UDP reservation times are TERRIBLE :(

I'm debating about whether or not to purchase UDP. I 'think' we want it, but the reservation times available are terrible :(.

Example: On Day 2 the only time available time for LeBistro is 5:30 :(. Can this be correct? Is LeBistro entirely sold out for the first Sea day or do they hold certain amount of seats for those that just show up? In other words, if we went to LeBistro at 7:00 p.m. would we be able to eat there that night even if we had a hours wait?

Another example: on the second sea day I can't even make any reservation for Cagneys because parties of 2 are unavailable (I can make a single reservation or a party of 4). Even LaCucina only has 5:30 available for party of 2 :(.

Do you think they will open up blocks of time once onboard ship?

We don't mind waiting, but we don't want to purchase UDP if there is a chance we won't be able to dine in our chosen restaurant on our chosen date. In other words, what is the chance of being turned away from a restaurant entirely?

Interesting.

I have wondered if specialty restaurants will become busier and busier if the UDP becomes popular and as the number of Platinums climbs. We book our Platinum freebie meals after boarding, and I hope we can continue to do so easily. So far, we have been able to get good times easily.

I suspect they are holding times for on board booking. If you really want UDP, I'd go ahead and buy it them make reservations on line as best you can. for example, as far as I know, the smallest Cagney's tanle seats two, so I'd place the reservation for one for the correct time (and straighten it out later on board). On day one of the cruise, go to the reservations desk and try to get all the times you really wanted. If on day one you just cannot get dining times that please you, I'd ask for a refund.

I'm debating about whether or not to purchase UDP. I 'think' we want it, but the reservation times available are terrible :(.

Example: On Day 2 the only time available time for LeBistro is 5:30 :(. Can this be correct? Is LeBistro entirely sold out for the first Sea day or do they hold certain amount of seats for those that just show up? In other words, if we went to LeBistro at 7:00 p.m. would we be able to eat there that night even if we had a hours wait?

Another example: on the second sea day I can't even make any reservation for Cagneys because parties of 2 are unavailable (I can make a single reservation or a party of 4). Even LaCucina only has 5:30 available for party of 2 :(.

Do you think they will open up blocks of time once onboard ship?

We don't mind waiting, but we don't want to purchase UDP if there is a chance we won't be able to dine in our chosen restaurant on our chosen date. In other words, what is the chance of being turned away from a restaurant entirely?

Wait until you are aboard ship to make your reservations. More options available.

Thanks for the reply, but at this point I can't make any reservations that come close to what we'd like as it looks like the only availability for any restaurant on each of the three sea days is 5:30 :(

The days we are in Bermuda have more availability, but those days we'd prefer to just wing it.

In fact, we prefer to wing it every day and don't mind waiting. We wait over an hour here for popular restaurants so that doesn't matter. What I am afraid of is getting to Teppanaki at let's say, 7:00 p.m. and having the restaurants say they are booked for the entire evening :(.

Only a very small percentage of reservations are available for pre-booking. When you get on board, immediately go wherever your ship has people go to make reservations that first day, and you should be fine.

Only a very small percentage of reservations are available for pre-booking. When you get on board, immediately go wherever your ship has people go to make reservations that first day, and you should be fine.

Thank you. However; what if I don't want to make any reservations at all? I prefer to 'free-style' entirely and choose when/where we want to eat while getting ready for dinner. I understand we can get into Savor and Taste or the Buffet without being turned away entirely, but is there any chance of showing up at 7:00 to let's say Le-Bistro or Tepannaki and be turned away entirely (even if we are willing to wait)? If so, the UDP is not for us :(

Thank you. However; what if I don't want to make any reservations at all? I prefer to 'free-style' entirely and choose when/where we want to eat while getting ready for dinner. I understand we can get into Savor and Taste or the Buffet without being turned away entirely, but is there any chance of showing up at 7:00 to let's say Le-Bistro or Tepannaki and be turned away entirely (even if we are willing to wait)? If so, the UDP is not for us :(

Those days are long gone, unfortunately. You have to make reservations in advance, unless you have access to the concierge.

Thanks for the reply, but at this point I can't make any reservations that come close to what we'd like as it looks like the only availability for any restaurant on each of the three sea days is 5:30 :(

The days we are in Bermuda have more availability, but those days we'd prefer to just wing it.

