Beware the golf carts.

tallyho8

We were on a cruise with a couple who weren't able to walk too far and we wanted to see the malecon. The taxi or shuttle are only $3 pp there but when they let you off you can walk quite a way so they wanted to see if we could ride golf carts on the malecon.

The golf cart was $60 for 3 hours and the man who rented it assured us we could ride up and down the malecon seeing everything.

The cart rental agency has workers on the malecon and when we left they radioed ahead to let them know we were going to try to ride on the malecon.

When we got there they pulled us over and said no golf carts are allowed on the malecon but that we could park it "for free" by their special bar and restaurant. We declined their "fabulous" offer and drove down the back road to Blue Kay where we ate and drank and a couple of us walked the malecon.

We had to do just as much walking with the cart as if we had taken the $3 taxi and when we got back and told the attendant that he lied to us about being able to ride on the malecon, he just asked us "are you going to report me?"

As we walked back to the ship he yells "aren't you going to tip me?" All I could do was say "Yeah, don't lie to the tourists".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We just got back from our cruise on the 15th... we rented a golf cart and it was not in the best of shape at all.... stalled more then a few times and the steering was ready to fall out of it.... we go to see things from a slow perspective so it worked out for us

I know now though that if we ever go back to Costa Maya, we will never go any further then the pool and bar on the dock!

We just got back from our cruise on the 15th... we rented a golf cart and it was not in the best of shape at all.... stalled more then a few times and the steering was ready to fall out of it.... we go to see things from a slow perspective so it worked out for us

I know now though that if we ever go back to Costa Maya, we will never go any further then the pool and bar on the dock!

I respect your opinion based on your experience. We have gone to Costa Maya since 2004.

This new pool and bar area is OK but there is more to experience. Look at an all inclusive and enjoy no crowds and a great day on the beach.

Lots of posts on many of these.

I would not get off of the ship to just go to the port area.

• 4 weeks later...

All the places in town are much cheaper than port area. Never understood the need to rent a golf cart, pretty expensive and you cannot go that far anyway. There are many places in the town that rent bicycles and they can be riden on the malecon, you can ride the full length of the malecon in 30 minutes easy and pass like 25 bat restaurants on the beach and 50 places to buy souvenirs