Question about Princess Cruise Terminal Ft Lauderdale

JimAOk1945

We are cruising on the Island Princess in December. It's a partial transit round trip from Ft Lauderdale. We will be in a full suite. We will be arriving at the terminal on a Princess Transfer.

Can someone tell us what to expect when we arrive at the terminal?

Is there a separate line for suite guests to enter the terminal? Is there a lounge available while waiting to board the ship?

Thanks in advance for any tips/advice you care to offer.

We are cruising on the Island Princess in December. It's a partial transit round trip from Ft Lauderdale. We will be in a full suite. We will be arriving at the terminal on a Princess Transfer.

Can someone tell us what to expect when we arrive at the terminal?

Is there a separate line for suite guests to enter the terminal? Is there a lounge available while waiting to board the ship?

Thanks in advance for any tips/advice you care to offer.

Your boarding pass will say 'preferred' in the title. If you are at terminal 2 (the primary Princess terminal), there will be a separate door/line for full suite, elite and platinum passengers. Usually that line is shorter and goes faster. Once you have received your cruise card (which will have 'suite' noted on it regardless of your loyalty color), you'll be directed to the suite/elite waiting area and will board first (actually after Bon Voyage Program participants and wedding parties I understand). If you are at a different terminal (we've been to terminal 21 because another Princess ship was at terminal 2) there is only a single line to get thru the security machine but then there is a a preferred line for getting your cruise card. There was also no separate lounge - only a separate sitting area. They seat you in the order you arrive and that is the order they call you in for boarding. We've found that the lines move quickly and they seem to have it all down to a science. Enjoy your cruise!

Your boarding pass will say 'preferred' in the title. If you are at terminal 2 (the primary Princess terminal), there will be a separate door/line for full suite, elite and platinum passengers. Usually that line is shorter and goes faster. Once you have received your cruise card (which will have 'suite' noted on it regardless of your loyalty color), you'll be directed to the suite/elite waiting area and will board first (actually after Bon Voyage Program participants and wedding parties I understand). If you are at a different terminal (we've been to terminal 21 because another Princess ship was at terminal 2) there is only a single line to get thru the security machine but then there is a a preferred line for getting your cruise card. There was also no separate lounge - only a separate sitting area. They seat you in the order you arrive and that is the order they call you in for boarding. We've found that the lines move quickly and they seem to have it all down to a science. Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. You have been very helpful. This is exactly what I needed to know.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. You have been very helpful. This is exactly what I needed to know.

Jim - after I responded to you I saw an on-line article in the Sun-Sentinel about the upcoming cruise season: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/fl-new-cruise-season-outlook-20140917,0,4081787.story.

I don't know when you're traveling but if it is after early December, it looks like the renovated terminal 4 (right next to 2) will be re-opened. I know that was used primarily by Princess in the past when they had multiple ships in port; I assume it will be in the future too:

In early December, the port's cruise terminal 4 will reopen after a $24 million renovation that included a high-efficiency air conditioning system, 50 check-in counters and two new loading bridges to speed passenger processing.

"We look forward to a busy cruise season again this year, especially once our newly renovated cruise terminal 4 opens and our guests experience improved access and a much more efficient transportation flow," Port Everglades Chief Executive & Port Director Steven Cernak said.

Enjoy the Island - we did a full transit of the canal on her in 2008 (I think). She (and her sister ship the Coral that we've been on twice on Alaska cruises) are lovely and are our favorite ships in the Princess fleet.

Jim - after I responded to you I saw an on-line article in the Sun-Sentinel about the upcoming cruise season: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/fl-new-cruise-season-outlook-20140917,0,4081787.story.

I don't know when you're traveling but if it is after early December, it looks like the renovated terminal 4 (right next to 2) will be re-opened. I know that was used primarily by Princess in the past when they had multiple ships in port; I assume it will be in the future too:

Thanks for the link. This is very interesting. We will be embarking on Dec. 18. It looks like there is a good possibility that we will use Terminal 4 instead of 2.

Am I correct in assuming Princess will somehow notify us about which terminal we should report to?

There are times that the Suite, Elite and Platinum lounge will fill up and you will be directed to another area within the terminal. If you arrive after 12 noon then after check-in procedures you will likely go directly on to the ship.

This information is very helpful. Our flight is scheduled to land at 10:55 am. We have booked a Princess transfer from the airport to the ship.

I'm thinking that probably by the time we collect our luggage and wait for everyone to get on the bus, it may be close to 12 noon or after by the time we reach the ship. That is OK with me. I like the idea of going straight to the ship after check-in procedures.

Thanks for your input!

Am I correct in assuming Princess will somehow notify us about which terminal we should report to?

I really can't remember if Princess officially notifies you. If you don't know before, the day's departures are posted on large signs at the entrance security booths to Port Everglades plus the guard examining your documents (have passport and boarding pass ready) will direct you to the correct pier.

I see you are on a Princess transfer from the airport - they'll know where to take you! If you get there after 12, in addition to going right onto the ship you'll be able to go directly to your stateroom since Princess doesn't start boarding until all the staterooms are ready (usually between 11:30 and noon in our experience).

Edited by capriccio

I really can't remember if Princess officially notifies you. If you don't know before, the day's departures are posted on large signs at the entrance security booths to Port Everglades plus the guard examining your documents (have passport and boarding pass ready) will direct you to the correct pier.

I see you are on a Princess transfer from the airport - they'll know where to take you! If you get there after 12, in addition to going right onto the ship you'll be able to go directly to your stateroom since Princess doesn't start boarding until all the staterooms are ready (usually between 11:30 and noon in our experience).

I appreciate this information. Knowing what to expect when we get there is very helpful. Thanks!