Asked for a Horizon Upgrade on Voyager

marylizbeth

Yikes...before I read the posts I had asked for an upgrade and got it on a Baltic cruise. A 7th floor cabin in the back. From what I read it will be like sailing on a jack hammer.

The cruise is fully booked...but I am thinking I should beg for a change.

If anyone has any new good news about the shaking I'd be happy to hear it.

I live in earthquake country....all I need is to feel vibration all night.

They should give these rooms at out a discount if it is so bad. I am paying more to sleep in a blender???

Hi Marylizbeth, we were upgraded to a Horizon Suite on the Voyager in the Med in 2005 and loved it. (We live in earthquake country too, and I also have issues with seasickness.) We decided that the back of the ship is our favorite place to be! We are cruising again on the Voyager in August to the Baltics, and would be thrilled if we got upgraded again to a Horizon Suite.

Our favorite accomodation on the Voyager is a Seven Seas Aft suite on deck 6 -- one deck lower than 7. We have also been in the same suite on deck 7. Altogether, we have spent more than a month in these suites -- mostly crossing the Atlantic Ocean. Other people may complain about vibration in these suites, but it has never bothered us even when the ship has been going along at top speed.

Sorry to have to be the voice of dissent here. But, there is a long-standing, serious vibration problem on the Voyager and RSSC has not been able to correct it in any of the dry docks. It is most notable in the aft portion of the ship. It is also more notable when the ship is going at a higher speed, particularly above above about 19-20 knots per hour (that is, the faster the ship, the more noticeable the vibration). Thus, in no event should you accept a cabin farther aft than midships on Voyager.

If the vibration might bother you, then you should consider changing to another trip where you can get a cabin at mid-ships or farther forward or to another line/ship that does not have this problem.

Sorry to have to be the voice of dissent here. But, there is a long-standing, serious vibration problem on the Voyager and RSSC has not been able to correct it in any of the dry docks. It is most notable in the aft portion of the ship. It is also more notable when the ship is going at a higher speed, particularly above above about 19-20 knots per hour (that is, the faster the ship, the more noticeable the vibration). Thus, in no event should you accept a cabin farther aft than midships on Voyager.

If the vibration might bother you, then you should consider changing to another trip where you can get a cabin at mid-ships or farther forward or to another line/ship that does not have this problem.

AJ Theodore, Please go on slamming our favorite cabins; it will make them much easier for us to book!

JDRMYS,

It seems to me that AJ wants to give his opinion based on his experience which obviously differs from yours. The fact that these are "your favorite cabins" does not make them the "favorite" for everybody that has been on Voyager, myself included.

If we are to post only positive comments here I think that defeats the purpose of the board.

Our experience on Voyager in 2005 in suite 862 was that we hardly ever noticed any vibration, although we were forward of the laundry rooms and that was the information I had at the time we booked, that the vibration got worse past the laundry rooms - we occassionally noticed a very slight vibration when lying in bed, when the ship was moving at high speeds. I walked back towards the aft several times and did notice the vibration increasing as we went further back, and I personally would be bothered by that in my cabin. We actually didn't notice it much in Horizon or La Verandah, but often times when were were in there we were in port, or moving at a slower rate of speed.

I agree its true that some people are more bothered than others, so maybe you need to assess your own level of sensitivity and work from there. For those that aren't bothered by it, those are great suites with the larger balconies, and of course the aft SSSuites are back there too. We have booked suite 861 for our Grand Crossing in Nov and it will be interesting to see if we notice more vibration during the trans atlantic portion when we are most likely to be traveling at full speed.

Perhaps some people are more sensitive than others and perhaps the things that bother one cruiser would not bother another (otherwise, why would there be some many different cruise lines catering to so many differents cruise styles?). However, whether or not one is bothered by things like vibration, the fact remains that, as CRUISLUV says, these boards must be for more than just the positive about any cruise line. We should not be cheerleaders (or the opposite) for any given line or ship, but should try to accurately reflect our experiences and views.

In any event, as to the topic at hand, I was on the Voyager several months ago, including several nights of high speed travel. Although there has clearly been some decrease in the vibration as compared to a couple of years ago, the fact is that vibration remains a problem on the Voyager. As I and others have noted, it is more noticeable as the speed of the ship increases and it is more noticeable in the aft portion of the ship.

JDRMYS,

It seems to me that AJ wants to give his opinion based on his experience which obviously differs from yours. The fact that these are "your favorite cabins" does not make them the "favorite" for everybody that has been on Voyager, myself included.

If we are to post only positive comments here I think that defeats the purpose of the board.

There is no reason that our favorite cabins on the Voyager should be yours or anyone else's. Your favorites are not ours. I am simply stating my personal opinion and preference. I respect your opinion and your choice of accomodations as right for you. We simply prefer something that you, personally, find uncomfortable. We, obviously are not bothered by whatever (slight, in our personal opinions) vibration that we have encounterd aft on the Voyager and find the aft suites to be our favorites. You have every right to be bothered by the vibration and to chose other accomodations that make you happy. To each, his/her own!

There is no reason that our favorite cabins on the Voyager should be yours or anyone else's. Your favorites are not ours. I am simply stating my personal opinion and preference. I respect your opinion and your choice of accomodations as right for you.

!

Then why the sarcasm about AJ "slamming" your favorite cabins? Sorry, but that didn't sound too "respectful" to me. Nobody responded to your opinion with sarcasms or put downs.

Thus, in no event should you accept a cabin farther aft than midships on Voyager.

I'm sorry if I have offended anyone, but I do find the above quoted advice that no one should accept half of the accomodations on the Voyager to be rather extreme. Obviously AJ Theodore is sensitive to any vibration aft of midship on the Voyager. I am sure that a number of other people agree with AJ. They should not book aft accomodations on the Voyager. However, I do not believe that this opinion is shared by the majority of Voyager cruisers. Certainly those who have had accomodations near us aft on the Voyager have never told us that they were bothered by excessive vibration. The only complaints that I, personally, have heard about accomodations on the Voyager were from cruisers on deck 10 directly under the pool deck who have heard the deck chairs being moved around over their heads.

My comment about AJ's comment possibly making it easier (and cheaper) to book our favorite accomodations was meant in all seriousness. I would be delighted if these rates came down. Nevertheless, we will continue to book these suites, at whatever rates, as long as we can afford them. Those of you who do not want to book aft accomodations need not do so.

I am with JDRMYS on this one. I, and almost everyone else finds any vibration not too intrusive. But there are some, I agree, who find it disturbing. A gent, SeabornD, I think his name was, was particularly disturbed, but reception found him a different suite when he said so. I think the advice "in no circumstances should you accept a cabin further aft than midships" is therefore over the top.

Archived