RCI drink package questions

Hi there,

I haven't cruised myself with RCI for two years so just wanted a bit of a refresher / insight from recent travelers!

With the drink packages, it used to be that all passengers in the room needed to have the package, you couldn't select just one passenger etc. When I logged into the cruise personalised, it seems to allow you to pick which traveler wants the drink package. Is it no longer mandatory for all passengers in the room to have the beverage package?

Ofcourse the drink packages are for one traveler only and sharing the package is frowned upon, however just wanted to get some honest feedback please. I am asking on behalf of a "casual drinker". If her husband has the drink package, can he buy her a glass of wine at a bar on the way to the dining room, and then use his card 10 minutes later in the dining room to buy himself a glass of wine? Is there a waiting time between purchases?

I found that on Celebrity, if you had the package you could order yourself a wine and also a soft drink or water at the same time. Does RCI also let you do this or strictly one drink at a time?

Thank you for your help :)

Short answer -

Yes, you can get a package and not the others in the cabin.

No, you cannot share a package.

Sure some do share a package but from what they say on the RCI forum they are on to people doing it and the penalties are not worth it.

Myself we worked out that even if we could share a package we would not have enough drinks to make it anywhere near worth it. We could have taken a package and drunk ourselves into a stupor each night, plenty were doing that. We were going to buy as we went, but each time we looked at the prices we though "Nah" so when we left we had nothing to pay. On 16 days we had the two bottles of wine that we brought on board. That was it. Those who were taking full advantage of their drink packages have probably put us off going on another cruise. Found we really don't like to be around that many heavy drinkers and alcoholics.

Short answer -

Yes, you can get a package and not the others in the cabin.

No, you cannot share a package.

Sure some do share a package but from what they say on the RCI forum they are on to people doing it and the penalties are not worth it.

Myself we worked out that even if we could share a package we would not have enough drinks to make it anywhere near worth it. We could have taken a package and drunk ourselves into a stupor each night, plenty were doing that. We were going to buy as we went, but each time we looked at the prices we though "Nah" so when we left we had nothing to pay. On 16 days we had the two bottles of wine that we brought on board. That was it. Those who were taking full advantage of their drink packages have probably put us off going on another cruise. Found we really don't like to be around that many heavy drinkers and alcoholics.

Thank you for your feedback and time in your reply, sorry to hear of your experience with excessive drinkers onboard.

For my partner and I, I think we will take advantage of the 20% off drink packages at the moment and get one each, just because we do like to try different cocktails and wines on a cruise and like the idea of not getting a shock at the end of the cruise with our onboard spend!

I completely understand that the drink package isn't made for sharing, just thought I'd ask to see what anyone's realistic experiences have been. My mum will have one or two drinks a day. It's not much ofcourse to pay for her drinks as we go, but thought I'd see if we could get her wine before dinner using my dad's drink package, and then dad get his wine at the dining room.

Glad to hear not everyone needs to get a drink package in the room, that's great because everyone's habits are different.

If you are going on Royal Caribbean it would be cheaper just to buy the drinks as you go along. The package is extremely expensive and you would have to be an alcoholic in need of urgent treatment for a drinking disorder if you were to drink equal to what the per day allowance allocates. You would also be guaranteed to be walking off the ship a lot larger than when you left.

I went on Radiance of the Seas last December and when I looked at the package and what it was worth I thought there was no way I could drink that much in a day to make it good value for money. So with that in mind I decided to buy as I went along and ended up with a cheaper bar bill than the package would have cost.

I am also going on Diamond Princess this July and their price for the all inclusive package is $70.44 per day. There is no way I would ever drink that much in a day nor would I want to.

Just turn up and pay as you go it is much best and more sensible and that way you wont be encouraged to over drink.

Actually with the cost of premium wines on Royal Caribbean, the package starts to make sense. When we cruised on Rhapsody last year we waited until we boarded, checked the wine lists in the MDR and the price of cocktails, did the sums and it worked out cheaper to buy the package.

Also not everyone drinks to excess in the evenings. Remember some packages cover fresh squeezed orange juice, speciality coffees, sodas, and bottled water as well as alcohol. If you have a cocktail in the afternoon and one before dinner, plus wine/beer with lunch and wine with dinner you are not getting plastered but are getting value from a package.