In fact, we prefer to wing it every day and don't mind waiting. We wait over an hour here for popular restaurants so that doesn't matter. What I am afraid of is getting to Teppanaki at let's say, 7:00 p.m. and having the restaurants say they are booked for the entire evening :(.

Teppanaki has limited seating...very limited seating on some ships as that restaurant started small. As I recall in a small one in the early days, they seated everybody around the grill at once, so they had an only one early seating and one late seating. they built Teppanaki larger once it proved popular, so it may be more flexible on those ships. I would not plan to do Teppanaki as a walk up, especially on a sea day. On a Bermuda cruise, I do not think I'd want to try to walk up to any Specialty restaurant at 7 pm on a sea day; I think the tables might already be reserved and or filled by earlier walk ups.

If you booked direct, you could call and ask if they can help you get good reservation times if you book UDP. If you booked via a travel agent, getting the TA involved may be more trouble than it is worth.

If you cannot get any of the times you want, maybe just wait until you board to decide if the package is worth it. If you cannot get times that suit you, it might be hard to justify the package price.

Edited by Starry Eyes

Those days are long gone, unfortunately. You have to make reservations in advance, unless you have access to the concierge.

How unfortunate :( I was under the impression that NCL was the "free-style" line. If I'm understanding you correctly, on NCL the only truly free-style is the buffet?? It appears that even the free restaurants report extremely long waits at popular times for those without reservations, so that doesn't seem like free-style to me :(

How unfortunate :( I was under the impression that NCL was the "free-style" line. If I'm understanding you correctly, on NCL the only truly free-style is the buffet?? It appears that even the free restaurants report extremely long waits at popular times for those without reservations, so that doesn't seem like free-style to me :(

When the room is full...it's full. That has nothing to do with "Freestyle" :p

No different than a land based restaurant. You may get lucky as a walk up at some of the restaurants.

The main dining rooms are free style. they are larger venues and there is constant turn over. While you might have to wait if there is a line if you show up at a popular time (like those restaurants at home), yet you will be seated as space allows.

The specialty restaurants take reservations because people, by and large, want reservations, espeially for a special night like their anniversary dinner. And it sound like you'd like to have reservations for sea days at primo times, too. It is not that one cannot just walk up and ask if space is available...in that sense it is still free style, but doing so might lead to a long wait or to disappointment especially if it is a small venue.

When the room is full...it's full. That has nothing to do with "Freestyle" :p

I respectfully disagree. When freestyle was first introduced by NCL back in the 90's one could not make any reservations. It was truly 'free-style' as in first come, first serve (even the specialty restaurants). It was a beautiful thing and a very forward thinking vision in the industry at that time.

NCL now allows all restaurants to be reserved resulting in the prime times to be completely full prior to even boarding the ship (even in the complimentary venues).

I totally understand what starry is saying in that most people want reservations so NCL changed their policies to accommodate the majority; however imho it is no longer truly 'free-style' if all venues allow reservations.

You stand a better chance of walking up and getting in at some of the less popular specialty restaurants. Try La Cucina or Moderno. I never saw those more than 50% full. Le Bistro is generally packed - we had a reservation and still had to wait 20 minutes. As others have said, Teppanyaki is small.

Good luck.

I believe the chances of showing up at 7:00 at Le Bistro or Tepannaki without a reservation and getting a table are slim to none. Especially at those 2 locations.

We are boarding the Breakaway for the third time this year on 10/19. All of my reservations are complete and my dining times are ranging from 6 pm to 9 pm.

I have purchased UDP twice this year. Both times I had no trouble accessing the full array of reservation times on the NCL site. I am not sure what you are experiencing. I am wondering if they are limiting availability for those who have not yet purchased UDP. It would not surprise me!

Do yourself a favor and make the reservations before boarding. We found a few disappointed cruisers on our last Breakaway adventure. The two restaurants you mention are the most likely to be fully booked.

Also book your entertainment. Looking at the entertainment schedule helps plan dining times.

Have fun!

We have never had to wait at any of the free restaurants - whether it was 3 of us or 11 of us, and we usually eat at a traditional dinner time.

