John Bull, help!

All of the port, plus the West Quay mall & retail park, Holiday Inn, etc has been built on reclaimed land - at one time the "Water Gate" and "West Gate", set in the old town wall, were on the shoreline, now the docks extend anywhere between 100 yards & a mile south of the old city wall.

Gate 4 has been there for decades - it's the main entrance to the "old docks", including QE11 terminal, Ocean terminal, & ro-ro terminals. Ocean terminal is no more than a 5 minute walk from Gate 4, whereas QE11 terminal is a long way past & juts out into Southampton Water.

Gate 5 was part of a road improvement which is in its last stage of construction - it's mebbe 150 yards before Gate 4.

On the birds-eye view, as per Simon's link, you can make out the new gate & short new section of road between it & Ocean Terminal, and the route shown incorporates it. If you don't peel off to use Gate 5, you'll shortly com

Clear as mud :D

But very simple.

JB :)

Thanks...Got it

Is there a convenient store within walking distance of Ocean terminal where one can buy sodas prior to boarding? On Google maps, I see a Tesco and The Co-operative Food that are about a 10 minute walk. Are these the closest ones?

I don't want to buy the soda package from the ship. We don't drink $5 worth of sodas a day.

Is there a convenient store within walking distance of Ocean terminal where one can buy sodas prior to boarding? On Google maps, I see a Tesco and The Co-operative Food that are about a 10 minute walk. Are these the closest ones?

I don't want to buy the soda package from the ship. We don't drink $5 worth of sodas a day.

They're the closest I can think of, & nothing to choose between them.

A walk to the Co-op in the High Street is the more interesting, and a few watering holes on the way.

The Tesco is in a modern apartment complex called Ocean Village, built on the former cross-channel ferry berths. It was on the way to being Southampton's premier entertainment & dining complex but for some reason (£££ :rolleyes:) it changed to apartment blocks.

JB :)