However we did notice people on that cruise who had obviously consumed more than was wise. Never seen that on Princess or Celebrity though.

If you are going on Royal Caribbean it would be cheaper just to buy the drinks as you go along. The package is extremely expensive and you would have to be an alcoholic in need of urgent treatment for a drinking disorder if you were to drink equal to what the per day allowance allocates. You would also be guaranteed to be walking off the ship a lot larger than when you left.

I went on Radiance of the Seas last December and when I looked at the package and what it was worth I thought there was no way I could drink that much in a day to make it good value for money. So with that in mind I decided to buy as I went along and ended up with a cheaper bar bill than the package would have cost.

I am also going on Diamond Princess this July and their price for the all inclusive package is $70.44 per day. There is no way I would ever drink that much in a day nor would I want to.

Just turn up and pay as you go it is much best and more sensible and that way you wont be encouraged to over drink.

Actually with the cost of premium wines on Royal Caribbean, the package starts to make sense. When we cruised on Rhapsody last year we waited until we boarded, checked the wine lists in the MDR and the price of cocktails, did the sums and it worked out cheaper to buy the package.

Also not everyone drinks to excess in the evenings. Remember some packages cover fresh squeezed orange juice, speciality coffees, sodas, and bottled water as well as alcohol. If you have a cocktail in the afternoon and one before dinner, plus wine/beer with lunch and wine with dinner you are not getting plastered but are getting value from a package.

However we did notice people on that cruise who had obviously consumed more than was wise. Never seen that on Princess or Celebrity though.

Thanks all for your feedback. My partner and I have never been drunk or rowdy on a cruise where we've had the drink package included complimentary, however we really liked the opportunity to not worry about how much our drink bill would be, and the little things like having a glass of champagne at lunch on sea days, finishing the meal with a dessert wine, trying new cocktails throughout the cruise.

I guess for us it's maybe finding an up to date drinks menu for Australian Cruises that include the gratuities in the drink price, and working out how much we would spend per day before 100% buying the package.

Thanks all for your feedback. My partner and I have never been drunk or rowdy on a cruise where we've had the drink package included complimentary, however we really liked the opportunity to not worry about how much our drink bill would be, and the little things like having a glass of champagne at lunch on sea days, finishing the meal with a dessert wine, trying new cocktails throughout the cruise.

I guess for us it's maybe finding an up to date drinks menu for Australian Cruises that include the gratuities in the drink price, and working out how much we would spend per day before 100% buying the package.

I think you have a few days after you board to decide if you want the package or not. At least the day you board you can view the prices.

The only good drink package I found was on Celebrity Solstice way back in 2013 when prices were different.

I like wine with dinner and the occasional drink but will never drink to excess on the ship so the package will not be good value for me.

Actually with the cost of premium wines on Royal Caribbean, the package starts to make sense

Totally agree with OzKiwi. We have cruised 4 times with RC and find that the drinks package is always good value for us, especially with wine costs.

I think you have a few days after you board to decide if you want the package or not. At least the day you board you can view the prices.

The only good drink package I found was on Celebrity Solstice way back in 2013 when prices were different.

I like wine with dinner and the occasional drink but will never drink to excess on the ship so the package will not be good value for me.

RCI are offering 20% off drink packages if booked online prior to travel so we do need to make a decision fairly soon if we want the package.

We are no excessive drinkers every day and don't go onboard to get drunk, but as mentioned in an earlier post, we like to take advantage of being on holidays and not driving to try different drinks, and have an extra wine or so in the evening, extra cocktail by the pool etc.

Thank you for the time in your feedback.

IMO the Drink Packages do not represent "good value" they only offer a saving over the inflated prices that are charged on the ship.

The other objection I have is that they encourage unsafe drinking practices. You have to have the package every day once it starts which discourages people to have alcohol free days which are highly recommended. The use to break even goes up to levels of daily consumption which is also not considered safe.

Yes I know that people do drink more when on holidays etc. but the way that alcohol is marketed on cruises seems to be at odds with responsible promotion. Then it is no surprise that you see many inebriated passengers. I have also heard that alcohol is a significant factor in many accidents on board.

