Las Palmas, Gran Canaria

I would suggest you do not need a tour for Las Palmas as there are regular buses to the old town and there is lots there to occupy a day. There is a hoho bus too if you really want a tourist patter and general drive around the city.

There is a tourist booth as you walk out of the port and that is where we got details of the local buses and a good map of the city. It is a very big city, with a busy tourist beach if you walk straight across the peninsular from the port, but the old town is quieter and much more pleasant, with lots of museums, a Cathedral and plenty of streets and cafes for a stroll.

Look at CC's ports of call page.

Edited by tring

Thank you, Tring, for your thoughtful and informative post. We had wanted to see the south, Mogan and Maspolomas Beach. My parents have mobility issues so we felt a private guide was the best way to go. Possibly the tourist booth you speak of will have a suggestion...

Thank you, Tring, for your thoughtful and informative post. We had wanted to see the south, Mogan and Maspolomas Beach. My parents have mobility issues so we felt a private guide was the best way to go. Possibly the tourist booth you speak of will have a suggestion...

I see your predicament. We have docked in Las Palmas about 6 times in the last three years and were looking at taking a bus to the south on one occasion when we were in port late night. It is a long way and posts on TA suggested that there was a high chance of being caught in busy traffic so we changed our minds.

You could probably get a taxi to do a tour for you on the day, but taxis are far from cheap in the Canaries, so it would likely be much more expensive than a ship's tour. Ship's tour may be your best option if your mum's mobility issues can be accommodated by one. Or perhaps a 'Masapolomas on your own' trip and pick up a taxi from there.

CC suggest about 450 Euros for a taxi for 4 hours and I think you will find you would need a fair bit longer than that to go south. http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/ports/newport.cfm?ID=183

Someone may just come up with a suggestion here though, or you could post the same question on the relevant Trip Advisor forum (mentioning mobility problems). TA is CC's land based sister site. I find that unusual questions or the less visited ports are more likely to be answered there.

Gran Canaria is a very busy tourist island, so to see what you would be visiting, I suggest you look at some pictures which people have posted on Google Earth for those areas. Brochure pictures can often be misleading, but you may like busy places.

Edited by tring

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When we visited Las Palmas in May, we simply caught the hop-on hop-off tour bus at the cruise port. It was inexpensive, provided a good overview and allowed us to explore different districts of the city. Las Palmas is a large city and quite spread-out, so it's not one that you can be easily explored on foot.

http://LasPalmas.GranCanaria.ca

I lived and worked in Gran Canaria for many years. It is quite a long way on the bus from Las Palmas to Mogan. When you get there it is a man made tourist resort. Maspalomas is on the way to Mogan. It has extensive sand dunes, a nice sandy beach and lots of tourist hotels and apartments.

If I was docking in Las Palmas I would either hire a car for the day and visit the beautiful interior and north of the island or stay in Las Palmas which has plenty to offer.