Lord of the Glens

Vistaboy

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Had a five day cruise on LotG in April last year, from Inverness to Oban. We were incredibly lucky with the weather, and the Highlands of Scotland were looking their absolute best.

We travelled to Inverness by train, and were met at the station by a coach which transferred us to the ship. (The same coach and driver were to follow us and take us on excursions at the various stops over the next few days.) On arrival at the ship we were met by Brian, the cruise director, purser, Maitre d', and just about everything else. The ship is small, holding just 54 passengers, but is the maximum size that can fit through the locks in the Caledonian Canal. The main public room is the combined lounge and bar on the upper deck, with large windows to view the passing scenery. The dining room is one deck below. Tea and excellent coffee are freely available in the lounge. Open deck space is plentiful for the number of passengers.

Meals are single sitting at a set time, and you are free to choose your table companions in tables for four or six. The food is excellent, using often local produce. Beware, the waiter will offer to pour you glasses of wine, but each glass is recorded and added to your bar bill (though not extortionate).

We were in a category 3 cabin (the most expensive) and it was not large by cruise ship standards, though perfectly adequate for a short cruise. The beds were very comfortable.

The most interesting bit was the passage through the Caledonian Canal, and in good weather this is simply exquisite. There are several flights of locks to pass through, and this adds to the interest. Excursions were arranged to various places of interest on the trip, such as Glenfinnan, Duart and Torosay Castles, and these were included in the price of the cruise. Brian was always on hand to answer any questions, and to assist with any problems. On our cruise we found that most people were early bedders, and my wife and I often found we were the last in the bar.

Overall we found it an excellent experience, not super-luxurious but very comfortable and enjoyable. The crew went about their duties in an unobtrusive manner, though it was possible to chat to the captain while he was maneuvering the ship in the locks. Did I mention Brian? Omni-present, very affable and helpful, he was the public face of the ship, and greatly contributed to the success of the cruise.

This is not for people who want glitzy ships with climbing walls, skating rinks and 4000 other passengers, but for a low key and intimate experience I would thoroughly recommend it.

• 5 weeks later...
We are considering trying the'Lord of the Glens' which sails from Inverness. Has anyone tried her, and have you any advice about cabins etc. :) :confused:

We are on the LOTG at the end of Aug 12 for a 10 night cruise. I will try and remember to come on here and post what we thought about it.

• 3 weeks later...
We are on the LOTG at the end of Aug 12 for a 10 night cruise. I will try and remember to come on here and post what we thought about it.

Please do, we are looking at some 2013 cruises :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi we are back off the cruise and I have posted a review- I am not very good with reviews so please be kind. Main thing is would we go on it again-yes we would. The crew were very good and friendly. Our group of passengers all got on .."team GB" you know who you are..... just understand that the cabins are small and the bathrooms are smaller, then you will not be surprised. Saw amazing scenery....and places we would not have seen otherwise...

• 3 months later...

We have a 5-nighter booked this spring. Being American, I am having trouble with the "Smart Casual" dress code. Can someone who has been give me some guidance and examples of what you saw and would be appropriate for us. This is part of a month long trip and we are trying to minimize luggage, so keeping that in mind, what are your recommendations? Thanks in advance, Debbie

• 2 weeks later...

Debbie

We have just completed a 5 night cruise on Lord of the Glens. Dress code is quite simple, most male guests wore a jacket with tie, some a jacket without tie. Ladies wore smart jacket or cardigan over blouse and skirt, or dress or slacks. I wore slacks throughout the cruise - for evening I just put on a light jacket which I had packed. As you we had problems with luggage and could only take a couple of small cases. For breakfast and lunch dress was really informal, just what you would wear to go around on holiday.

Atmosphere is very informal and friendly. We loved the cruise, the food is exceptional and ship manager, Brian, is a wonderful host and organises everything very well. The only downside as far as I was concerned was the small bathroom which I had difficulty with as I have a disability problem. The cabins are very small too but cosy and they have plenty of storage.

I am sure you will have a wonderful time. Enjoy.

Archived