While there were many things I did like about the cruise I went on being surrounded by so many drunks has put me off doing another one. There are much better ways they could manage alcohol sales but I doubt they will change until they are forced to do so.

What are everyone's thoughts on the non alcoholic package? Neither DH nor I drink enough to justify paying for the alcohol package, but we are thinking it would be silly NOT to get the other one (Royal replenish).

While I'm happy to drink tap water, I am absolutely not happy to drink cordial or terrible coffee. If we both have 2 or 3 specialty coffees per day, a freshly squeezed juice and a few bottles of water (I usually drink 3L a day), I think we'll be in the clear. I don't really drink soft drink but DH would have a few if he bought the package. Then we can pay for a glass of wine or a cocktail as needed.

Does Royal replenish cover frozen non-alcoholic cocktails?

Normally soda packages I will go for. When I did Radiance of the Seas they had a flavoured cordial out in the buffet for lunch and some orange type of drink for breakfast. I just picked up the free drinks on offer and it saved me from purchasing.

If I wanted a beer I would just buy it outright and if I wanted wine I would buy it by the bottle. Sometimes the glass if I am in a bar.

I personally found the drinks prices on Royal Caribbean to be reasonable that I never paid more for drinks than the package would have cost.

I thought the wine prices were outrageous on Royal Caribbean. The same wine I paid US $7 a glass for on Golden last month was $11 on RCI last year.

If my memory is correct, 2 cocktails ($14 each) and 3 glasses of premium wine (minimum $11 each) was the break-even point for the Premium drinks package ($57) on Rhapsody, which isn't a lot to drink in a day when on holiday. DH prefers espresso and fresh OJ so he had the Ultimate package ($67), and he got bottled water as well.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

If my memory is correct, 2 cocktails ($14 each) and 3 glasses of premium wine (minimum $11 each) was the break-even point for the Premium drinks package ($57) on Rhapsody, which isn't a lot to drink in a day when on holiday

I find that those prices are very high and the package is only of value when compared to them. Hence why I did not purchase anything from them.

I do like a good coffee so bought a cheap plunger and some nice beans we had freshly ground. We then were able to make our own. The free coffee was undrinkable and I believe the specialty coffee wasn't that much better from talking to other Aussies but the Seppo's seemed to like it.

Let's hope this works for me this time.

We are going on Royal in December, my TA dosen't know anything about the 20% off, so do I just do that myself? Thanks

Yes, just log in to your My Cruises account on the RCI webpage and review and purchase the packages there. At the moment, the discounts are showing for some cruises but not others. I had to wait a few weeks before the discount appeared on my October cruise.

NB purchasing through the RCI webpage is an international transaction so use a credit card with no international fees if you can.

I thought the wine prices were outrageous on Royal Caribbean. The same wine I paid US $7 a glass for on Golden last month was $11 on RCI last year.

I agree - the wines are expensive (and have gone up in price since my November cruise too)

Does Royal replenish cover frozen non-alcoholic cocktails?

Hubby and I got the Royal Replenish package each on Explorer of the Seas, and yes it covers the frozen non-alcoholic cocktails. I highly recommend the virgin Pina-Colada! Very more'ish. The Peach one isnt bad, think the other one we had was Strawberry.

Does anyone know where I can find a menu for the coffee bar that is included in the Royal Replenish Package?

Anybody know which drinks can be ordered virgin??

And lastly, royal is offering the 20% off right now, is it refundable if i change my mind later??

Thanks!!!

Yes, just log in to your My Cruises account on the RCI webpage and review and purchase the packages there. At the moment, the discounts are showing for some cruises but not others. I had to wait a few weeks before the discount appeared on my October cruise.

NB purchasing through the RCI webpage is an international transaction so use a credit card with no international fees if you can.

Thank you so much.

It is actually fairly easy to get value from a drinks package without being in need of urgent treatment for an alcohol problem[emoji849]

Remember that some of these packages cover bottled water (great for shore days) soft drinks and mocktails. As another poster stated, 2 cocktails and 3 glasses of wine and you're ahead. Add in the water etc and it's really not an excessive amount to drink while on holiday.