatories have sharps containers.

You don't need a doctors note for insulin, and TSA doesn't have the right to ask for one anyhow. They are not law enforcement. Even traveling to most foreign countries, you don't need a letter for insulin pens or vials to use in a pump, although if you are still using syringes it's a good idea to have one.