Klaipeda - Missile or Curonian Spit Tour

We will be stopping in Klaipeda in early August on the Serenade of the Seas. Trying to decide if it's worth doing one of the excursions or just have a short day in port. The tours I'm considering are one to a former Soviet Missile site and one to the Curonian Spit. I've seen large sand dunes on beaches before so I'm not sure if the Curonian spit will offer anything unique. The missile tour seems interesting but it seems like a long drive there and back. Any experiences with recent tours or suggestions would be appreciated.

We will be stopping in Klaipeda in early August on the Serenade of the Seas. Trying to decide if it's worth doing one of the excursions or just have a short day in port. The tours I'm considering are one to a former Soviet Missile site and one to the Curonian Spit. I've seen large sand dunes on beaches before so I'm not sure if the Curonian spit will offer anything unique. The missile tour seems interesting but it seems like a long drive there and back. Any experiences with recent tours or suggestions would be appreciated.

We will be visiting Klaipeda in August on the Vision and have booked the Soviet Missile Site tour. Reviews of the tour have been very good. The Cold War is a unique period in recent history and this tour should provide some interesting insight. I know it's some distance from the port, but it also includes a Lithuanian meal and views of the countryside. We visited northeastern Germany shortly after reunification. The German people shared their views of their Soviet years - interesting conversations.

Recent review of this excursion:

https://www.travelblog.org/Europe/Lithuania/Klaipeda/blog-986184.html

Princess Cruises offers a more complete description of this excursion than does Royal Caribbean.

http://www.princess.com/excursion/exDetails.do?exType=S&tourCode=KLJ-220

• 2 weeks later...

We did the Soviet Missile tour in September 2015 (sailing with Regent) and it was a highlight for us. Very well presented exhibits, interesting inside of the silo. I highly recommend it!

Our tour also included a lovely Lithuanian lunch at a charming restaurant and spectacular views of the country area to and from the port. We thoroughly enjoyed the entire tour.

I have many photos ... please feel free to email me at beach61 (at) cox (dot) net with any questions or if you want me to share any of the pictures.

Sharon

We did the Soviet Missile tour in September 2015 (sailing with Regent) and it was a highlight for us. Very well presented exhibits, interesting inside of the silo. I highly recommend it!

I can only agree. We did the tour to the Missile Site two years ago. Unique and interesting. A tour to remember.