Seattle Transit Advice

Hello. We will be visiting Seattle as a port of call next month. We are scheduled dock at Pier 91 (although we have our fingers crossed they dock at Pier 66 putting us closer to the touristy activities). From the best we can tell HAL is not offering any excursions or transportation from the pier to anywhere (except a tour to Boeing).

I was looking at Transit options online, and found that the RapidRide D Line looks like a good option to where we want to go (we have a late morning walking tour booked in the vicinity of Pike Place Market, and early evening Space Needle passes).

I was hoping a local could advise if this really is a good option? We are seasoned public transit riders and are OK with walking, but don't want to spend a huge amount port time waiting for and riding buses. On the other hand if HAL is not offering any transportation, we might wait a similar amount of time for a cab ;)

Also, a silly question...assuming buses there accept only exact change but do we need coins or do they accept bills? Sorry, I am used to the land of Toonies and Loonies :)

Thanks!

Hello. We will be visiting Seattle as a port of call next month. We are scheduled dock at Pier 91 (although we have our fingers crossed they dock at Pier 66 putting us closer to the touristy activities). From the best we can tell HAL is not offering any excursions or transportation from the pier to anywhere (except a tour to Boeing).

I was looking at Transit options online, and found that the RapidRide D Line looks like a good option to where we want to go (we have a late morning walking tour booked in the vicinity of Pike Place Market, and early evening Space Needle passes).

I was hoping a local could advise if this really is a good option? We are seasoned public transit riders and are OK with walking, but don't want to spend a huge amount port time waiting for and riding buses. On the other hand if HAL is not offering any transportation, we might wait a similar amount of time for a cab ;)

Also, a silly question...assuming buses there accept only exact change but do we need coins or do they accept bills? Sorry, I am used to the land of Toonies and Loonies :)

Thanks!

Pier 91 is not so close to town activities but I checked and there is a bus from the Magnolia Bridge every 15 minutes on week days (takes about 25 minutes). The senior fare is $1 and I think adult fare is $2. You have to climb some spiral stairs to the bridge but quite near the terminal. The 33 bus takes you to 3rd and Pike- a short way from Pike Place Market. To get to the waterfront (just below the market) take the elevator to the base of the parking garage. There you will find the Seattle Aquarium, Ferris wheel and lots of seafood restaurants. If you have time and ambition at the waterfront you can take the famous Seattle Ferry to Bainbridge Island (35 minutes each way) to a nice little town. I live there so I guess I am biased.

To go to the Space Needle at Seattle Center same thing for the bus route except get off at Denny Way and 2nd Avenue. Lots of things to do there.

Pier 91 is not so close to town activities but I checked and there is a bus from the Magnolia Bridge every 15 minutes on week days (takes about 25 minutes). The senior fare is $1 and I think adult fare is $2. You have to climb some spiral stairs to the bridge but quite near the terminal. The 33 bus takes you to 3rd and Pike- a short way from Pike Place Market. To get to the waterfront (just below the market) take the elevator to the base of the parking garage. There you will find the Seattle Aquarium, Ferris wheel and lots of seafood restaurants. If you have time and ambition at the waterfront you can take the famous Seattle Ferry to Bainbridge Island (35 minutes each way) to a nice little town. I live there so I guess I am biased.

To go to the Space Needle at Seattle Center same thing for the bus route except get off at Denny Way and 2nd Avenue. Lots of things to do there.

Thanks for the tips and route advice. We have been to Pier 91 as a embarkation/disembarkation port before, I remember seeing those spiral stairs you mentioned. That pier is actually the closest I've been to downtown Seattle, so I am rather excited to do some of the classic touristy things! We'll definitely put Bainbridge Island on our list for a future activity, and/or an alternative if our plans fall through :)

Thanks again.

IMHO, I would UBER it from the pier. About $9 to the Wharf/Pikes Market area. You could ride the wheel or the new Wings Over Washington. Short walk to Westlake Center where you could catch the monorail to Seattle Center where the Space Needle is located as well as the EMP...All good choices for a Seattle Day. As you are from the PNW...will not even mention the chance of rain.

The walk from Pike Place Market to the Needle is about a mile. (It's exactly a mile from 1st Ave. & Stewart St.) I've walked it and it's a nice easy walk. About 20-30 minutes, depending on how fast you walk.

If walking the mile is time issue, you can walk to 5th & Pike to grab the monorail as Robinsoncruiseso suggested. That'll probably save you about 10 minutes though.

When my wife and I walked it (from the Needle to the Market), we took a slight detour and stopped off at 5 Point Cafe for lunch before heading back the Market. If you have the time, I definitely suggest it for lunch!

Thanks all for the tips and advice! Walking isn't a problem, so we might make our way by foot over to the Space Needle after we are done in the Market/waterfront area, but the monorail sounds like a great back-up option depending the weather. Right now the forecast looks OK, but yes, we are very familiar with the PNW this time of year ;)