Help me decide what to do in Ocho Rios

bre

Hi all... We are heading to Ocho Rios in just a few weeks, and I have yet to decide what to do. We have already visited Blue Hole on our last trip, and ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT. But we want do something different, this time around. So what are your fave things to do in the Ocho Rios area. There will be 15 of us. Ages ranging from 60 to 10.

• 2 weeks later...

Jamaica is not a place I would choose to go to without a solid plan. For us that has included going zip lining with a ship excursion and going to a resort that I booked ahead of time and had transportation arranged. These days it includes staying on the ship. I recommend having a plan.

Does anyone know if you can just get off the ship and find a tour bus that will take you around the island for a couple hours. Or, would it be best to find a private company and book ahead.

Thanks

Claudia

Just got back from a cruise where we visited Jamaica. A couple of years ago we had used Marks Tours and went to Dunn River Falls, lunch, and an area tour. We had a great time.

This year went back with brother N sister in law. About a week before traveling I contacted Marks Tours and asked for just a tour of the island (no swimming this trip). Mark quoted us a price, I asked if he could do it for a little less and he said yes.

We get to Jamaica and find Mark. While sitting in his Van, preparing to go, DH spotted another couple being "harassed" by another "tour" person. Joe stuck his head out of the van and asked if they would like to join us and gave the original price Mark had stated he'd do for us. The couple jumped in the Van and Mark explained what type of tour he was doing for us, gave the lower price he was doing for us. Also said if they wanted to be dropped off at Dunn River Falls, or anywhere else he could do that too.

Mark was going to spend 3 to 4 hours with us. In the end, he spent about 5.5 hours with us. We went to scenic overlook area for photos, the private home of a pottery maker, a local restaurant for Jerk Chicken, tour of island around Ocho Rios, stopped at Mystic Mountain where we saw a very unusual tree. (None of us had any desire to go up the tram). He took us to a local ice cream shop for Mango Icecream, hung around which we shopped. Took us to a small beach & shopping area close to one of the dock and waited around for us there. There are two docks at Ocho Rios. The NCL Getaway was at one, (this was the one with the beach area and shops) NCL Spirit was at the other. We were on the spirit.

All six of us had a wonderful day. His website is http://www.markstours.com

Enjoy your trip.

Just got back from a cruise where we visited Jamaica. A couple of years ago we had used Marks Tours and went to Dunn River Falls, lunch, and an area tour. We had a great time.

This year went back with brother N sister in law. About a week before traveling I contacted Marks Tours and asked for just a tour of the island (no swimming this trip). Mark quoted us a price, I asked if he could do it for a little less and he said yes.

We get to Jamaica and find Mark. While sitting in his Van, preparing to go, DH spotted another couple being "harassed" by another "tour" person. Joe stuck his head out of the van and asked if they would like to join us and gave the original price Mark had stated he'd do for us. The couple jumped in the Van and Mark explained what type of tour he was doing for us, gave the lower price he was doing for us. Also said if they wanted to be dropped off at Dunn River Falls, or anywhere else he could do that too.

Mark was going to spend 3 to 4 hours with us. In the end, he spent about 5.5 hours with us. We went to scenic overlook area for photos, the private home of a pottery maker, a local restaurant for Jerk Chicken, tour of island around Ocho Rios, stopped at Mystic Mountain where we saw a very unusual tree. (None of us had any desire to go up the tram). He took us to a local ice cream shop for Mango Icecream, hung around which we shopped. Took us to a small beach & shopping area close to one of the dock and waited around for us there. There are two docks at Ocho Rios. The NCL Getaway was at one, (this was the one with the beach area and shops) NCL Spirit was at the other. We were on the spirit.

All six of us had a wonderful day. His website is www.markstours.com

Enjoy your trip.

Thanks so much for the reply. I will check out marks tours soon.

Claudia

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

All six of us had a wonderful day. His website is http://www.markstours.com

Enjoy your trip.

Thanks for the info. I'm just starting to plan for our stop here. The ship excursions don't excite me very much.

Thanks for the info. I'm just starting to plan for our stop here. The ship excursions don't excite me very much.

While you are at it, check out Phil Lafayettes' tours. He does a terrific job at making sure you have a really good time. Jamaicaphil dot com. :D