Katakolon Train

BNguy

While I've read countless messages on the train between Katakolon and Olympia, they have all been for previous years. I will be visiting THIS year and I'd like to know from anyone who has visited THIS year. Does the train still operate, is the schedule dependent on the number of ships in for the day, what is the current fare and finally is there any confirmation that it will still be running in October? I ask all this stuff because as you might know, there is little information on line regarding this train.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide, and again, I'm looking for experiences from THIS year.

• 2 weeks later...
While I've read countless messages on the train between Katakolon and Olympia, they have all been for previous years. I will be visiting THIS year and I'd like to know from anyone who has visited THIS year. Does the train still operate, is the schedule dependent on the number of ships in for the day, what is the current fare and finally is there any confirmation that it will still be running in October? I ask all this stuff because as you might know, there is little information on line regarding this train.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide, and again, I'm looking for experiences from THIS year.

These are my exact questions! We're going in August, but with the lack of info, I'm reluctantly researching alternatives which means I probably won't be able to give you feedback even after being there.

These are my exact questions! We're going in August, but with the lack of info, I'm reluctantly researching alternatives which means I probably won't be able to give you feedback even after being there.

Just got back from the Med cruise. There is NO train to Olympia!!! My brother in law even said there was rust on the tracks! There are plenty of taxis outside the port but beware, it is a long walk from the port to the town. We decided not to go into Olympia as we had seen enough of touring by that time. If you enjoy the town, there's a great place to get a gyro on the backside of the street (there's only one street in the town)Enjoy!

• 1 month later...

Georges limos will take you wherever you want to go, great drivers and great price providing you have four or more pax. He took us to a great place for lunch, probably his brothers restaurant !!!! Book on line via his website. Meets you at the pier, air conned Mercedes or Beemers .

If you are trying to get from Katakolon to Olympia, I can't recommend highly enough Olympic Tours and their "On board guided tour" http://www.olympictours.gr/shore-excursions/joined-shore-excursions/katakolon-olympia/item/124-on-board-guided-tour

We did this last year and it was fantastic. 20 euro RT for a fully narrated tour up and back to Olympia on a comfy bus. The tourguide (Niki Vlachou) is recommended by Rick Steves and has a great breadth and depth of knowledge. They offer the full day tour at 65 euro, that takes you through the Olympia site, etc. but if you go up and back then you get to learn about the area, and ask questions, but tour Olympia on your own. We loved this option - affordable, but with some guidance and an expert available to ask questions on the way there and back.

to MossTravelTV for checking on the website. It had not been updated since 2011 and I see has now been updated on 7/26/14. As to the schedule for the train, if one scrolls down to the bottom of the page, there is a schedule for days a cruise ship is in town and it further states there will be a representative from the train at the port area to assist those who wish to take the train. I will be there in October and will report what I find.

Thanks again for helping out

• 6 months later...
to MossTravelTV for checking on the website. It had not been updated since 2011 and I see has now been updated on 7/26/14. As to the schedule for the train, if one scrolls down to the bottom of the page, there is a schedule for days a cruise ship is in town and it further states there will be a representative from the train at the port area to assist those who wish to take the train. I will be there in October and will report what I find.

Thanks again for helping out

BNguy, were you able to take the train? You never replied about your experience in Katakolon.