With the exception of Teppanyaki and, most of the time, Le Bistro, you can get in w/out a reservation, but not at 7pm. More like 8:30 or 9pm. The concierge was able to get us into the sold out Le Bistro, so yeah, they can help if they are able. If you make your reservations as soon as you board the ship, you should be fine.

I respectfully disagree. When freestyle was first introduced by NCL back in the 90's one could not make any reservations. It was truly 'free-style' as in first come, first serve (even the specialty restaurants). It was a beautiful thing and a very forward thinking vision in the industry at that time.

NCL now allows all restaurants to be reserved resulting in the prime times to be completely full prior to even boarding the ship (even in the complimentary venues).

I totally understand what starry is saying in that most people want reservations so NCL changed their policies to accommodate the majority; however imho it is no longer truly 'free-style' if all venues allow reservations.

It is different now for sure. No doubt about it. I'm sure the dining packages aren't helping ....

We have never had to wait at any of the free restaurants - whether it was 3 of us or 11 of us, and we usually eat at a traditional dinner time.

Have you sailed post NCL changing the rules to allow pre-boarding reservations in the complimentary restaurants also? If so, and you have had no problems getting in, that is very reassuring. Thank you :)

Right now, even the complimentary restaurants have only 5:30 or 9:30 reservations available on Sea days. Seems like the new policy of allowing reservations in all venues may be counter-productive to the entire free-style concept.

I did not sail in the 1990’s, but freestyle was quite new when I first sailed in January 2001. there were still kinks. leBistro was the only specialty restaurant on that ship back then; pretty sure they took reservations, though they did not seem too full for walk ups.

from an NCL PDF

"On May 28, 2000, Norwegian Cruise Line ushered in a new era of cruising when it introduced its innovative Freestyle Cruising aboard Norwegian Sky."

Be flexible with your time and you'll be able to eat ANYWHERE any night of the cruise. Teppanyaki on Epic/Breakaway/Getaway are MUCH larger than Jewel class ships and rarely completely full, in my experience.

You can be put on a waiting list if there are no tables available, just like land-based restaurants.

I did not sail in the 1990’s, but freestyle was quite new when I first sailed in January 2001. there were still kinks. leBistro was the only specialty restaurant on that ship back then; pretty sure they took reservations, though they did not seem too full for walk ups.

from an NCL PDF

"On May 28, 2000, Norwegian Cruise Line ushered in a new era of cruising when it introduced its innovative Freestyle Cruising aboard Norwegian Sky."

How Fun!! :) I sailed on the Norwegian Sky because they introduced freestyle so it must have been in 2000 and not 1990's (sorry about that). I started cruising in 1987 and get all the years/ships/lines confused at times :)

You can be put on a waiting list if there are no tables available, just like land-based restaurants.

That would TOTALLY work for us. Like I said in the first thread we don't mind waiting (we just don't want to pre-plan). Heck; I wouldn't even care if I had to wait 2 hours, I just don't want to be turned away entirely especially if I've paid for UDP.

Have you sailed post NCL changing the rules to allow pre-boarding reservations in the complimentary restaurants also? If so, and you have had no problems getting in, that is very reassuring. Thank you :)

Right now, even the complimentary restaurants have only 5:30 or 9:30 reservations available on Sea days. Seems like the new policy of allowing reservations in all venues may be counter-productive to the entire free-style concept.

Are you sure it is counterproductive for you as a freestyler if they only are give MDR reservations for very early or very late times?

Let me explain what I mean. imagine somebody might ordinarily have just walked up fairly early for dinner, say 6:15, but they decide they want a reservation. the closest reservation time is 5:30, so they take it. boom, they are in 45 minutes earlier than they would otherwise have dined, and likely that means they are also out the door 45 minutes sooner. So their table is turned and ready for a walk in diner at 7 pm vs 7:45. Multiply that times thiry or more early dining tables. similarly on the late end, smebody might have walked up at 8:15 (and maybe earilier if they saw a line), but they took a 9 pm reservation, so they come later. Is that not better for the 7 to 8 pm walk ups?

Are you sure it is counterproductive for you as a freestyler if they only are give MDR reservations for very early or very late times?

I apologize for being confusing. There WERE options available for MDR every half hour from 5:30-9:30. I logged back into NCL this morning to find that the ONLY reservations left are 5:30 or 9:30. All the others have been booked.