Pictorial walk to Baths beach

ryansmom

Is the crouching down to get through that narrow crevice the way you HAVE to go to get to the beach? I'm not sure I could do that!

Your picture of the water is unbelievable - doesn't even look real!

Funny how beautiful you think that water is! That is nothing compared to the water in Anegada (which most cruisers don't get to because of it's distance). Here is a pic of that water:

DSC_7436.jpg

That is at the entrance to the Caves....you can crawl on your hands and knees if you have too, but my husband (in the picture) is 5' 10" and he did just fine crouching down (I'm 5' 9" and did the same and so did our son who is 6' 2"). You'll be fine.

Here's a picture of the entrance without my husband in it:

DSC_7235.jpg

Don't worry....it's VACATION!! Everything will be fine :D

THAT picture is of beautiful Caribbean water - the other picture had a surreal, metallic look to the water (I know it was the light/camera/angle but I thought it was very unusual).

Ya know, I really want to go here, it's on my bucket list, so if I have to crawl on my hands and knees so be it.

Ya know, I really want to go here, it's on my bucket list, so if I have to crawl on my hands and knees so be it.

That other pic of the water was on a cloudy day...and a little churned up. We had never seen it like that before, was always so clear and much calmer, that was very unusual for there...

lol....you won't have to crawl on your hands and knees...absolutely go and enjoy it for everything it is. It truly is amazing....you won't be disappointed.

I think all the reviews of walking down the path and 'crouching' down scares people. It really isn't all as difficult as some people make it seem.

Bottom line: if you can walk and are steady on your feet, you will be able to walk down to the beach and through the caves absolutely NO problem.

Enjoy it and have fun! :)

Edited by ryansmom

• 1 month later...

Thank you so much for posting the pics to get to the baths! This was very helpful. We plan on going in Nov, 2015 with my sister who does not exercise much. After seeing this, I KNOW she can get down to the baths.

But, how do you get back? - Does a ferry pick you up from the bottom? Or do you walk back up? Approximately how much time does this excursion take? -

After walking down to the baths, can you walk over to Spring Bay and have your taxi pick you up from there?

How much is the ferry from Road Harbour? How much is the taxi?

We will be a group of 6.

Sorry for so many questions - Thanks to anything you can answer.

Sheila

But, how do you get back? - Does a ferry pick you up from the bottom? Or do you walk back up? Approximately how much time does this excursion take? -

The typical experience is walking down the main trail to the beach, walking through the boulders to Devil's Beach, then back up the path from there. You can spend a couple hrs at the Baths, an hour at Spring Bay, perhaps an hour at the Top or at the Mineshaft Cafe for lunch, and another hour in Spanishtown shopping or having lunch at the Bath & Turtle.

After walking down to the baths, can you walk over to Spring Bay and have your taxi pick you up from there?

You can easily walk to Spring Bay from the Top.

We will be a group of 6.

You'll want to hook up with a taxi driver at the ferry terminal when you arrive on Virgin Gorda and he/she will work with you by dropping you at the Top of the Baths, returning to pick you up at Spring Bay, etc. You'll pay at the end.

Ferry is $30pp roundtrip, one of the ferry companies offers a package that included the ferry, taxi to and from the Baths, and lunch at the Bath & Turtle in Spanishtown. But that doesn't give you the most freedom, of course. Taxi fares are very reasonable, you can google them as well.

Nice day!

Edited by blue_water

• 4 weeks later...
Huge thanks for all this info!!

How much would I expect to pay for a 4ppl family to do the taxi as specified above?....

Taxi fare from the ferry to the top of the baths is probably $4pp each way, less for kids under 11. Fares are reasonable, this link shows fares and prices for waiting, etc.

http://www.bvivacation.com/transportation/virgin-gorda-taxi-fares-rates.php#.VRtFBmY4R4s

• 3 weeks later...
That other pic of the water was on a cloudy day...and a little churned up. We had never seen it like that before, was always so clear and much calmer, that was very unusual for there...

lol....you won't have to crawl on your hands and knees...absolutely go and enjoy it for everything it is. It truly is amazing....you won't be disappointed.

I think all the reviews of walking down the path and 'crouching' down scares people. It really isn't all as difficult as some people make it seem.

Bottom line: if you can walk and are steady on your feet, you will be able to walk down to the beach and through the caves absolutely NO problem.

Enjoy it and have fun! :)

Thank you for all of your info! You are right, so many of the reviews do scare me. But, your post really helps!

Thank you for all of your info! You are right, so many of the reviews do scare me. But, your post really helps!

You're welcome. It's the reason I took & posted the pictures. Seeing it and hearing about it can be very different. I look to others' reviews for what to expect. I figured I'd take the pictures so people can SEE what to expect. :)

Yes that was a helpful visual aid for folksfirst-timers - Very nice!:)

There are also several videos on youtube as well as photos if you google "The Baths of Virgin Gorda". But seeing too much can also take away from the first experience.

The typical experience is walking down the main trail to the beach, walking through the boulders to Devil's Beach, then back up the path from there. You can spend a couple hrs at the Baths, an hour at Spring Bay, perhaps an hour at the Top or at the Mineshaft Cafe for lunch, and another hour in Spanishtown shopping or having lunch at the Bath & Turtle.

