Invergordon/Inverness question

For the Scots out there (or whomever has been to Invergordon or Inverness):

1.) Does the cruise ship dock alongside the pier? Do you have to tender in?

2.) How far is the train station from the cruise terminal in Invergordon?

3.) Are there taxis readily available at the Inverness train station? Would they take us to Clansman Harbor?

We're looking to book the 2-hour Loch Ness cruise with Jacobite and were trying to figure out how to get to Clansman Harbor from the ship. It looks like a train/taxi combo.

Thanks in advance!

For the Scots out there (or whomever has been to Invergordon or Inverness):

1.) Does the cruise ship dock alongside the pier? Do you have to tender in?

It does dock

2.) How far is the train station from the cruise terminal in Invergordon?

Within walking distance

3.) Are there taxis readily available at the Inverness train station? Would they take us to Clansman Harbor?

Yes they are and they would but Jacobite offer four tours that depart from Inverness, the Clansman is approx ten miles from Inverness, a nice drive along the side of the Loch

We're looking to book the 2-hour Loch Ness cruise with Jacobite and were trying to figure out how to get to Clansman Harbor from the ship. It looks like a train/taxi combo.

Thanks in advance!

It looks as if you are looking at the freedom tour but if you booked the Temptation tour they would pick you up in Inverness and you wouldn't need a taxi.

If you want to let me know when you are visiting I can help you work out your best options as the tours differ at certain times of the year :) I live and work in Drumnadrochit (I'm the manager of The Loch Ness Centre & Exhibition)

Forum rules prevent me from recommending a certain company or tour but I am happy to give you information on anything you suggest yourself :)

Edited by DebbieMacG

Hi DebbieMacG,

Thank you so much for the info! Yes, I would LOVE to do the Temptation trip, except it gets back to Inverness at 17:00/5pm and we'd never make it back to the boat in time in Invergordon. :(

My options are: a 1-hour Loch cruise through Jacobite or the 3.5-hour "Sensation" cruise through Jacobite which includes the castle and Loch Ness Monster Exhibition (yay!). It seems to get us back to Inverness by 2pm, leaving us enough time to catch the hour-long train ride back to Invergordon.

I'm assuming you buy your train tickets right there at the station and not beforehand online? I'm so thankful that it's walking distance from the cruise ship to the Invergordon train station. :o

Our ship docks at 7am on June 3rd and leaves at 6pm, giving me the hours inbetween to make it out to the Loch and back.

Edited by DeloreanGirl

I did wonder if you picked that your because of a time restraint.

You are right about the train, there is only one on a Sunday and at 11.26am it's not the best. You could get the bus though, they run several during the day, another option would be a taxi.

Here is a link to the latest timetable http://www.stagecoachbus.com/PdfUploads/Timetable_21937_25%2025A%2025X%20X98%20Highland.pdf

Invergordon has a great volunteer welcoming committee for all cruise ships, this is their website http://www.visitinvergordon.com/ there's a lot of useful information on there :)

I hope you can do your visit to Loch, it's a beautiful place, the castle and our village are just magical and I'm sure you will love it.

Let me know if you need anymore help?

Hi Debbie,

Yep, you were right.

Instead, I'll be taking the cruise line coach which takes us to Invergordon to Inverness between 9am-3:30pm.

Inbetween that time, I've booked the 3.5 coach/boat/Urquhart/Loch Ness Center & Exhibition package through Jacobite which runs from 10:30am to 2pm, roughly.

I can't believe we'll be in Scotland. It's like a fantasy place to us Americans! So I suppose, if you're working that Sunday, I'll see you there. :D

Edited by DeloreanGirl

That sounds like a great plan :)

Kenny, Alison or Susan from Jacobite will look after you I'm sure

I'm usually off on a Sunday so it will be either Ann or Jill, I only work now and again on the cash desk but if I am working I'll keep an eye out for Jacobite when they come in :)

I'm sure you will have a lovely time, its a great tour, driving along the banks of the Loch, a cruise on the Loch, a visit to the castle and then the exhibition are make for a perfect day :D

Delorian Girl -

DW and I are booked on the Jacobite Sensation tour. I am SO glad you checked out the train situation! I would have had egg on my face for sure.

We will book the Princess bus excurision also. Looks like we can make our pick up time in Inverness at 10:15 and be back by 2:00pm in time to catch the bus back to the ship.

Hi there,

You are on the May 14th sailing so your Inverness day probably falls on a normal day where the trains are running all day. Your best bet may still be the train!

My only snafu was that our Inverness day is on a Sunday where only 1 train runs in and out at times that didn't match up with the ship departing, so I was forced to purchase the Princess transfers.

I'm so glad you're doing the Sensation tour. It looks like so much fun and the folks there seem incredibly nice!

• 3 years later...

We docked in Invergordon aboard Norwegian Star in October 2015 and had prearranged a rental car from Kens Garage and it was waiting for us at the dock. Brand new Peugeot (but be sure to ask for an automatic if you don't feel comfortable shifting with your left hand). The daily rental cost less than a single shore excursion ticket and gave us freedom to explore.

We drove through Inverness and straight to the Culloden Battlefield. After exploring that we drove up to the Jacobite Cruise departure point at the Clansman Inn. Great experience with the one hour stop at Urquhart Castle. After the cruise we got directions to the closest distillery (Glen Ord) and drove off across the Highland Moors. Fantastic. Stay on the same road to take a loop back to the road to Invergorden.

We did everything we wanted and got back to the ship before many of the excursion buses. I do recommend "Kens Garage" for your car rental because those who rented cars from other brand name agencies complained that they were bussed to Inverness (20 minutes away) to pick up their car and then had to repeat the process in reverse. That cuts out more than an hour of your precious time. Having our car waiting 50 meters from the boarding ramp and returning it to the same parking spot was awesome. :)