Dutch and French Side

We are in port late Aug with Carnival for the day and trying to figure out if we want to do either the Dutch and French side.

We like to spend time at a beach with some rental chairs and drinks and maybe snorkel and some shopping.

Trying to do the research on which side is better to go to. Any recommendations would be great.

Cheers!

I have never explored the Dutch side, we always go to Orient Beach which is on the French side. The beach is beautiful and there is a lot to do, but I would not recommend it for snorkeling. You can rent chairs and umbrella's from any of the bars along the beach, the few we have been too rent you the chairs/umbrella and give you a drink coupon or two. Just a disclosure for Orient, there is one part that is sectioned off by rocks/boulders at the end that is a nude beach, you can not see anything. But just a heads up! The beach is a long beach, so you can go somewhere in the middle and would not need to worry about that part.

If you like the beach and shopping, then I would suggest grabbing a taxi to Orient as soon as you get off the ship. Our favorite spot there is Orange Fever, which I understand is reopening tomorrow (Saturday). Great deal for chairs, umbrella, facilities and a free drink on our last visit.

There is very limited snorkeling off to the right in front of the (Clothing Optional) Club Orient.

I would definitely hit the beach first, and then if you have time visit Philipsburg for shopping. You don't need to buy stuff and carry it with you to the beach. :(

gary