You can easily walk to Spring Bay from the Top.

We will be a group of 6.

You'll want to hook up with a taxi driver at the ferry terminal when you arrive on Virgin Gorda and he/she will work with you by dropping you at the Top of the Baths, returning to pick you up at Spring Bay, etc. You'll pay at the end.

Ferry is $30pp roundtrip, one of the ferry companies offers a package that included the ferry, taxi to and from the Baths, and lunch at the Bath & Turtle in Spanishtown. But that doesn't give you the most freedom, of course. Taxi fares are very reasonable, you can google them as well.

Nice day!

Thanks, blue_water for all the helpful info ( and everyone else who posted ). I'm still trying to get a clear picture of this area in my mind, and this all helped immensely.

Am still not clear on Spring Bay. We had thought we might spend some time there after exploring the Baths. If I understand correctly, after walking through the "Baths", we will end up at Devil's Bay and we can walk back to the top from there. But, in order to get from the Devil's Bay Area over to Spring Bay, is it necessary to first go back to the "top" and then take the other trail from the Top of the Baths to Spring Bay? In other words, is it possible to just walk down the beach from Devil's to Spring Bay, or is that impossible due to the rock formations? It seems crazy to walk to the top and then walk back down.:confused:.

Another question is should we even bother to try and carry a beach bag with towels etc, or is this too cumbersome to try and get through the Baths with?

Edited by punkincc

• 5 months later...
I see a lot of people asking about the walk from the Top of the Baths to the beach. Well, I remembered this and while there this year, I took pictures along the way. (The last time we were here, we dinghyed in from our boat to Devil's Bay and snorkeled and walked toward the beach on the trail. This year, we took a taxi to the top of Virgin Gorda [the touristy way] and to the Top of the Baths.)

So, here are pictures of the walk down to the beach. Most of it was an easy walk, I tried to take pictures of the more difficult spots:

I wanted to include all the photos in one post, so just click on the word to see the picture.

Here we are at the top/beginning. This is where the restaurant is (which, was good!)

Stepping down.

A few more steps down.

More steps before leveling out.

More flattened path.

Steps with a handrail!

Walking down.

Narrow walkway.

Funky rock near the bottom and restrooms.

Easy stairs/pathway.

We made it!

And, I didn't notice the lockers until we were on our way out.

Top of the Baths restaurant.

Lunch menu.

The pool and restaurant.

Hope this is helpful and answers some of those questions! :)

These pictures were so helpful! Thank you. I will be in Tortola in a few weeks and almost decided not to see the baths because i thought the trails would be to much for my 3 year old. But he can handle these with no problem, as long as there is a hand being held.

Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These pictures were so helpful! Thank you. I will be in Tortola in a few weeks and almost decided not to see the baths because i thought the trails would be to much for my 3 year old. But he can handle these with no problem, as long as there is a hand being held.

Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For kids....absolutely! It's usually the older folks with mobility issues that might have a problem. I think if you have good balance walking this walk is not a problem.

For kids....no problem :D

Glad I could help.

Enjoy!

Edited by ryansmom

• 5 months later...
About how long would you say the whole walk up is? I'm reading a couple post and it's a little hard to picture? Just want to plan out my timing on when to go back to ship!

According to the time stamps I have on the first picture at the beginning, and the last picture at the bottom, I would say about 10-15 minutes.

This included stops for pictures along the way and very possibly a potty stop at the bottom. It's not far....if you leave 15-20 minutes, you should have more than enough time.

This was also just us....not a mass of cruise ship people either. It may be a bit slower going if you're with a large group of ship people walking their way down/up also.

According to the time stamps I have on the first picture at the beginning, and the last picture at the bottom, I would say about 10-15 minutes.

This included stops for pictures along the way and very possibly a potty stop at the bottom. It's not far....if you leave 15-20 minutes, you should have more than enough time.

This was also just us....not a mass of cruise ship people either. It may be a bit slower going if you're with a large group of ship people walking their way down/up also.

Nice! Not bad at all! Thanks for the info!

• 2 months later...
Imagine my surprise when I see you here when doing research on Tortola! Haven't read yet, but I know you will have some of the best pictures!!!

Hope all is well with you..

Jen

Hey girl!!

Yes, I remembered so many people asking how the walk was, so I took pictures to SHOW people...you know me ;) IF we go that route again this summer, *maybe* I'll remember to take video?! :rolleyes:

Actually planning sailing back in the BVI....leaving 7/6 for 10 days. Looking forward to it!

I'm sorry I'm not much help on Tortola for ya...we only visit the marina there to pick up our sailboat. But, by now, I'm sure you have some research done!

Have a fabulous trip!!

Hey girl!!

Yes, I remembered so many people asking how the walk was, so I took pictures to SHOW people...you know me ;) IF we go that route again this summer, *maybe* I'll remember to take video?! :rolleyes:

Actually planning sailing back in the BVI....leaving 7/6 for 10 days. Looking forward to it!

I'm sorry I'm not much help on Tortola for ya...we only visit the marina there to pick up our sailboat. But, by now, I'm sure you have some research done!

Have a fabulous trip!!

Thanks. It should be a great one. I haven't done as much research as I should have but I hope to in the next week. Life has been busy but a good busy.