Train Schedule Venice to Rome - limited schedule?

mickeysgal

We are looking to travel back to Rome from Venice on Friday July 10. There are only a few trains available in the morning and one late afternoon. If I switch the date to one month earlier on a similar Friday, there are a whole lot more trains available. I know they release schedules 120 days in advance but we're within that window. What am I doing wrong or is there really that little train availability that day?

Its a difficult city pair to get through trains as it is long trip.

http://www.eurail.com/plan-your-trip/eurail-timetable

Enter from Venezia SL to Roma T and select 10/07/15 and you will get up a few through trains, plus many others that require one change en route .

Of course Eurail IS a middleman, something that you caution people against in every post!!

We are looking to travel back to Rome from Venice on Friday July 10. There are only a few trains available in the morning and one late afternoon. If I switch the date to one month earlier on a similar Friday, there are a whole lot more trains available. I know they release schedules 120 days in advance but we're within that window. What am I doing wrong or is there really that little train availability that day?

Not all the train types are 120 days out. Try checking a month earlier, and you'll see what I mean. Also, make sure you're checking http://www.trenitalia.com/ and not booking through a middleman like eurail. booking direct with trenitalia there are ofter inexpensive deals to be had that aren't passed on to the middlemen.

Not all the train types are 120 days out. Try checking a month earlier, and you'll see what I mean. Also, make sure you're checking http://www.trenitalia.com/ and not booking through a middleman like eurail. booking direct with trenitalia there are ofter inexpensive deals to be had that aren't passed on to the middlemen.

I was on trenitalia's site and I did check a month earlier. That's what made me think something was wrong. A month earlier there appears to be trains once an hour.

I have us booked going to Venice, just need to get us back to Rome.

I'm trying to book a train from Rome to Venice on July 19 and Italo has finally released a schedule past July 15 (trying to book July 19), but they don't have any trains on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday of that week (or the next). I think I'm just going to have to suck it up and pay the €59 for Trenitalia. *sigh* :roll eyes:

Edited to add… I just booked the Trenitalia tickets. :) Now I can stop worrying! Good luck with your train travel!

Edited by Lucinarei

Of course Eurail IS a middleman, something that you caution people against in every post!!

Eurail is not a middle man it is the body representing the European countries operating services in some 27 countries and controlling the Eurail Pass, Multi Country and Single rail passes .

Rail Europe is a middle man selling European rail travel.

All railways SNCF (France), Trenitalia (Italy) and Deutschbahn (Germany) also have their own individual websites .

I have not warned people against booking rail with Eurail at any time.

(I have advised people in booking smaller hotels to book direct via the individual hotel websites to avoid paying middle man commissioners to aggregators selling accommodation for many hotels. I only mention this in posts where people are seeking hotel recommendations )

Edited by kuldalai

It has to do with the seasonal change over of the schedule. Keep checking and more trains will come on line. Also take a look at Italotreno, the newer competitor: http://www.italotreno.it/EN

Still looking for a fare for Venice to Florence on July 10th.

Italotreno has great fares...15euro a person at 8:25 in the morning. A bit early for us, but in comparison Trenitalia still hasn't released a full schedule and the 9:25 is now 45 euro pp. For a family of four that's a huge savings for us. However, I really wanted to savor that last morning in Venice as much as possible. So my questions...

- has anyone traveled on Italotreno? Is it just as reliable as Trenitalia?

- should I wait it out in hopes that Trenitalia expands their schedule for the morning of the July 10th?

What would you all do?